Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 PM

511 posts, read 399,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
People get way too animated over the whole "Is Texas Southern or not?" question.

I live in Houston which is definitely a nice Southern/International mix. I used to live in Dallas/Fort Worth which had elements of the South, Southwest, and the Midwest/Great Plains.

Not every part of Texas is Southern though. El Paso certainly isnt. I wouldnt consider Laredo or the Valley Southern either. Not every part of Texas is Southwestern either. Houston and East Texas certainly are not.

Texas is just Texas. Its like asking if California is more like Northern California or Southern California. Its both and a lot more too. Its the same with Texas.
Houston is definitely Southern if you ask me. For some reasons it has a larger international vibe to it than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
People get way too animated over the whole "Is Texas Southern or not?" question.

I live in Houston which is definitely a nice Southern/International mix. I used to live in Dallas/Fort Worth which had elements of the South, Southwest, and the Midwest/Great Plains.

Not every part of Texas is Southern though. El Paso certainly isnt. I wouldnt consider Laredo or the Valley Southern either. Not every part of Texas is Southwestern either. Houston and East Texas ,
Texas is just Texas. Its like asking if California is more like Northern California or Southern California. Its both and a lot more too. Its the same with Texas.
I totally agree. Like California (due to it's size) or other "border" states (due to their location), it's ridiculous to try to force Texas into one stereotype.

My husband works a lot in the Midland area - DEFINITELY a different vibe from the east Texas region. I agree, it's not really a southern vibe, it's more southwest which is definitely a different feel.

But I like it all.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Houston is definitely Southern if you ask me. For some reasons it has a larger international vibe to it than Atlanta.
Of course. Houston is undoubtedly more international than Atlanta.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 512 times
East Texas is part of the American South. The rest of Texas is Southwest. Disagree? Texas is more cowboy, boots and hat, Tex-Mex, open skies, buffalo trail, Hispanic, Native American, then it is Southern. Yes, Texas does have elements of both distinct areas. But if we have to choose, especially a state is almost majority Hispanic, Largely Spanish-speaking, and home to Chili, The Alamo, San Antone, El Paso, the Rio Grande Valley, Amarillo, Fort Worth (where the West begins), Odessa and Midland, and home to miles and miles of open country, you have to be damn near blind to suggest it is not the Southwest.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
As I said above, these questions and the attempts to answer them make exactly as much sense as:

"France - is it part of Germany, or Spain?"
" Korea - is it part of China, or Japan?"
"Panama - is it part of North America, or South America?"
"Is Canada an Hispanic nation, or an Asian one?"

Old 08-23-2018, 06:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAENZ90 View Post
East Texas is part of the American South. The rest of Texas is Southwest. Disagree? Texas is more cowboy, boots and hat, Tex-Mex, open skies, buffalo trail, Hispanic, Native American, then it is Southern. Yes, Texas does have elements of both distinct areas. But if we have to choose, especially a state is almost majority Hispanic, Largely Spanish-speaking, and home to Chili, The Alamo, San Antone, El Paso, the Rio Grande Valley, Amarillo, Fort Worth (where the West begins), Odessa and Midland, and home to miles and miles of open country, you have to be damn near blind to suggest it is not the Southwest.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAENZ90 View Post
I was in Beaumont yesterday and it felt 100% Mississippi-Southern to me. Then I'm back in Austin and it feels somewhat Southern, but not much. It rather feels like California here. Texas has so many regional influences.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Everything Fort Worth and Westward is the Southwest. Much of West Texas is also Southern Baptist.

Everything San Antonio and Southward is Mexican, everything between Dallas and San Antonio is distinctly "Texan".

Everything East of Interstate 35 is the Deep South.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,153 times
Texas is kinda big.....

DFW- Midwestern
West Texas- Great Plains
Houston- Southern
ATX/SA- SW
Rio Grande- Border region?

Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Texas is kinda big.....

DFW- Midwestern
West Texas- Great Plains
Houston- Southern
ATX/SA- SW
Rio Grande- Border region?
Texas is so big that it varies greatly even within its each subregion. For example, in East Texas, Beaumont and Port Arthur remind me of SW Louisiana whereas Tyler and Longview share similarities with Arkansas or Central Mississippi. In West Texas, El Paso could be somewhere in New Mexico while San Angelo has more of a Hill Country and Texan feel. Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Fort Worth all could be in Oklahoma/Eastern NM. The Rio Grande Valley region is its own thing just like Central Texas and is heavily Mexican, but visually it looks like somewhere in Florida with its own coastal vibe. Laredo, TX is like 99% Hispanic and while it's not in the RGV, it doesn't resemble Mexico nor anywhere in Texas both culturally and aesthetically. WOW! Texas is so weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas