Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 18,149 times

Advertisements

I wanted to drop a thread in here in discussion of the views other Texans have on the border "problem" that is the drug trade and seemingly dangerous border. I posted this in the Austin part of the Texas thread to get a diverse readership and response.

I'm a Junior at Texas A&M International University in Laredo, TX. Of course many of our instructors are not indigenous to Laredo, and many professors that are from Texas that come to Laredo have a predisposed notion that Laredo is a very dangerous city, and is "almost like living in Mexico itself."

I don't find this offensive at all, but rather, I find it amusing to know how people are so unaware of how it is in our realm of the border. As of lately the other side of the border, Nuevo Laredo, has been pretty quiet. This is in part due to the government and local media suppressing the actual events that are going on over there. But does everyone really think of Laredo as a dangerous town? One that is over taken by drug related crimes and chaos? I know the actual overall aura of the city and how quiet or loud it is and can be. We have our share of crimes, believe me. But nothing like what the professors from east and north Texas have described.

One professor from east Texas told me that her friends and family were fearful of her being in danger by coming to Laredo and how "chaotic" it is with the craziness happening just right across the border. But in all honesty it is black and white when it comes to Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.

What does everyone else think? What are your views on the situation on the border and what you've heard about Laredo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I think people are generally idiots and make wild assumptions about places they have never been based on what media figures say.

I never assumed for a minute that living in Nuevo Laredo was all that different from living in any other hellistically hot small city. My mother thinks that you can get killed going to the mall in Phoenix by "all the gangs." Too much MSNBC, Glen Beck and not enough "seeing for yourself."

It's kind of like people who think that riding the subway in NYC is taking your life in your hands. Ignorant.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 18,149 times
I guess you are right. The media is what hypes it up to be this jumble of chaos with guys running out of cars and shooting up places and driving off without getting caught. It's funny to imagine my hometown as a wild west of some sort.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I think the media has created a generation of hysteric scaredycats. The chances of an innocent person being the victim of a violent crime in a Mexican border town are probably (and I say probably because I'm way too lazy to look up factual data ... lol) are about the same as in Detroit.

My husband and I were in Acuna recently and talked to a couple shopkeepers and taxi drivers about the so-called dangers and they all agreed on one thing: the fearmongering has really, really hurt their livelihood. The town was virtually empty while we were there. One of the taxi drivers we spoke to said it best: "If you are here to make trouble, it's easy to find it. If you come in peace, you will leave in it".

Your average every-day citizen and tourist need not worry nearly as much about violence as a member of a drug cartel or street gang IMO.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Yes but fear-mongering = scared citizens = more power for the government = often foolish choices

I'm afraid Gay Marriage will destroy my family. (Baloney)
I'm afraid of Mexican border towns (Baloney)
I'm afraid of all these sex offenders going around murdering kids (Rare to the point of infanticimle chances)
I'm afraid of all these people trying to steal my identity! (Almost never happens)
I'm afraid of gangs driving around with their lights off and shoorting at people (Urban legend)
I'm afraid of drunk drivers. They're everywhere. (A problem, but exaggerated)

MORE LAWS! MORE LAWS!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I wish we had a better border and immigration policy.
I think the 'violence' on the border is related to the drug trade; I wish we had a better drug policy in which drug usage were decriminalized.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm afraid of gangs driving around with their lights off and shoorting at people (Urban legend)
Haha! reminds me of a great scene from the Ben Stiller film Flirting With Disaster, when his hysterical uptight Jewish parents (played by George Segal and Mary Tyler Moore) warn him of the dangers of driving in Southern California ...

"The gangsters are all carjackers out there. They bump you, then they mutilate you".

Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I wish we had a better border and immigration policy.
I think the 'violence' on the border is related to the drug trade; I wish we had a better drug policy in which drug usage were decriminalized.
You must spread around reputation before giving it to mimimomx3 again.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You must spread around reputation before giving it to mimimomx3 again.

I feel it!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Mexico is a narco state period, owned and run by the worst criminal scum you can imagine. Calderon is 100% corrupt and is simply going after the rivals to the leading cartels in Mexico. The people who own him.

Not that the US isnt corrupt. Its a bad joke to think that we spend billions on 'the war on drugs' and we know where 95% of these drugs come into the country.(via Mexico) Yet we stop a miniscule fraction of it. Obviously the corruption isnt just in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas