Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,746 times

Advertisements

Hi Colorado girl, i am almost in the same boat as you are! My boyfriend and i would like to get married in the next few years but he has just recently accepted a wonderful job offer in McAllen. He is definitely going to move down in April however i am unsure about leaving Houston to go to a place like McAllen. I am a very positive open minded person however a bit nervous about living in McAllen after reading the bad but true comments. I also would like to buy a house and have children in the near future. OH, and my boyfriend thinks he is tiger woods i think so that is good news about the golf course...LOL! Good luck to you and your family Sincerely, Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Pros: Mild winters

Cons: Very hot summers, flat topography, woefully lacking public schools, lack of diversity, dark on light racism within the Mexicans, no high end retail, no museums, symphonies, etc, political corruption, abject poverty in many areas, very poor customer service at restaurants, uninsured motorists, good concert venue but only bands and acts that were popular 10 years ago or more perform there, and a drug war that is increasingly spilling over the border.

If you are moving from Houston to the Valley, I give you about 2 years before you come back or move elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM

56 posts, read 187,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Pros: Mild winters

Cons: Very hot summers, flat topography, woefully lacking public schools, lack of diversity, dark on light racism within the Mexicans, no high end retail, no museums, symphonies, etc, political corruption, abject poverty in many areas, very poor customer service at restaurants, uninsured motorists, good concert venue but only bands and acts that were popular 10 years ago or more perform there, and a drug war that is increasingly spilling over the border.

If you are moving from Houston to the Valley, I give you about 2 years before you come back or move elsewhere.
The summer is not hotter than Houston. The topography is just as flat. The public schools are bad all over the country. What's so important about diversity? That sounds like something out of a politician's campaign platform. What "high end retail" items can't be purchased here, making this an issue worth mentioning? Am I missing some retail items I don't know about, that are pertinent to living a happy life? What museums in Houston are a must-see to living a happy life? If they're so good, can't we all take a road trip there? Isn't that what vacations are for? Or is it necessary that a museum should be local, so we can go on a monthly basis. I've never been to a symphony, but can't we have our own home symphony if we purchase some top-end speakers, a CD player, some CD's, and a good acoustic arrangement? Political corruption is rampant everywhere. It's just that the idiot politicians here get caught more often. No matter where you go, you'll find politicians that work for their campaign supporters, not their constituents, with an attidude that they're above the law. Although there is abject poverty in many areas, nobody is forced to live in those areas. There are areas like that in Houston too. You can always purchase insurance coverage for 'uninsured motorists', can't you? That can't be too big of a financial deal for one who might seek out high end retail stores and symphonies in Houston. As for the "drug war", how many people who are not involved in the drug trade, have been killed on this side of the border, in Hidalgo county? Zero? You're more likely to get killed in a car accident in Houston than in the McAllen drug war. What important concerts were not in the RGV this year, but were in Houston? If I missed anything, I'm better off not losing my hearing even more, anyhow. That's one thing concerts can do for you. You're right about poor restaurant service in the RGV, but that's just a reminder that it's better to stay home and eat healthy food, instead of all that restaurant garbage loaded with MSG, refined sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, nasty preservatives, and much more.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdd View Post
The summer is not hotter than Houston. The topography is just as flat. The public schools are bad all over the country. What's so important about diversity? That sounds like something out of a politician's campaign platform. What "high end retail" items can't be purchased here, making this an issue worth mentioning? Am I missing some retail items I don't know about, that are pertinent to living a happy life? What museums in Houston are a must-see to living a happy life? If they're so good, can't we all take a road trip there? Isn't that what vacations are for? Or is it necessary that a museum should be local, so we can go on a monthly basis. I've never been to a symphony, but can't we have our own home symphony if we purchase some top-end speakers, a CD player, some CD's, and a good acoustic arrangement? Political corruption is rampant everywhere. It's just that the idiot politicians here get caught more often. No matter where you go, you'll find politicians that work for their campaign supporters, not their constituents, with an attidude that they're above the law. Although there is abject poverty in many areas, nobody is forced to live in those areas. There are areas like that in Houston too. You can always purchase insurance coverage for 'uninsured motorists', can't you? That can't be too big of a financial deal for one who might seek out high end retail stores and symphonies in Houston. As for the "drug war", how many people who are not involved in the drug trade, have been killed on this side of the border, in Hidalgo county? Zero? You're more likely to get killed in a car accident in Houston than in the McAllen drug war. What important concerts were not in the RGV this year, but were in Houston? If I missed anything, I'm better off not losing my hearing even more, anyhow. That's one thing concerts can do for you. You're right about poor restaurant service in the RGV, but that's just a reminder that it's better to stay home and eat healthy food, instead of all that restaurant garbage loaded with MSG, refined sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, nasty preservatives, and much more.
Are you trying to make an argument for the Valley? Because really, you sound like more of an apologist than anything.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 AM

108 posts, read 367,104 times
Quote:
good concert venue but only bands and acts that were popular 10 years ago or more perform there, .
not really. alot of celeberties came to the valley...

Pop music: Kelly Clarkson, Cher, Hillary Duff, Donna Summer, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Shakira, Raven Symone, Jesse McCartney, Avril Lavigne, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers

Country: Rascal Flatts, Brooks & Dunn, Big & Rich, Gretchen Wilson, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Lonestar, George Striaght in May 2009

Rock: ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Montley Crue, Journey, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Korn, 3 Doors Down, Kid Rock Velvet Revolver, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin

Rap: Chris Brown, Daddy Yankee, Ciara, Akon, Nelly

I think half of the names are mention. i could go on forever!

Dodge Arena
Dodge Arena in Hidalgo (Basicly McAllen)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
I dislike Houston a lot, A LOT. But boy do I have to breakdown mitchdd's post because, well, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdd View Post
The summer is not hotter than Houston.
Yes, yes it is.

Averages:

McAllen
May: 90 Jun: 94 Jul: 96 Aug: 96
McAllen, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston
May: 86 Jun: 91 Jul: 94 Aug: 93
Climate of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The topography is just as flat.
Sure but the place has more water features and better vegetation.
Quote:
The public schools are bad all over the country.
What? No they're not. There are plenty of good or great public schools in this country. Just because all of the RGV has ****-poor public schools doesn't mean it's the same everywhere else. And please let that be a delusional comment and not some type of excuse.

Quote:
What's so important about diversity? That sounds like something out of a politician's campaign platform.
<--- added after I decided I needed to do a rating.

This flat out gets 5 out of 5.

Quote:
What "high end retail" items can't be purchased here, making this an issue worth mentioning?
Many. No, A lot. No, tons.

Quote:
Am I missing some retail items I don't know about, that are pertinent to living a happy life?
Who said anything about "happy lives", the comment was high-end.

Quote:
What museums in Houston are a must-see to living a happy life? If they're so good, can't we all take a road trip there?
Yes, a 800 mile road trip to see a Museum.

<--- added after I decided I needed to do a rating.

Quote:
Isn't that what vacations are for? Or is it necessary that a museum should be local, so we can go on a monthly basis.
So some people, yes, a good local museum is a great thing to have. You know, for educational purposes or basic intellectual ENJOYMENT.

Quote:
I've never been to a symphony, but can't we have our own home symphony if we purchase some top-end speakers, a CD player, some CD's, and a good acoustic arrangement?
I think I'll rate some of your comments with the head slapping smiley. Five being the most. This particular comment gets three out of five.

Quote:
Although there is abject poverty in many areas, nobody is forced to live in those areas. There are areas like that in Houston too.
The difference is the ratio of goof neighborhood to bad neighborhood overwhelming favors bad neighborhood in the RGV.

You can always purchase insurance coverage for 'uninsured motorists', can't you? That can't be too big of a financial deal for one who might seek out high end retail stores and symphonies in Houston.

Quote:
What important concerts were not in the RGV this year, but were in Houston? If I missed anything, I'm better off not losing my hearing even more, anyhow.
Is any concert important? No really. But if you're asking what big event/top headlining concerts did RGV not get, well, a lot.

Madonna, Celine Dion, Lil Wayne, Elton John and Billy Joel. I could go on.

Quote:
You're right about poor restaurant service in the RGV, but that's just a reminder that it's better to stay home and eat healthy food, instead of all that restaurant garbage loaded with MSG, refined sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, nasty preservatives, and much more.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
Quote:
The difference is the ratio of goof neighborhood to bad neighborhood overwhelming favors bad neighborhood in the RGV.
I don't know if I'd want to be around goof neighborhoods.

Sorry, I just thought the typo was a bit humorous, and this thread needs a bit of humor.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
I don't know if I'd want to be around goof neighborhoods.

Sorry, I just thought the typo was a bit humorous, and this thread needs a bit of humor.
Oops. I was typing a bit too fast. I need to proofread more often. lol

Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956kidd View Post
not really. alot of celeberties came to the valley...

Pop music: Kelly Clarkson, Cher, Hillary Duff, Donna Summer, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Shakira, Raven Symone, Jesse McCartney, Avril Lavigne, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers

Country: Rascal Flatts, Brooks & Dunn, Big & Rich, Gretchen Wilson, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Lonestar, George Striaght in May 2009

Rock: ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Montley Crue, Journey, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Korn, 3 Doors Down, Kid Rock Velvet Revolver, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin

Rap: Chris Brown, Daddy Yankee, Ciara, Akon, Nelly
Okay maybe not popular 10 years ago, but c'mon. With a few exceptions, those performers on your list are going to draw 1000 people or less in a major city. In the Valley, they draw a full house because people get sick of getting drunk and talking about crappy Valley HS football with the Tios at a weekend bbq. Daddy Yankee? Donna Summer? Akon? Rascal Flats? They'd be lucky if they could book a bar that seats 500 people in Houston.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 PM

108 posts, read 367,104 times
Quote:
Okay maybe not popular 10 years ago, but c'mon. With a few exceptions, those performers on your list are going to draw 1000 people or less in a major city. In the Valley, they draw a full house because people get sick of getting drunk and talking about crappy Valley HS football with the Tios at a weekend bbq. Daddy Yankee? Donna Summer? Akon? Rascal Flats? They'd be lucky if they could book a bar that seats 500 people in Houston.
well maybe because houston has concerts about mostly every week! smaller metros that don't of course draw big crowds. i think you just have a grudge against the vlaley. but im not gonna debate about it because everyone knows the number of valleyites dont outnumber the percentage of Texans who dislike the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas