Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM

167 posts, read 335,026 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

My wife and I live in Fort Worth and are looking to drive down the I-35 corridor to Austin and San Antonio during July 4 weekend.

We would LOVE some suggestions on some great and unique places to visit. We will be staying in Austin for one night, and San Antonio for 2 nights.

Currently we plan to visit:

Inner Space Caverns
Bats @ Congress Ave Bridge
SA Riverwalk
Alamo (went in 2009 but it was closed!)

Anything worth checking out on 6th st in Austin? We are in our 20s, but not really big on the party lifestyle.

I've heard great things about Fredericksburg too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
To much to list for Fredericksburg. A few things to see are the old tunnel bat cave, the naval museum (its big), bakeries and good restaurants on every block, wildseed farms... Also look up Luckenbach and try to visit Gruene near New Braunfels if you like things that are unique to Tx.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 PM

We might make the day trip to Fredericksburg from SA. Still undecided

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
You MUST see the July 4th Parade in Fredericksburg!!! Bring chairs, and get there early to grab a good spot. The parade is one of the best I've ever seen! WW2 military vehicles from the Nimitz Museum, floats from local businesses and organizations, antique autos and tractors, horses, fire trucks, etc... It's a lot of fun!

You really could spend the whole July 4the weekend in FBG. They will be doing horse races during the day and fireworks at night at the Fairgrounds, and the Nimitz will be doing battle reenactments on the weekend. The 27 area wineries will be open, as will Wildseed Farms and Das Peach Haus. Find a cute B&B on http://www.fredericksburglodging.com and have a blast!!!

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to drive I35 on a holiday weekend. Nope. We take 281 when we head to the Hill Country. Sure, it's a little longer drive, but it's so less stressful than I35!!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly, you couldn't pay me to drive I35 on a holiday weekend. Nope. We take 281 when we head to the Hill Country. Sure, it's a little longer drive, but it's so less stressful than I35!!
+1

Old 06-14-2014, 07:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Amen to that!

To the OP:

I could suggest dozens of things...what kinds of things do y'all like to do?

Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM

I'm not a HUGE fan of amusement parks, and we've gone to Seaworld. Natural Bridge Caverns is on the list. My wife is all about some shopping, and we LOVE some good local food. We are pretty open to any suggestions!

We were considering going to Inner Space Caverns, but I think we will abort that plan and take the backroads down to Austin (US281-US183).

Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,130 times
The daytripper did a episode on F-Burg....maybe you could watch it and get some ideas.I thought that episode was really neat.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 AM

702 posts, read 727,047 times
As far as 6th street goes... it is a bunch of dirty college bars. I'm 29 and I live in San Antonio. Every time I go to Austin I struggle to find anything to do. There's like a weird museum near there that's cute for a diversion. The alamo drafthouse is always great but there are three in San Antonio. Other than that your guess is as good as mine.

I would suggest checking out Gruene if you like drinking wine at all. It's a nice spot and it is on your way assuming you are actually going 35 from Austin to SA.

Obviously if you like amusement parks Six Flags is there. And as far as shopping my fiance never turns down a chance to visit the huge outlet mall in San Marcos.

Here's my favorite thing though: have a bite at La Gloria's in the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. There are lots of restaurants in that area but I like La Gloria. Have something light and a few drinks. Then walk down to the river and walk south. This is the museum reach area of the River and it doesn't have the throng of tourists like the inner river does. People bike up and down the river here even. There are several sculptures and art like the FISH installation under 35. There is supposedly a bat nest down there too but I've never seen any. There are river taxi stops around here too when you're done. It is a quiet, peaceful and beautiful walk and my favorite part of the river. Afterwards you can go downtown, downtown to the river and experience that part of it for comparison.

Last edited by EntropyGuardian; 06-17-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,890 times
Esthers Follies in downtown Austin is always good for a huge laugh! Everyone we've taken there has loved it; my jaws hurt from laughing when the show is over. It isn't just a comedy show and if you're a native Texan, it is a must!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas