Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 AM

205 posts, read 245,216 times

Advertisements

I have a big relocation issue and I was hoping that the good people on the Texas forum could help me out

Right now I am currently staying temporarily with a friend who has said that I could find a job and save money. I got into this situation because I ended up using all my money to finish grad school because my then roommate told me that he was leaving and going to Austin and shutting off the utilities(He waited until the last min to tell me this). I only have 600 dollars and he knew it but didn't care. I may only have 600 dollars, but I even considered still leaving and staying in a shelter just to get away. It's that bad here in East Texas and I am tired of the close mindedness and racism here though I am really trying to stick it out. The only jobs that seem to be here are construction which I have no experience in or fast food and retail.

Education wise, I have an associates in business administration, a bachelor's in history and a master's in public administration. Although I have been looking for government and non profit jobs in my area, unfortunately, there are not many here, but I have applied to what I can.

Relocation: Here is where it gets kinda tricky. I am not 100% sure where I want to go but I know that I do NOT want to stay here. I am Hispanic and I would like to be in a majority Hispanic town, however, all the Hispanic towns seem to have only minimum wage jobs or at least thats what seems to be my impression of the area. I have looked into towns such as McAllen, El Paso, Laredo and San Antonio and even San Antonio did not seem to impress me too much and I did go over there and I was just not impressed and have been to Laredo and Houston multiple times though. I guess at this point I am just confused. I know spanish fluently and I like to speak it a lot and I am looking for a town that has a lot of hispanic culture, however, I don't want something that ends up being a way bigger city but just only pays minimum wage. I would also like to live in a city with low racial tension and where most people got along. While that seems to be Houston, I have also heard that sometimes people can be racial there, but its not the norm and it would obviously happen more there than Laredo since it is obviously bigger.

So my choices are either being in a place where I would love it socially but may hurt for work for a bit and I may also hurt financially and may never make 50k/ yr(I am assuming this since I worked there once and $9/hr seemed like a lot to people there) or I could go to Houston where socially I would suffer and the COL is higher, but there is a potential for me to find more jobs in my field. What should I do? I am honestly leaning towards Laredo, but at this point in my life and career, I cannot be bouncing back and forth from city to city. I really did like Laredo when I went, I just felt like there were not a lot of jobs there though. If anyone lives in Laredo and knows anything to the contrary, please let me know as I would truly appreciate it.

P.S. I also heard that in Laredo that apts are expensive due to there being more renters than apts available, is there any truth to that as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Ok, so you object to being around African-Americans and Whites, and want to live in an area of your own racial makeup....and complain of racism.

Why don't you take a long look in a mirror and then decide to get over it and learn to live with others. Then decide where to live.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
It sounds like he would be more comfortable around Hispanics bc of the racism he's dealt with. Go ahead and post a snarky comment anyways.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
It sounds like racial diversity may not be what you're after, but rather that you want to live in an area that is culturally Mexican. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but just your preference.

Places like Houston and Dallas are around 45% Hispanic, but are very diverse. They may not be my first choice based on what you've written. I would narrow it down to a couple of places: San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and the Rio Grande Valley. Of those, you will have better luck finding a good job in San Antonio. The Valley, is 100% pure Mexican. Its one of the least racially diverse places you will ever go. Corpus is a meeting between the two.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:23 PM

205 posts, read 245,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
It sounds like he would be more comfortable around Hispanics bc of the racism he's dealt with. Go ahead and post a snarky comment anyways.
Thanks, this is exactly what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It sounds like racial diversity may not be what you're after, but rather that you want to live in an area that is culturally Mexican. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but just your preference.

Places like Houston and Dallas are around 45% Hispanic, but are very diverse. They may not be my first choice based on what you've written. I would narrow it down to a couple of places: San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and the Rio Grande Valley. Of those, you will have better luck finding a good job in San Antonio. The Valley, is 100% pure Mexican. Its one of the least racially diverse places you will ever go. Corpus is a meeting between the two.
It is my preference. I mean, I don't mind the diversity, but I just want to everyone to get along. I thought about it and I think Houston may be the best bet. I have lived a few months in Laredo and I have traveled through McAllen and I always get the question, "Why are you here?" I mean I am coming from a smaller town and it seems like people put their towns down in front of me or have the impression that everyone is trying to get out. I try to explain it, but I don't think it is very convincing to hiring managers. I did go to San Antonio though and stayed about a week. I know that's not a long time, but I just got the feeling that it was a minimum wage big city unlike Houston.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
What kind of job experience do you actually have?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:51 PM

115 posts, read 145,406 times
Money is in Houston. Laredo not so much. Just being honest

Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
The money is in Houston if you have the required experience or credentials. Otherwise, you're stuck making salary you'd make in sa and Austin but paying more for cost of living.

Rents are high in Houston if you wanna be within the 610 loop. If you're living alone you can forget this area unless you're making 60k+.

I wouldn't live in Laredo. I think San Antonio or Austin would be decent choices. For your background I see no reason to pick Houston, especially with the high COL.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:

You would do best in the RGV. McAllen is the most diverse & upscale (not very--lol) in the Valley, so perhaps Brownsville would be a better choice for you.

Or look into some of the outlying colonias. They might have the cultural opportunities you prefer.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:

San Antonio is 35% white non-Hispanic and a lot of the "Hispanic people are only half Hispanic.

I agree with the Rio Grande Valley or Laredo. Corpus Christi has a lot of Non-Hispanic whites that vacation so this person might feel uncomfortable there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas