Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,571,627 times

Advertisements

I found this one tract west of Houston in the "Four Corners" area (tract 6727) that's basically 25% for the main four ethnicities, and it's not lightly populated either. That's some heavy integration. Also, the northern suburbs of Dallas are way more integrated than certain inner-city Dallasites make them out to be.

Last edited by Westerner92; 12-17-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,626,733 times
What I find interesting is areas that are mostly "white" seem more integrated than areas that are predominately hispanic or black. Wonder what thats all about?

Zip Code 76708, Census Track 9

Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Yeah I'm currently in 60163 and the census tract 8168.
When I lived in DC, I lived in 20002 and the census tract 7901.
And in Killeen, 76549 (that's what it is now but the site has it differently) and the census tract 23102.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'll say this. Texas kicks ass as a whole compared to places like Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, and New England when it comes to integration. What the hell is with these yankees and west coasters? It seems like they have way more neighborhoods that are comprised of 75% - 90% of one ethnic group. Looks like we're the only ones consistently buying into the whole "melting pot" thing.
I was going to mention the same general thing. That is, how it is "interesting" that Southern cities are much more "integrated" than those in the more "progressive" northeast or on the west coast cities.

Break here a moment:

I am not one of those who think "integration" is desirable for its own sake, in the sense it demands a government "solution" to a "problem" that is really not a problem so much as a fact of human existence.

That is to say, I object to measures like "forced busing" to achieve some federal judges' arbitrary ideal of "racial balance." And far as I am concerned, one should have the right to sell their homes to whomever they want and for whatever reason. I believe in neighborhood schools and individual freedom as concerns business and/or social interactions. If that mean voluntary segregation, then no problem far as I am concerned (voluntary being the operative term here).

But with that said, it sure does give me some gleeful ammo against certain northern and west coast types who are still stuck with the notion that the South (i.e. in this case defined as the states which had de jure "Jim Crow" laws on the books) is a horrid netherworld of racial segregation and injustice. To show that, in fact, Texas/South is -- as a general rule -- more integrated than parts of the country which like to tout their "progressive" attitudes, provides a nice little pin to pop some pompous and self-righteous "yankee" balloons in that realm.

*afterthought* Of course, in many ways, this shouldn't be surprising at all. The biggest difference in de-jure segregation in the South and de-facto in the North/Far West, was that we were just less hypocritical about it.

Once change actually DID come about, we adapted to it much easier and with more acceptance than elsewhere. The reason really stands to reason. The Southern states had/have a much longer history of true racial interaction and population, even during Jim Crow days. It was a hard road, but still predictable -- as was proven -- for the South to become the most integrated in the country. And yes, according to public opinion polls, for both black and whites in the South to express the most optomism on race-relations. We were "together" the whole time, on many levels, impossible for certain types in other regions to understand. I am personally proud of that fact.

On the other hand, when the "Civil Rights" and "busing" came about elsewhere, there was nothing of historical/social experience that equipped them to deal with it. So long as they could believe/delude themselves into beleiving, it was a "Southern problem", then they could righteously point fingers and support ever federal intervention measure conjured up. When it came to their own backyards? Uh oh. Not such a great idea.

In many ways, obviously, it still remains that way!

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-18-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
What I find interesting is areas that are mostly "white" seem more integrated than areas that are predominately hispanic or black. Wonder what thats all about?

Zip Code 76708, Census Track 9
Haha, that's my area.

Whether you agree or not; blacks will move into white areas before whites move into minority majority areas.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Actually, I think the west coast is pretty integrated along with the South. It's not as segregated as the midwest and northeast.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
LA isnt that segregated. Its places like Chicago and Detroit along with the Northeastern cities that are super segregated.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 AM

288 posts, read 351,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, I think the west coast is pretty integrated along with the South. It's not as segregated as the midwest and northeast.
Uhh... based on this map I wouldn't call South integrated at all. I mean just look at Atlanta, Montgomery, Columbus, Memphis, Birmingham, Jackson, Mobile and New Orleans. Every one of these cities is split in half by green and blue dots. Houston is rather the exception than standard case.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Uhh... based on this map I wouldn't call South integrated at all. I mean just look at Atlanta, Montgomery, Columbus, Memphis, Birmingham, Jackson, Mobile and New Orleans. Every one of these cities is split in half by green and blue dots. Houston is rather the exception than standard case.
Ouch. Just went to a few of those cities you named and you are right. Especially Birmingham and Jackson.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
The Texas cities looked more integrated than the rest of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas