Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
black houstonians remind me of black atlantans in most ways. i wouldn't use the word "dull" at all, unless you're talking about those who follow that slab culture where they're extra laid back. but the houstonians i've associated with aren't anything like that. i even know some born and raised houston folks who don't even like listening to screw
I have a better word. Uptight. I don't want to youtube this thread to death. But Houston's music again can bore you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfou43yT66w
I remember when I first heard that. I was falling asleep when I was listening to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have a better word. Uptight. I don't want to youtube this thread to death. But Houston's music again can bore you.

I remember when I first heard that. I was falling asleep when I was listening to it.
I don't think Beyonce is boring at all. She can just stand there with her sexy self and that is entertainment in itself.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't think Beyonce is boring at all. She can just stand there with her sexy self and that is entertainment in itself.
Well yeah she's pop which is the opposite of boring. She's a bit different than what I'm talking about. But I was talking about Houston's hip hop scene

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Well yeah she's pop which is the opposite of boring. She's a bit different than what I'm talking about. But I was talking about Houston's hip hop scene
pffffff, hippity hop is for hoodlums and crackheads. I listen to Reba

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
pffffff, hippity hop is for hoodlums and crackheads. I listen to Reba
I don't know that is. Is that one of the Jacksons?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know that is. Is that one of the Jacksons?
no, that is Rebbie. She has not released anything good lately. I didn't even know she sang. I though she was the talentless one

Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Well that's one thing I've noticed between Black Dallasites and Black Houstonians. I mentioned this in the Texas hip hop thread a few months ago. Houston is uptight and you can hear it in their music. It's just boring to listen to at times. Dallas is a more loose and again, you can hear in their music. It's funny to me that this is the case seeing as how Houston's club scene is pretty good.
Quote:

lol, i should have known it was going to be that song. i don't think anybody likes that one. the instrumentals are very bland.

but like i was telling jluke, really only the houstonians that follow that slab culture are the ones that seem uptight and too laid back, but most of the houstonians i know are pretty hype and fun to be around. believe it or not, atlanta music is pretty popular with some of them. i remember once when i visited back in '06, and i heard dj unk "walk it out" so many times it drove me crazy. plus, h-town girls know how to dance for real lol. they have their fun, dance tracks as well (i know i've posted this video before)

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Beyonce is a boring person. Her music might be fun and great to dance to, but her personality is boring.

I agree with Spade. Black Houstonians uptight ways reflect in its culture and music.

Quote:
Well that's one thing I've noticed between Black Dallasites and Black Houstonians. I mentioned this in the Texas hip hop thread a few months ago. Houston is uptight and you can hear it in their music. It's just boring to listen to at times. Dallas is a more loose and again, you can hear in their music. It's funny to me that this is the case seeing as how Houston's club scene is pretty good.
You got lots of Black Dallasites moving down to the Houston area. I bet like 50% of PV students are Dallasities. It's lots of them here at TSU too.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 12-20-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Beyonce is a boring person. Her music might be fun and great to dance to, but her personality is boring.

I agree with Spade. Black Houstonians uptight ways reflect in its culture and music.

who cares about her personality? I said all she had to do is stand there. She is freaking hot dude

Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
I'd say Dallas.

Houston has been a more international/ diverse city longer than Dallas. Dallas blacks are more country because they are segregated; unlike blacks in Houston.

When it comes to deeming certain blacks as "country". It's not in the sense that they have an old west lifestyle or live in rural areas. It can really be another word for ghetto.

You put a black Dallasite with a black Houstonian and you will notice a distinct difference between the two. Black Dallasties tend to be more outspoken, loud and vibrant; whereas Black Houstonians are more laid-back, reserved and for the lack of a better word, dull.

I know this comparison is going to fly over people's head, but Black Dallasites remind me of Black New Orleans people (Behavior wise).
Quote:
I agree and I've said that before.

I wasn't saying they were boring. They just aren't as.....uh.....colorful?? as Dallasites. Their culture very much represents that. The mainstream music is dull, the accents are monotone [MEN] and before you start; there will always be exceptions so don't give me that "My family or I don't act like that".

The fact that Oatmeal favors black Houstonians more proves my point. Her behavior and personality is the exact why my Houstonian family acts (except not as exaggerated and condescending).
Quote:
I was saying that for any Houstonain who was planning on it (watch someone still do it, lol)

Exactly what I'm saying. I prefer chilling with Black Dallasites more. They know how to have a good time. Don't get me wrong though; Black Houstonians are cool too.
Quote:
I aint really buyin none of that. First of all I have heard some Houston ppl compare Dallas people to New Orleans. But culturally if it were up to Houston or Dallas Houston would def. identify closer with New Orleans esp. since alot of Houstonians have fam from South Louisiana. Now I've noticed that some Houston ppl tend to say Dallas and New Orleans ppl are loud and IGNANT. But being that I been around some of the hoodest of areas in all 3 cities. Dallas people aint no more louder or "ignant" as Houston or New Orleans ppl.

2nd aint nothing dull about Houston culture. Because Houston has the most recognized black culture out of any area in Texas. Houston influenced Dallas more so then Dallas influenced Houston. Being Loud and colorful don't mean you cool. If the execution aint right that **** can come off tacky. And alot of Dallas culture is tacky as ****. I'm sorry man South Dallas which is the trendsetter for the rest of Dallas has some tacky ass culture. Big T's/Shags/ Leather shorts/Yum shirts/slightly female-ish type dances. Thats why alot of Dallas people who go to school in PV. Move they asses to Houston and visit Dallas every once n awhile.

3rd..even within Houston's black culture it has always been more out there and better presented with character because Black Houstonians have so much character. You know about 3rd Ward... You know about Southwest...You know about that Nawf..You know about that 5th Ward..In Dallas what you know about?? Oakcliff...maybe Pleasant Grove..that's about it

4th...I'm from East Texas where alot of the black culture in Texas started from...Where city folk would come down to the country or the "bama" part of Texas..and East Texas folks would always go to Dallas because it was closer..but most idolize Houston because Houston set the tone for the later generation of what was cool in Texas. Not to mention I've ran into more uptight Dallas ppl then I have uptight Houston ppl

Jluke maybe you like Dallas better because you from Waco. Waco seem to be on that same Dallas level just on a smaller scale CUTTY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas