Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times

Advertisements

Beyonce seemed to be a lot more interesting and had more personality before the illuminati got to her.

Anyway, I see that people more or less agree with what I said. I've been redeemed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I never realized that only black people determine how country a city is.

I guess the other 3/4 of both cities dont matter when trying to figure out which city is most country.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I aint really buyin none of that. First of all I have heard some Houston ppl compare Dallas people to New Orleans. But culturally if it were up to Houston or Dallas Houston would def. identify closer with New Orleans esp. since alot of Houstonians have fam from South Louisiana. Now I've noticed that some Houston ppl tend to say Dallas and New Orleans ppl are loud and IGNANT. But being that I been around some of the hoodest of areas in all 3 cities. Dallas people aint no more louder or "ignant" as Houston or New Orleans ppl.

Ok......that's your opinion. If Houstonians are saying that though; than my comparison isn't that far off.

2nd aint nothing dull about Houston culture. Because Houston has the most recognized black culture out of any area in Texas. Houston influenced Dallas more so then Dallas influenced Houston. Being Loud and colorful don't mean you cool. If the execution aint right that **** can come off tacky. And alot of Dallas culture is tacky as ****. I'm sorry man South Dallas which is the trendsetter for the rest of Dallas has some tacky ass culture. Big T's/Shags/ Leather shorts/Yum shirts/slightly female-ish type dances. Thats why alot of Dallas people who go to school in PV. Move they asses to Houston and visit Dallas every once n awhile.

When the hell did I say it was cool??? If you look at the way your sounding; you kind of repeating what me and Spade already established. Houston is more uptight about it's culture.

3rd..even within Houston's black culture it has always been more out there and better presented with character because Black Houstonians have so much character. You know about 3rd Ward... You know about Southwest...You know about that Nawf..You know about that 5th Ward..In Dallas what you know about?? Oakcliff...maybe Pleasant Grove..that's about it

Thank you for repeating what I said......

4th...I'm from East Texas where alot of the black culture in Texas started from...Where city folk would come down to the country or the "bama" part of Texas..and East Texas folks would always go to Dallas because it was closer..but most idolize Houston because Houston set the tone for the later generation of what was cool in Texas. Not to mention I've ran into more uptight Dallas ppl then I have uptight Houston ppl

Not really......NE Texas is much more influenced and connected to Dallas. Including Central Texas as well. Dallas has a pretty established black community with many successful blacks and it's also currently more popular to blacks around the country considering it's black population is growing faster than Houston's.

Jluke maybe you like Dallas better because you from Waco. Waco seem to be on that same Dallas level just on a smaller scale CUTTY
Yeah; I like Dallas better, but I decided to move to Houston......???

I enjoy and like Houston and Dallas just the same. You right about Waco and Dallas. People from Waco always say Waco is just a smaller version of Dallas and I agree. Waco and Dallas got history together; probably almost as much as FW and Dallas.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I never realized that only black people determine how country a city is.

I guess the other 3/4 of both cities dont matter when trying to figure out which city is most country.
Me neither. Perhaps you should point out where someone made that statement. If you want to speak on the other 3/4; than please do so.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Me neither. Perhaps you should point out where someone made that statement. If you want to speak on the other 3/4; than please do so.
I suppose you missed the last three pages of this thread.

As far as the other 3/4 go, it really makes no difference. Niether Houston or Dallas are country. Fort Worth and even San Antonio are much more country than either Houston or Dallas.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I suppose you missed the last three pages of this thread.

As far as the other 3/4 go, it really makes no difference. Niether Houston or Dallas are country. Fort Worth and even San Antonio are much more country than either Houston or Dallas.
I suppose to you didn't read the last 3 pages.

We spoke specifically about just black culture. I don't think their country either; however, too many Dallasites and Houstonians deny their southern/country ways and culture. It's in those cities and can be found in abundance.

I don't see why on city data being southern or country always has to come with a negative connotation. Just because you shop at the Galleria or Northpark, eat at expensive ethnic restaurants and drive nice cars shouldn't change that; you are what you are. I'm country and proud!

Country doesn't mean being tacky, western and living on farms. Southern doesn't mean being uneducated, backwards and living in trailer parks.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

3rd..even within Houston's black culture it has always been more out there and better presented with character because Black Houstonians have so much character. You know about 3rd Ward... You know about Southwest...You know about that Nawf..You know about that 5th Ward..In Dallas what you know about?? Oakcliff...maybe Pleasant Grove..that's about it
oak cliff is one HUGE area that nearly extends all the way out into south dallas suburbs; it's practically its own city (and once was). you have different neighborhoods within the region

not too many people outside of texas and maybe louisiana know about houston's specific neighborhoods

Last edited by AlGreen; 12-21-2010 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

103 posts, read 314,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
oak cliff is one HUGE area that nearly extends all the way out into south dallas suburbs; it's practically its own city (and once was). you have different neighborhoods within the region

not too many people outside of texas and maybe louisiana know about houston's specific neighborhoods

Right! you have to remember Houston is larger city than Dallas, so there are going to be more black enclaves. But Oak Cliff, South Dallas are both large neighborhoods and Pleasant Grove became largely black in the 80's. To me Houston have many cultural ties with family who migrated from southern Louisiana. Dallas has cultural ties from Northern Louisiana, East, North, Panhandle, Central Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and even around the Memphis Tenn area. So Dallas might come off more "country" or even southern because of the migrations from other southern states and regions. To me, Houston seem more like an extension of Southern Louisiana in a cultural way.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM

172 posts, read 411,372 times
DALLAS!!! d-town
also home of the best team in the history of the NFL- the cowboys- sure they aint doing hot right know
but watever

also home of the RANGERS!

anyhow- the outskirts of dallas- that are not suburban are very very country

plus houston metro area is huge- as is dallas
its just drive a little past the metro part- and its more and more country-
plus you are in north TEXAS

Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; I like Dallas better, but I decided to move to Houston......???

I enjoy and like Houston and Dallas just the same. You right about Waco and Dallas. People from Waco always say Waco is just a smaller version of Dallas and I agree. Waco and Dallas got history together; probably almost as much as FW and Dallas.
@Jluke..I don't really agree with some black Houstonians when they make the comparison of Dallas and New Orleans people being loud and ignorant because it's alot of loud and ignorant people in Houston. I also notice that some south Houston people say the same thing about black ppl that reside in the North. That's it's country,ghetto,loud,ignorant. I tend to think it's a bunch of stereotypes on ever bodies behalf. And i'm not repeating what you and Spade stated. How is Houston uptight? I don't understand that. Actually you and Spade are the first people I heard mention that. As far as more blacks moving to Dallas/Ft.Worth then Houston. Were talking about 1 mega city and 1 big city against 1 mega city. Of course you have more to work with. But I put money on it more blacks are moving into Houston then they are Dallas. As a whole DFW has more blacks moving in and not even by that much. DFW is in a better location then Houston but that hasn't slowed Houston down. And I know plenty of east texas people who move to Dallas because of location. But if they could would move to Houston over Dallas in a heart beat.

I also notice that NE Texas has alot in common with North Houston. Parts of North Houston even look like areas of East Texas. Now alot of my family members who come from Marshall. Have been living in Houston since the 60s and had generation after generation of families that reside in Houston now. My family aint the only people that roots are in East Texas and now have sprung out to Houston. It also seems as though more so on the Northside of Houston I run into alot of people who have family members from East Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

Yes I know Oakcliff is a huge area of Dallas that has many hoods. So does North Houston which is an area with cities and hoods as well. Same as 3rd Ward and 5th Ward. I know the history of Oakcliff I was just stating that's probably the most famous area of Black Dallas. I also forgot to mention Deep Ellum. It was very popular and historical to black music in the south/Texas

I beg to differ alot of people in Louisiana know about Houston hoods. Alot of people in Louisiana grew up on Houston music. And heard the many references to areas in Houston. Not to mention Houston underground scene use to sell big in places like Ohio/Ok/Arkansas/Mississippi. I'm speaking on Swisha house and S.U.C. tapes. and the whole screwed n chopped culture that expanded far beyond the streets of Houston. Even before that people know about 5th Ward. And I'll even say they know about 3rd Ward. 3rd Ward evidently was important enough to have PBS do a special movie about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUZNYgPEmQ (Check that out...it wasn't local people who thought about this) 3rd Ward was known outside of Houston esp. back in the day when Dowling st. was a black person paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Right! you have to remember Houston is larger city than Dallas, so there are going to be more black enclaves. But Oak Cliff, South Dallas are both large neighborhoods and Pleasant Grove became largely black in the 80's. To me Houston have many cultural ties with family who migrated from southern Louisiana. Dallas has cultural ties from Northern Louisiana, East, North, Panhandle, Central Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and even around the Memphis Tenn area. So Dallas might come off more "country" or even southern because of the migrations from other southern states and regions. To me, Houston seem more like an extension of Southern Louisiana in a cultural way.
While I agree..Houston family ties isn't just in South Louisiana even tho the larger percentage is South Louisiana. But you have alot from NE Texas and SE Texas(which I guess you can say is another extension of Southern Louisiana as well). But Also Mississppi. And areas that are south of Central Texas. (Cities like Brenham,Navasoata,Hearns,Bryan-College Station, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas