Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Houston is kind of hard to grasp. There's a lot of educated, wealthy blacks that live here and there's alot of those that want to die hard ghetto. If I was to put who was more country between Dallas and Houston, i would definitely have to say Dallas. It is traditionally known that the women in Dallas things like the bigger hair, and they don't pronounce "hair", they say "Her". Also, as someone pointed out earlier, the fact that the blacks in Dallas tend to be more segregated also plays a role in the overall mentality of thinking. In Houston, it does seem like they're more associated with the Louisiana culture while in Dallas, they may be associalted with places like Waco, Tyler, Corisicana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
@Jluke..I don't really agree with some black Houstonians when they make the comparison of Dallas and New Orleans people being loud and ignorant because it's alot of loud and ignorant people in Houston. I also notice that some south Houston people say the same thing about black ppl that reside in the North. That's it's country,ghetto,loud,ignorant. I tend to think it's a bunch of stereotypes on ever bodies behalf. And i'm not repeating what you and Spade stated. How is Houston uptight? I don't understand that. Actually you and Spade are the first people I heard mention that. As far as more blacks moving to Dallas/Ft.Worth then Houston. Were talking about 1 mega city and 1 big city against 1 mega city. Of course you have more to work with. But I put money on it more blacks are moving into Houston then they are Dallas. As a whole DFW has more blacks moving in and not even by that much. DFW is in a better location then Houston but that hasn't slowed Houston down. And I know plenty of east texas people who move to Dallas because of location. But if they could would move to Houston over Dallas in a heart beat.
Me saying Houston is uptight is not really a slight towards the city nor does it mean it is not a much better city for Black Americans compared to Dallas. Because for me, I prefer Houston to Dallas. But from experience and in vibe, Houstonians are more laid back and subdued than Dallasites. I've seen it with my own eyes and you can hear it in the music. While I despise Dallas hip hop, at least it's fun and upbeat to listen to. Houston, while lyrically better with more substance, can put you to sleep at times. I'm just saying that Houston could be loosen up a little. I still believe Black Dallas is more country in nature than Black Houston. The Black community in Dallas reminds me of a larger Waco.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
lol, i should have known it was going to be that song. i don't think anybody likes that one. the instrumentals are very bland.

but like i was telling jluke, really only the houstonians that follow that slab culture are the ones that seem uptight and too laid back, but most of the houstonians i know are pretty hype and fun to be around. believe it or not, atlanta music is pretty popular with some of them. i remember once when i visited back in '06, and i heard dj unk "walk it out" so many times it drove me crazy. plus, h-town girls know how to dance for real lol. they have their fun, dance tracks as well (i know i've posted this video before)

Ok, I'm sure there are alot of Houstonians like that so it's unfair for me to basically come out and say the entire Houstonian population is uptight. I know Houston is a huge market for krump dances back in the day. The slab culture just bores me. I am one Texan that never cared for Screw music at all. Oh and that video by Wreckshop Family always bored me as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I beg to differ alot of people in Louisiana know about Houston hoods. Alot of people in Louisiana grew up on Houston music. And heard the many references to areas in Houston. Not to mention Houston underground scene use to sell big in places like Ohio/Ok/Arkansas/Mississippi. I'm speaking on Swisha house and S.U.C. tapes. and the whole screwed n chopped culture that expanded far beyond the streets of Houston. Even before that people know about 5th Ward. And I'll even say they know about 3rd Ward. 3rd Ward evidently was important enough to have PBS do a special movie about it.
that's what i was saying about louisiana. people from there will likely be somewhat familiar with houston's neighborhoods, as will anybody who's a fan of houston rap

and people who like dallas rap will likely be familiar with oak cliff, pleasant grove, west dallas, agg-town, southside, skillman, ham park, etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok, I'm sure there are alot of Houstonians like that so it's unfair for me to basically come out and say the entire Houstonian population is uptight. I know Houston is a huge market for krump dances back in the day. The slab culture just bores me. I am one Texan that never cared for Screw music at all.
"krump" or "crunk"? lol....but yeah, i actually love screw, but i have to be in the mood for it. it's music for the car not for the party.

Quote:
Oh and that video by Wreckshop Family always bored me as well.
the houston rappers almost always had terrible videos, which i think has a lot to do with why houston's scene never really popped in the mainstream. it was presented poorly. it's one thing to be underground and genuine, but it's something else to just look homemade. there was never really any style there.

houston's rap scene does a pitiful job of representing what the city is really about

Last edited by AlGreen; 12-21-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
"krump" or "crunk"? lol....but yeah, i actually love screw, but i have to be in the mood for it. it's music for the car not for the party.

the houston rappers almost always has terrible videos, which i think has a lot to do with why houston's scene never really popped in the mainstream. it was presented poorly. it's one thing to be underground and genuine, but it's something else to just look homemade. there was never really any style there.

houston's rap scene does a pitiful job of representing what the city is really about
So true. Underground scene though is really diverse and features all types of sounds. Mainstream wise; it's boring and repetitive. If you've heard one slim thug or paul wall song; you've heard them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3z3utsTfY
I met her before. She can get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3rOEajyNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFI_ai8Bic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qj5rv2RWdw

I'm telling you; Houston got a nice ass urban music scene; it just lacks the connections and set up like Atlanta or Los Angeles.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So true. Underground scene though is really diverse and features all types of sounds. Mainstream wise; it's boring and repetitive. If you've heard one slim thug or paul wall song; you've heard them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3z3utsTfY
I met her before. She can get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qj5rv2RWdw

I'm telling you; Houston got a nice ass urban music scene; it just lacks the connections and set up like Atlanta or Los Angeles.
one of my sister's homegirls is friends with just brittany, no lie. can't say i care too much for her music, though.

that marcus manchild was kinda cool. i might check out some more of his stuff.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Houston is kind of hard to grasp. There's a lot of educated, wealthy blacks that live here and there's alot of those that want to die hard ghetto. If I was to put who was more country between Dallas and Houston, i would definitely have to say Dallas. It is traditionally known that the women in Dallas things like the bigger hair, and they don't pronounce "hair", they say "Her". Also, as someone pointed out earlier, the fact that the blacks in Dallas tend to be more segregated also plays a role in the overall mentality of thinking. In Houston, it does seem like they're more associated with the Louisiana culture while in Dallas, they may be associalted with places like Waco, Tyler, Corisicana.
You are relying too much on stereotypes. Big hair is something that is a stereotype, not a reality of Dallas. I have also not noticed a difference in the way people pronouce "hair" in Dallas vs. Houston.

But then again, it seems that what determines how country a place is on CD relies solely on what the black community thinks and how blacks are in one city vs. the other.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:31 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Coming to Texas from Atlanta, I always heard about the Houston scene for blacks being pretty close to what is offered in Atlanta. I would bet the black population is larger in Houston than it is in Dallas. Houston hip hop is more my style than what comes out of Dallas. The stuff here in Dallas gets on my nerves. I am partial to Atlanta hip hop the most though. I agree that Houston could have the same rep as Atlanta if it got the word out. As for "country" in a white persons terms, i'd say Houston would be more country because its has that low country bayou thing going like in Louisiana. Dallas just doesnt really give off any particular vibe it really is a crossroads of cultures moreso than Houston. Ft Worth is definitely country/southwestern without a doubt!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
one of my sister's homegirls is friends with just brittany, no lie. can't say i care too much for her music, though.

that marcus manchild was kinda cool. i might check out some more of his stuff.
Everyone know her. She a cool girl though; really sweet. Her music is hit or miss though, lol

Marcus Manchild is definitely a breath of fresh air when you compare him to people like Slim Thug and Mike Jones. You might also like Kirko Bangz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas