U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,736,087 times
Reputation: 1446

Advertisements

Texas is the big winner. It gained more people than any other state for the first time, outpacing California, which had dominated for almost a century. Texas' four new seats will give it 36, still behind California's 53.
New York's loss of two seats and Florida's gain of two will give each state 27.
"Texas has avoided much of the mortgage meltdown and recession that have plagued most of the rest of the Sun Belt and also benefited demographically from (Hurricane) Katrina-related migration from Louisiana," says William Frey, demographer at the Brookings Institution.


Census shows slowing U.S. growth - USATODAY.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,726 posts, read 8,212,432 times
Reputation: 2615
Yay!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,712,802 times
Reputation: 7678
Texas wastes them anyway
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,736,087 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Texas wastes them anyway
???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,712,802 times
Reputation: 7678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
???
its an american thing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
10,088 posts, read 12,399,197 times
Reputation: 20748
Bad news for the Democrats; good news for America.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,211 posts, read 4,344,965 times
Reputation: 2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Bad news for the Democrats; good news for America.
How is it bad news for Democrats? Are you saying when people move to Texas they are automatically forced to vote Republican?

All this information means is that a lot of people moved to Texas. If they voted Republican before, they likely still will. If they voted Democrat before, they likely still will.

This information doesn't mean anything for republicans OR democrats.

It is possible that democrats are more spread out now and will be outvoted by their republican neighbors, resulting in a Republican shift. It is equally likely that congressional districts that were predominately republican are now over run with recently moved democrats and now the district has a Democratic shift.

You are a bit short sighted Happy in Wyoming. Apply critical thinking, don't just repeat what Fox News tells you. Not everything has to be viewed thru a partisan "how does this effect my political party" lens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 8,139,104 times
Reputation: 55888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Texas is the big winner. It gained more people than any other state for the first time, outpacing California, which had dominated for almost a century. Texas' four new seats will give it 36, still behind California's 53.
New York's loss of two seats and Florida's gain of two will give each state 27.
"Texas has avoided much of the mortgage meltdown and recession that have plagued most of the rest of the Sun Belt and also benefited demographically from (Hurricane) Katrina-related migration from Louisiana," says William Frey, demographer at the Brookings Institution.


Census shows slowing U.S. growth - USATODAY.com
Great news!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,505 posts, read 3,992,436 times
Reputation: 978
Its good news for Texas.

One thing I found surprising though is how slow the U.S. grew during the decade. It seemed like it was growing fast, but it was actually the slowest population growth since the 1930's. I guess a lot of illegals went home when the great recession hit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,736,087 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Its good news for Texas.

One thing I found surprising though is how slow the U.S. grew during the decade. It seemed like it was growing fast, but it was actually the slowest population growth since the 1930's. I guess a lot of illegals went home when the great recession hit.
Just in % ! In number (+27 millions, big number, it's more than Texas population) it's one the 3 best decades (after 90s and 50s).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top