Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

that is the TRULY SAD PART....that CC is a city on the Gulf Coast, and with a downtown only a short walk from the waterfront and to have such a delapidated downtown with no culture or redeeming qualities. it's so sad. why cant the city do something about this?
The only attractive area to me, is the IMMEDIATE waterfront, where ya walk on the T-heads to eat at restaurants. UNFORTUNATELY they choose to have a chain restaurant like Joe's Crab Shack there, which lends little to originality, does it? Nothing unique about it.
Ft Worth has the GREAT Stockyards
Dallas has Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, and probably other areas that are interesting to stroll in.
San Antonio has the Riverwalk
Corpus? nothing memorable to speak of. it's truly a disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest & Blunt View Post
Well, parts of Texas can be real nice. I would like to point out a region of Texas we call Tex-ico. It's that area South of San Antonio 1/2 Texas & 1/2 Mexico. It's a crazy place called Corpus Christi.
Corpus is a Beach town stuck in the 20th Century. To be exact it's stuck in 1980. Here in Corpus they would rather have their cars driving on the beach than Mothers & Children. I know it's hard to understand. But, they drive cars & trucks right down the Beach. In the City Limits ! Sometimes they runover dogs & people. It's a kick !

This place it wild, they have a downtown that has been abandon years ago & it's only a short walk from their waterfront. Very Sad !

So forget the Beautiful cities of Texas & come on down to Tex-ico, you'll never forget it !!!

Don't forget your rubber Gloves !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,271 times
Default changeofpace

Corpus certainly doesnt have the funds that DFW, San Antonio or Houston has. Joes Crab Shack obviously had the money to lease the space that a mom or pop resturant would not, so a chain resturant is what came and what will be there. Every city the size of Corpus has a struggling downtown when the big box retailers move in along the freeways, bypasses and edge of the cities. Coprus does not have enough major employers downtown to support department stores, resturants or night spots. Perhaps I can provide some education on urban planning and development and shed some light on the problems. If you have not studied urban planning and dont have experience in it, you have a difficult time understanding what happened and why it happened. Travel to other cities the same size and you will find the same problems and issues Corpus has. Comparing Corpus to DFW, San Antonio, Austin or Houston is not comparing apples to apples. There seems to be a lot of judging a book by its cover.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Default Texas has it all

You are so right change of pace. All over you see the old downtowns wasting away while the strip malls and chain stoes and restaurants on the freeway flourishes. It takes some innovative thinking on the part of the city manager and leaders to revive the old downtowns.

Our town is lucky in that the city is always coming up with events to hold in the old downtown section. In the spring they have an outdoor concert every Friday night through the month of June. They have different celebration festivals such Cinc de Mayo, Honeyfest, etc. Some of the buildings have been turned into cafes such as The Maltshop, which makes you think you have stepped back into time into the Happy Days era of the 50's, sockhops and all. A very unique Bar-B-Que cafe, coffee shop etc. There are also several arts and crafts stores which are really cool. Babe's Chicken is in one of the corner buildings and it is the only chain that is in the old downtown section and all the buildings are occipied, so I say, "hats off to our town"!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 27,619 times
Default Corpus

I have to admit i havent been to corpus in a while (3-4 years) but i used to go every summer. I wouldnt want to live there but it was always a nice place to go on vacation. As far as living somewhere in texas I would say it would be best to live somewhere rural (i hate big cities) I live in Pecos and we really need good teachers.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
The adventure is here. It's yours for the taking. Feel free to call yerself a Texan the day you get here.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM

32 posts, read 175,905 times
Howdy, y'all...

My 2 cents...No, I'm not a native Texan, but I've been here awhile. I may be leaving the state soon, which means I've been reflecting a lot on what I do and don't like about Texas.

First, in response to the original post, talking about evolution and climate change in the public schools could be problematic in a small handfull of the smaller districts, but not in the cities.

The religious right is a powerful force in Texas, but what is overriding is a strong sense of individual freedom...which can be a good and a bad thing. Private property is untouchable - thus, there is no high-speed rail, and precious little in the way of public lands. But, hey, if it were my ranch that had been in my family for generations, I wouldn't be about to give it away either. Fair enough. Just recognize that there is a sacrifice of the public interest.

This independent spirit also lends itself to a certain amount of tolerance for, and often pride in, strong-minded characters who constantly buck the system (e.g. Kinky Freedman, Willie Nelson, Ross Perot, etc.).

The weather: Here, in East-Central Texas, it is hot and humid in the summer. Yeah, this summer is weird - shockingly low temperatures and copious rainfall - could be the second coming. But 10 - 20 consecutive days over 100 degrees are not uncommon. I liken it to the winter in the northern states - you pretty much just hole up inside and wait for it to pass (or hang out in and around bodies of water). Camping in the summer is miserable (unless you have a trailer with A/C - but that doesn't really count). For me, I prefer being hot over cold. Winter can get cold, too - around here it is a very damp cold that feels a lot colder than it is. But it doesn't last very long.

If you're into politics, you will find no end of entertainment in following the antics of the Texas Legislature, as long as you have a sense of humor about it. I don't know if Texas is unique in this regard (god, I hope it is...), but the state government and our local government are so blatantly uninterested in what is good for the non-corporate citizens of Texas, that it can be truly disheartening. Of course, this isn't true for ALL members of the Texas Lege -just the ones in charge.

A small but significant shock to me when I first moved here, was that you can't just go outside and sit on the grass to eat lunch or take a little snooze in the shade. The fire ants will eat you alive (actually, technically they sting you alive...). They're avoidable for the most part, but just so you know...

Bang for your buck: Most of Texas is highly affordable compared to almost anywhere else in the country (that you'd want to live. Sorry Nevada.).

Texas is big. Seems obvious, but if you're planning a little trip down to Big Bend from Dallas, don't forget it's a 14 hour drive.

Texas is friendly. Sadly, not as true as it once was. Still very true in the small towns, but less so in the cities. I guess that's probably the case everywhere, though...

Great cities. I love both Austin and Houston for very different reasons (they're both within reasonable driving distance for me - unlike SA and Dallas). I also love Fort Worth. Not only do you have a lot of history there, with the stockyards, etc., but great arts, gardens, and my favorite Texas zoo.

Cultural and racial diversity: Texas has it. One of the big things I'm going to miss about Texas is the strong hispanic influence on the communities, arts, and politics. Americans of all colors and backgrounds have long histories in Texas, which I think is unique among the southern states.

OK, I guess that was more like 2 dollars than 2 cents.

Good luck on your move down here.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You are so right change of pace. All over you see the old downtowns wasting away while the strip malls and chain stoes and restaurants on the freeway flourishes. It takes some innovative thinking on the part of the city manager and leaders to revive the old downtowns.

true that. Denton, Texas really has done something amazing with its downtown.

this place is a well kept secret of Texas. Thnx everyone for keeping it a secret.

lol

cats out the bag?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Corpus certainly doesnt have the funds that DFW, San Antonio or Houston has. Joes Crab Shack obviously had the money to lease the space that a mom or pop resturant would not, so a chain resturant is what came and what will be there. Every city the size of Corpus has a struggling downtown when the big box retailers move in along the freeways, bypasses and edge of the cities. Coprus does not have enough major employers downtown to support department stores, resturants or night spots. Perhaps I can provide some education on urban planning and development and shed some light on the problems. If you have not studied urban planning and dont have experience in it, you have a difficult time understanding what happened and why it happened. Travel to other cities the same size and you will find the same problems and issues Corpus has. Comparing Corpus to DFW, San Antonio, Austin or Houston is not comparing apples to apples. There seems to be a lot of judging a book by its cover.

so whats wrong with CC in terms of planing and zoning? i spent many days and nights shopping and partying there. Beach Parties, bonfires and all that jazz.

Dug the area of the Yin Yang Fandango.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Hoiuston and San Antonio the best in Texas overall. Houston for its diversity and San Antonio is the most romantic city in Texas.

Corpus Christi is poor but if it was in Florida it would have the potential to rival Miami. Just a bad mentality there

Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM

85 posts, read 208,237 times
Interesting tidbit that the name "Texas" is mentioned in registered ASCAP recording titles for song singles more than all the other 49 states combined twice over..

There is no other State in the Union like Texas. You cannot put words into it.

All of the stereotypes about Texans are probably true to a point. but once you get to the Lone Star...well you understand...

You puff out your chest and thank God that it is all true and a whole heck of a lot more.

I love San Antonio. I love to poke fun in friendly rivalries with the Metroplex crowd or sweaty Houstonians....but I would never ever put any State higher than my beloved Lone Star.

Unfortunately the word is out. It seems like every Chicagoan, Southern Californian, and New Yorker is making the relocation pilgrimage.

I just pray that the great state (and former independent country) of Texas remains the same. Come down and assimilate, enjoy, and respect...don't try to make it like home..

It is not like home. Embrace it, and you will never ever be so thankful in your lifetime again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas