Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
what do you do for a living? if you are prior service, you will get preference points for civil service/DOD jobs. look at Lackland AFB or Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, or Ft Hood in Killeen, NAS JRB in Ft Worth, or Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo. i skipped on Ft Bliss cuz El Paso, well, i wouldnt recommend it wholeheartedly....look at USA Jobs for all DOD postings. just an idea.
I thought about going back to Ft. Hood and get back into retail there like the PX or the Commissary. I was stationed there for 1 1/2 year and I really like it there. Maybe Ft. Hood. I'm thinking of taking a trip back to Texas, sometime later this summer, to see my mother in Beaumont. I was thinking while I was there I'll just drive on up to Killeen and go to Ft. Hood and see what they have to offer. I was thinking of this one for quite of while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 AM

13 posts, read 60,739 times
bellestaroftexas,

i'm currently assigned to Hawaii and plan to retire to the FT Hood area. I noticed that you mention you were able to get a government job working on FT Hood. My question is: how hard is it to get a government job or GS job there? Second question: Is the FT Hood, Killeen, Harker Heights, Copperas Cove really a good place to live/retire?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
to get a GS/DOD job is not hard at all, ESPECIALLY if you have preferential points e.g. veteran, dependant etc! and Ft Hood is a VERY large military installation, hence alot of civilian work there.
yes yes yes to your second question! not only is it in Texas, the best state in the union, but it is in the Hill Country Region with the best of everything in Texas! now i have heard that Killeen is typical military town-ya know what i am talkin bout-with some bad, some good....but Ft Hood has plenty of small rural peaceful places to hang yer hat! Lampasas, Gatesville, Kempner, Nolanvillle...............
how much longer before your tour is up in HI? I assune you are at Schoffield Barracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justde87 View Post
bellestaroftexas,

i'm currently assigned to Hawaii and plan to retire to the FT Hood area. I noticed that you mention you were able to get a government job working on FT Hood. My question is: how hard is it to get a government job or GS job there? Second question: Is the FT Hood, Killeen, Harker Heights, Copperas Cove really a good place to live/retire?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i dont think that Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls would have too many DOD jobs. I may be wrong. It's just not that big.
Actually, Sheppard AFB is reasonably big for an Air Force Base. In addition to being a pilot training base for the US and its NATO allies, it is one of only two technical training centers in the Air Force. All airmen going into the medical field and into many aircraft and missile maintenance fields must go through Sheppard. There are probably a good number of civil service and contractor jobs there.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 43,630 times
Default Land Surveying Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
Really depends on the job you're looking for. There are many areas in Texas that are growing and in need of workers. The Midland/Odessa area is a great example of this, heard that there is a shortage of something in the area of 2,000 employees. The new house market is taking off, I was just transfered here by my company to open up a new land surveying and engineering office. The weather here (except for this year from what I've been told) would be similar to the Phoenix area. If your looking for DOD jobs I would recommend the Ft.Worth area just based on the city itself not the job market. Ft.Worth is a fun city, good night life, entertainment, and eating. I might also mention Wichita Falls if your looking for DOD jobs and a more conservative city. Hope this helps.

Cyril

I'm looking to move to Texas and am looking for a job in surveying any suggestions on what areas in Texas are in need of Surveyors?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinez0279 View Post
I'm looking to move to Texas and am looking for a job in surveying any suggestions on what areas in Texas are in need of Surveyors?
I'm not in touch with the job market for surveyors, but I do know that hardly a day goes by when I'm out driving around that I don't see surveyors working here in San Antonio.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Smile At Least You Found Texas

You just can't go wrong no matter where you land. Our metro areas are as vibrant as ever, and our economy is the best of all the states in the Union. You can give ten different places for answers and be right on all of them. But it comes back to what specific thing you are looking for when shopping around for a place to settle. It never hurts to look around and do some homework.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:38 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,812 times
How's the job market for new-graduate mechanical engineers? I've heard that Houston is doing pretty good because of the oil/energy industry.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
How's the job market for new-graduate mechanical engineers? I've heard that Houston is doing pretty good because of the oil/energy industry.
Houston's economy is the best in the entire country. The oil/energy industry plays a large part in that but certainly not the only reason. See for yourself below:

Houston economy leads nation, but it's slowing a bit | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5655044.html - broken link)

Old 12-22-2018, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 399 times
I’m from Louisville Kentucky, and want to start over fresh. I’ve worked in the electrical field for many years, and as machine operator, and machine macanic. I also have a lot of construction experience, and highway construction experience. I’m 49 years old and that kind of makes me nervous about starting over. I’ve been to a few different parts of Texas this year for the first time and loved it. Need help deciding. Derwin Sawyers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas