Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times

Advertisements

More than half of the net new jobs in the United States during the past 12 months were created in the Lone Star State.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 214,000 net new jobs were created in the US from August 2009 to August 2010. Texas created 119,000 jobs during the same period. If every state in the country performed as well, we'd have created about 1.5 million jobs nationally during the past year, and maybe "stimulus" wouldn't be such a dirty word.
What does Austin know that Washington doesn't? At its simplest: Don't overtax and -spend, keep regulations to a minimum, avoid letting unions and trial lawyers run riot -- and display an enormous neon sign saying, "Open for Business."

Why Texas has the jobs - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
Sounds like this is great news for Mexico. Besides that, it dosen't say what kind of jobs were added. Minimum wage jobs don't help anybody. Well, not us Americans I should say. I read an article a while back that said Texas' average income is declining over the next 10-20 years or so. Wonder why.
Tsss
Many high-paid jobs have been added You know the Texas Medical Center ? 75,000 jobs in 2009 / 100,000 expected in 2013
Texas is the first state about exports, and jobs in the international trade are really well paid
Stop this crap, it's just a liberal myth

Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Don't try to lecture me about my state from France. A state you never even set a foot in. Of course, I know the Texas Medical Center. I've been there. Unlike you. Probably got some nice pictures of it, don't you?

Fact is that it's been reported that the average income of Texas will decline. I know why, but you don't know it yet. Something pictures and the Internet won't tell you.
I agree. I bet lots of those jobs are minimum wage. Lots of new retailers entering or expanding in the Texas market.

Considering Texas is the fastest growing state in the country; none of this is surprising to me. More people=more jobs

Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,111 times
Quote:
Don't try to lecture me about my state from France. A state you never even set a foot in. Of course, I know the Texas Medical Center. I've been there. Unlike you. Probably got some nice pictures of it, don't you?

Fact is that it's been reported that the average income of Texas will decline. I know why, but you don't know it yet. Something pictures and the Internet won't tell you.
I agree.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree. I bet lots of those jobs are minimum wage. Lots of new retailers entering or expanding in the Texas market.

Considering Texas is the fastest growing state in the country; none of this is surprising to me. More people=more jobs
Yeah, you "bet".No clue.
I can bet Santa Claus exists, but I can't be sure it's right too

But we know well paid jobs are arrived in exports, high-tech and medicine.
And what is the problem about low-paid jobs ? Everybody don't have a master degree, some people are just high school level, they won't deserve jobs ?
Low-paid jobs are necessary, you must see reality guys...If you think these workers must live with unemployment checks each week you're disguting.
All jobs are good for the economy.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
More than half of the net new jobs in the United States during the past 12 months were created in the Lone Star State.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 214,000 net new jobs were created in the US from August 2009 to August 2010. Texas created 119,000 jobs during the same period. If every state in the country performed as well, we'd have created about 1.5 million jobs nationally during the past year, and maybe "stimulus" wouldn't be such a dirty word.
What does Austin know that Washington doesn't? At its simplest: Don't overtax and -spend, keep regulations to a minimum, avoid letting unions and trial lawyers run riot -- and display an enormous neon sign saying, "Open for Business."

Why Texas has the jobs - NYPOST.com
Very interesting article, thanks for the link.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
You cant feed a family at minimum wage in Texas. You'll need some kind of assistance.

Not that minimum wage is intended to be able to support a "family", but your statement isnt necessarily true.

If the family has 2 children and both parents work 60 hours/week at min wage jobs, that is 43.5K/year. Even if one parent isnt working at all you can support a family of 4 on 21k/year and save money too (I agree it will be tight).

This is the issue with public assistance. I know a family of four can live on a two incomes at min wage, yet because public assistance exists many people who could make it without public assistance get drawn into it.

Im not saying we shouldnt have the programs, just that many people who could survive without it get sucked into the programs.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,381,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Not that minimum wage is intended to be able to support a "family", but your statement isnt necessarily true.

If the family has 2 children and both parents work 60 hours/week at min wage jobs, that is 43.5K/year. Even if one parent isnt working at all you can support a family of 4 on 21k/year and save money too (I agree it will be tight).

This is the issue with public assistance. I know a family of four can live on a two incomes at min wage, yet because public assistance exists many people who could make it without public assistance get drawn into it.

Im not saying we shouldnt have the programs, just that many people who could survive without it get sucked into the programs.
I'm not sure the assumption that two people can find 60 hrs worth of work a week at places that pay minimum wage is a valid one. Not without working multiple jobs at any rate, which brings inherent scheduling conflicts that make maintaining mutliple jobs questionable.

Though as you said it's feasible to live on less than that.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Our unemployment rate should be going down then because, as of now, we're about #20 when it comes to statewide unemployment rates.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Our unemployment rate should be going down then because, as of now, we're about #20 when it comes to statewide unemployment rates.
So many people move to Texas for jobs, it's very different of North Dakota or Nebraska !
Texas created more than 200,000 jobs in 2010, it's huge for a 25 million people state, but it's not enough to help texans + americans for the other states.
But in 2011 a sharp fall in unemployment is expected : 6.5% unemployment rate in Texas in December 2011 Pretty good huh ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas