Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Can't say I've ever heard of her...

BTW...how do you "sound" Black?

If a White person made that comment it would be considered racist, but some how in this case it is accepted because a Black person said it about a White person?

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of her...

BTW...how do you "sound" Black?

If a White person made that comment it would be considered racist, but some how in this case it is accepted because a Black person said it about a White person?

Just sayin'.
if a white person said what? that someone sounds/sings black? that wouldn't be racist. i don't know any black person that would take offense to that comment.

people can act PC if they want, but it's no real secret that for the most part, blacks and whites sing differently. teena marie sung with soul. all those extra runs and riffs she does are generally associated with soul music. the unique way that blacks express themselves and their culture

the fact that you never even heard of her helps to prove this point. teena marie was a white woman who was more known by blacks than whites

Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
if a white person said what? that someone sounds/sings black? that wouldn't be racist. i don't know any black person that would take offense to that comment.

people can act PC if they want, but it's no real secret that for the most part, blacks and whites sing differently. teena marie sung with soul. all those extra runs and riffs she does are generally associated with soul music. the unique way that blacks express themselves and their culture

the fact that you never even heard of her helps to prove this point. teena marie was a white woman who was more known by blacks than whites
So if a black person sings like Frank Sinatra do they sound white or black?

Nat King Cole anyone?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So if a black person sings like Frank Sinatra do they sound white or black?

Nat King Cole anyone?
nat king cole is a pioneer of singing that many white artists adopted after him. similar to the way that early 19th century black recording artists were the pioneers of rock 'n' roll--a genre that, today, is dominated by whites. saying that he, lena horne, billie holiday or any other similar artist sings white wouldn't be accurate

Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
What an awesome singer. She is part of my yuppie area. She could out sing just about anyone out there today

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Damn! and she was only 54. This is definitely a loss to the R&B world. I wonder how her daughter is doing right now? I give Alia my condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: