Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times

Advertisements

Soggy Bottom Boys- I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
I'm generally fine with Texans saying they are southern, or not, on an individual basis. I, personally, feel no affiliation or affection for "the South," but if others do, then neat.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
I am a Texan.

I am also a Southerner. My family history for several generations on both sides consisted of people from Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. Most of those that ended up in Texas originally hailed from Tennessee and North Carolina. They brought their Southern traditions with them. I have always considered myself A) a Texan and B) a Southerner.

Even though I know I don't fit many "typical" Texan or Southern stereotypes, I recognize that being a Texan and being a Southerner is part of who I am, and I wonder, when we finally move away, if we will be comfortable living in a state that isn't Southern. I really think I would love the Oregon or Washington landscape and climate, for example, and politically I'd fit right in... but will it forever feel "off" to me, being from the South, in a cultural sense? Guess I'll find out eventually.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, I would say it from the opposite direction. That is, some parts of New Mexico (far eastern part), were influenced by western Texas...which in turn was mostly settled by pioneers from the southeastern United States, rather than the other way around.

That is the reason I always said (and yeah, I know this is just me and that some disagree), I always distinguished most of "west Texas" as being "Southwestern" as in "western South" (the original "Old Southwest" definition), as opposed to that of NM and AZ, which are Southwestern as in "southern West" (where very little is, unlike Texas, "Southern" about them).

Along the lines of the "accent"...I always thought this description pretty much served as an analogy of the general culture of Texas itself. Here it is (along with the main link):

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

The most basic explanation of a Texas accent is that it’s a Southern accent with a twist... The broadly defined “Texas accent” began to form ... when two populations merged here in the mid-nineteenth century. Settlers who migrated from Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi brought with them what would later become the Lower South Dialect (its drawl left an imprint on East Texas), while settlers from Tennessee and Kentucky brought with them the South Midland Dialect (its twang had a greater influence in West Texas). Added to the mix of Anglo settlers from the Deep South and Appalachia who began talking to each other was an established Spanish-speaking population and an influx of Mexican, German, and Czech immigrants. “What distinguishes a Texas accent the most is the confluence of its influences....[/i]

Anyway, point being, it metaphorically sums up that while Texas is essentially a Southern state, it also contains some colorful and different varieties of other influences, as well.
Another great post TexasReb, I'd give you another rep point but I'm not allowed to give anymore to you yet lol. That makes more sense the way that you said it, New Mexico is like West Texas rather than West Texas being like New Mexico. I wasn't thinking lol. I guess it's kind of like if my grandfather and I had a resemblance, it is more appropriate to say that I look like him rather than the other way around. I have to say I'm really enjoying these chats, you're very knowledgeable and always seem to have great posts with a lot of cool information! Did you hear an accent when Selena or Lisa Whelchel speak? I hear soft Southern accents in some of their interviews but others I don't hear it as much. Miranda Lambert's accent sounds quite strong to me, in a good way of course!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
IMO, it depends on the part of Texas. East TX down to Houston would probably identify with being Southern. West Texas would identify more with the Southwest. I'm from central Texas and consider myself a TEXAN. LOL
I have have family in Georgia and South Carolina, and Texas is vastly different in many ways from those states. For one, the lack of Confederate flags. :x
We recently lived in San Antonio--not the South.

Texas is too big to pigeonholed and categorized into one region.
It's just...Texas

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM

Oh and BTW, I think a good way to describe the taste of boiled peanuts is to think of kidney beans. I like them but they're only good every so often, like when I VISIT the SOUTH. LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
The South ends on a line drawn between Dallas and Houston. Go further west, to Fort Worth, Abilene, or Laredo, and you're not in the South any more. This is especially visible between Dallas and Fort Worth, where it's the go-to distinction of the two cities.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
IMO, it depends on the part of Texas. East TX down to Houston would probably identify with being Southern. West Texas would identify more with the Southwest. I'm from central Texas and consider myself a TEXAN. LOL
I have have family in Georgia and South Carolina, and Texas is vastly different in many ways from those states. For one, the lack of Confederate flags. :x
We recently lived in San Antonio--not the South.

Texas is too big to pigeonholed and categorized into one region.
It's just...Texas
Definitely no shortage of Confederate flags in East Texas. You'll occasionally see them in other parts of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
The South ends on a line drawn between Dallas and Houston. Go further west, to Fort Worth, Abilene, or Laredo, and you're not in the South any more. This is especially visible between Dallas and Fort Worth, where it's the go-to distinction of the two cities.
I personally see Fort Worth as a southern city. Very much so.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Oh and BTW, I think a good way to describe the taste of boiled peanuts is to think of kidney beans. I like them but they're only good every so often, like when I VISIT the SOUTH. LOL
Oh....ewwwww. I HATE kidney beans, thanks for the warning (though I'd still try fresh ones if I had the chance, LOL)!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Definitely no shortage of Confederate flags in East Texas. You'll occasionally see them in other parts of the state.

I personally see Fort Worth as a southern city. Very much so.
Right-- that's what I consider East TX to be part of the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas