Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I agree with Cathy. I will argue with someone who called me a Southerner. I'm a Texan.
Absolutely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
I just wish more people understood that being different and having your own identity doesn't mean you aren't southern. Memphis is nothing like Charleston, Asheville is nothing like Biloxi, and Texas has a remarkable heritage of its own. Hell, if anything, people should proudly say that we are the largest and most dynamic of the southern states.

As for the OP, I honestly believe that most Texans recognize themselves as southerners, but it's more of an afterthought.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
The population of Texas is close to 40% Latin@/Chican@/Tejan@/Hispanic. In many ways, the south here refers to Mexico, i.e. what is south of the border. Historically, the Texan War of Independence and the US/Mexico war of 1848 are as, if not more important, than the Civil War or the war between states or whatever you want to call it. The defining military battles are the Alamo and San Jacinto.

No southern state was a possession of Mexico and then an independent republic. Sure Texas has southern elements, but right now they are increasingly nostalgic. Texas has as much in common with California and New York as it does with the South - a huge diversified economy, its population is predominantly urban and suburban and significantly cosmopolitan.

The southern elements are an important part of the mix, but Texas is first and foremost a border state. If it were an independent country, it would have the 13th largest economy in the world. It is a hybrid of the south, west and Mexico with the not unjustified braggardliness of New Yorkers.

I am neither a Southerner nor a Texan, but it is easy as heck to tell the difference.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
In my experience, NOT most Texans I know would want to be called a Southerner.

I was trying to see if a study had been done (wouldn't that be a great idea?), and I came across this quote, which I love:
" Texas isn't really part of any region. Texas is kind of its own region. Texas doesn't need to be part of the South, its too busy being Texas."

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The population of Texas is close to 40% Latin@/Chican@/Tejan@/Hispanic. In many ways, the south here refers to Mexico, i.e. what is south of the border. Historically, the Texan War of Independence and the US/Mexico war of 1848 are as, if not more important, than the Civil War or the war between states or whatever you want to call it. The defining military battles are the Alamo and San Jacinto.

No southern state was a possession of Mexico and then an independent republic. Sure Texas has southern elements, but right now they are increasingly nostalgic. Texas has as much in common with California and New York as it does with the South - a huge diversified economy, its population is predominantly urban and suburban and significantly cosmopolitan.

The southern elements are an important part of the mix, but Texas is first and foremost a border state. If it were an independent country, it would have the 13th largest economy in the world. It is a hybrid of the south, west and Mexico with the not unjustified braggardliness of New Yorkers.

I am neither a Southerner nor a Texan, but it is easy as heck to tell the difference.
You'll have to speak for yourself, homeinatx. "The South" as I know it, isn't just passing nostalgia, but it's present in my life, and I was born, raised, and still reside in the most cosmopolitan city in this state, so that's saying something.

Diversified economy/predominantly urban and suburban/increasingly cosmopolitan describes virtually every significantly populated area in the South, from Dallas to Atlanta to Miami.

When I lived in Atlanta, I would take road trips to central South Carolina with friends. Mind you, this region is what many would consider the epitome of what it means to be southern, yet the familiarity and sense of home I felt there was incredible.

Once we get away from the hyperbole, we come to see that the average Texan has more in common with the non-Texan southerners than we realize. I dare say that some of y'all simply need to open up your minds more.

Now, what are these definite differences between Texans and other southerners?

Last edited by Nairobi; 01-31-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM

I find that I need to open my mind remark offensive.

I'm sorry, but I was born in Germany to a German mother and Puerto Rican father, raised since 8 in Texas, went to college in Texas (hook 'em!), and with the USAF lived in AL CA ND CA CO TX CO. My husbands from VT and went to college in SC. We were married in SC and my dad lives in GA, so many of my divorced-parent-visitation summers were spent there. The fact that I can't stand the Deep South and what it stands for does not mean I need to "open my mind", thank you very much.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM

And my PR father is about as redneck as you can get. He grew up in NJ and has a GA accent, carries his guns around and all that. So you can't stereotype him either.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I was born in Germany to a German mother and Puerto Rican father, raised since 8 in Texas, went to college in Texas (hook 'em!), and with the USAF lived in AL CA ND CA CO TX CO. My husbands from VT and went to college in SC. We were married in SC and my dad lives in GA, so many of my divorced-parent-visitation summers were spent there. The fact that I can't stand the Deep South and what it stands for does not mean I need to "open my mind", thank you very much.
I'm sorry you chose to take offense to that statement, but I can guarantee you it wasn't intended.

It's just that the whole "we're not the south because we're different" arguments are pretty consistent, without ever really making much sense to me. And, more often than not, I find that these ideas are associated with a rather superficial perception of what "The South" is. That's just my honest opinion.

You're not wrong for not feeling like a southerner. If someone from Alabama demanded that you not refer to them as a southerner, would you honor that?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM

Sure. Why should I call someone what they don't want to be identified with? Maybe they want to be called American.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:

Yes, that was a pretty offensive comment, all right.

Just because someone (and someone with extensive experience of the actual South) doesn't agree with you that Texas is a Southern state doesn't mean that THEY are the ones whose mind needs opening. See how turning that around can demonstrate how offensive it is?

I realize that you and TexasReb are married to the idea that Texas, no matter all of the other influences, some of which are just as strong or stronger, some of which have been here LONGER than the Southern influences, is a Southern state. But that doesn't mean that someone who disagrees with you has a closed mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas