Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,321 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hi, this is my first post here and I am looking for a little advice, please. I have decided to move to Texas from Wisconsin, however, I am not going to just up and leave. I am a single mother with a 9-year-old daughter. My plan is to give myself 1-1 ½ years to get prepared for the move. During this time, I would like to save up some money, find an exemplary school for my daughter, a job, and housing beforehand. Some of the issues I am having are trying to decide on which city to move to because it is such a large state. I am also trying to figure out which areas have a combination of the most career opportunities, best elementary/middle schools, family activities, less humidity, and lower crime rates. Since my move is so far off, I have been trying to do some research, but I am getting overwhelmed with so much information on the varying cities. So this is what prompted me to ask people to get their opinions on their great state. I’m thinking that I need to settle on a city I want to move to first, then try to find a job in the vicinity, along with my daughter’s school and housing. Am I going about this the right way? I appreciate any advice you can offer me.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Its not a good idea to move anywhere without a job first

Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Find the job first. The state of Texas is huge, and you need to try and live close to where you work. Every major metro area has parts with great schools.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilajgray View Post
I am also trying to figure out which areas have a combination of the most career opportunities, best elementary/middle schools, family activities, less humidity, and lower crime rates.
El Paso meets all of your criteria and is ranked as the "2nd safest city in the USA." But it also requires the most cultural adjustment of other cities in Texas equal in size. Next to mind would be Amarillo or Lubbock, taking into consideration your "low humidity" requirement. All other major cities have greater humidity and summer discomforts.

Going smaller than El Paso, there are numerous towns that would qualify - Odessa/Midland, San Angelo, Abilene for example.

Other than that, it's a toss-up which big city would be the most likely to please all of your needs, humidity aside. IN MY OPINION! I personally enjoyed living in San Antonio the most (compared to Houston, Dallas, Austin and El Paso). It's the only major city I'd consider returning to if I were thinking of living there long-term.

PS If you're not fixated on Texas, I personally would consider Tulsa, OK comparing it with San Antonio for all-around livability.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice, it was very helpful. I have never thought about Tulsa, Ok, but will definitely look into it. I will take into consider everyone’s opinion when planning for my move. Thanks again

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,578 times
Hope this helps... but i also plan to move to houston, texas and was doing a lot of research recently. i've come across the "nice suburban areas" such as Cypress, Katy, Spring, Tomball, Humble, Kingwood, and Sugarland (all these cities are located in Houston, and is considered a "nice friendly suburban area with good school districts).
The last city aside from Houston is San Antonio (which i am looking more into). I've come across san antonio being a nice area to reside quite often. Good luck to you! I'm still searching but hope my search so far has been helpful to you. =)

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 AM

Thank you so much EsterYi1! Yes, you were very helpful. Good luck to you also.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
El Paso meets all of your criteria and is ranked as the "2nd safest city in the USA." But it also requires the most cultural adjustment of other cities in Texas equal in size. Next to mind would be Amarillo or Lubbock, taking into consideration your "low humidity" requirement. All other major cities have greater humidity and summer discomforts.

Going smaller than El Paso, there are numerous towns that would qualify - Odessa/Midland, San Angelo, Abilene for example.

Other than that, it's a toss-up which big city would be the most likely to please all of your needs, humidity aside. IN MY OPINION! I personally enjoyed living in San Antonio the most (compared to Houston, Dallas, Austin and El Paso). It's the only major city I'd consider returning to if I were thinking of living there long-term.

PS If you're not fixated on Texas, I personally would consider Tulsa, OK comparing it with San Antonio for all-around livability.
Weather-wise El Paso would be the best. Many parts of Texas are very hot and very humid. Scenery-wise El Paso would be toward the top since it has a mountain right in the middle of town and the best sunsets you could hope for. And it's quite safe.

Career and school would be another matter. People who don't have native-Mexican fluency in Spansh often find it difficult to obtain a job but it depends a lot on what kind of work they do. Schools in El Paso are weak on math and science and the drop out rate is very high.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
and with the violence of Mexican drug gangs permeating the areas along the border I find it difficult to believe that El Paso is the safe city it is described

my aunt and uncle and cousin lived in El Paso for decades--my aunt and uncle died years ago but my cousin only this summer--
there is plenty of theft in El Paso and other types of crime--one reason that people build adobe walls around their lots and put glass on top--

Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and with the violence of Mexican drug gangs permeating the areas along the border I find it difficult to believe that El Paso is the safe city it is described

my aunt and uncle and cousin lived in El Paso for decades--my aunt and uncle died years ago but my cousin only this summer--
there is plenty of theft in El Paso and other types of crime--one reason that people build adobe walls around their lots and put glass on top--

I guess you are not recommending El Paso. All of the cities(including El Paso) in this thread would suit the OP fine, sans the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas