Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,815,679 times

Advertisements

If Dallas and Fort Worth have to be combined to make it a region large enough to realistically compete with other cities in the country and even Texas why do we keep them separated on CD? It seems like we should have a single DFW forum instead of 2 forums for what is considered one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
For the same resns all the smaller cities around Houston are not combined with Houston is my guess.But then again they also compete against each other really.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,215,351 times
I think Ft Worth residents don't want to be lumped together with Dallas for any reason other than population metrics. Individually they are still large cities with distinctly different identities.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,815,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I think Ft Worth residents don't want to be lumped together with Dallas for any reason other than population metrics. Individually they are still large cities with distinctly different identities.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,521,584 times
Because many Fort Worth people will get upset and riot if you confuse them for Dallas. But in the eyes of some Dallasites, Fort Worth is just an uppity suburb that doesn't know its place in North Texas.

I'm not sure they have to be combined to compete with other cities though. Populationwise, Dallas is the third largest city in Texas all by itself and top 10 in the U.S. Fort Worth is not as large but is culturally very significant all by itself.

I think they could easily be combined for purposes of the forum though. Many people come to the Dallas forum asking about Fort Worth suburbs or the metroplex as a whole. The same thing happens, if less frequently, on Fort Worth's board.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
Fort Worth and Dallas are distinctly different in culture and attitude. I do NOT "lump them together", nor does anyone I know who lives in DFW (I live in Ft Worth). They should certainly not be combined. "Population metrics" have nothing to do with it. Dallas can go ahead and be bigger; it isn't a plus in my book. Before someone says I do, I don't hate Dallas. But Fort Worth is 'where the West begins'. Dallas is 'where the East peters out'.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
I don't see them as the same city AT ALL!! They are just two cities who happen to be close to one another and share some metro amenities, like DFW airport.

Plus, for the forum purposes, if your job is in Fort Worth, you're not going to want to read gazillions of posts about Plano, Wylie, Lakewood, Rockwall and other Dallas suburbs that are 40-50 miles away from your job. That's not commutable. Likewise, with Aledo, Keller, and other Fort Worth suburbs if your job is in Dallas. Yes, there are suburbs in the middle where you could possibly live and commute to either business district, but overlap is the minority.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM

277 posts, read 693,393 times
The area is divided into two metropolitan divisions: Dallas-Plano-Irving and Fort Worth-Arlington. Wiki does a good job of breaking it down for you... Click her>>> Dallas

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
For the same resns all the smaller cities around Houston are not combined with Houston is my guess.But then again they also compete against each other really.
Actually, Houston and it's suburbs are combined into one forum.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 892,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't see them as the same city AT ALL!!
Yep. I don't know anyone who lives in DFW who refers to the two cities as one. I'm sure our residents are intelligent enough to realize that DFW is a region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Actually, Houston and it's suburbs are combined into one forum.
Right, but how many of Houston's suburbs have populations of 700,000+?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas