Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 AM

227 posts, read 385,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Where are you from and what is so Horrendous about Waco?
Wow, seriously? Where do I begin? Crime, extreme poverty, pretentiousness, old money, read the Waco Trib sometime. It's an insight into a terrible city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:25 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Wow, seriously? Where do I begin? Crime, extreme poverty, pretentiousness, old money, read the Waco Trib sometime. It's an insight into a terrible city.
You never said where youre from. And you only have 5 posts.

I spent 5 years of my life in Waco and never once dealt with crime, pretentiousness (except maybe from some rich Baylor kids). What's wrong with old money? It's an old city... There are plenty of nice parts of Waco.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
You never said where youre from. And you only have 5 posts.

I spent 5 years of my life in Waco and never once dealt with crime, pretentiousness (except maybe from some rich Baylor kids). What's wrong with old money? It's an old city... There are plenty of nice parts of Waco.
5 years? Really? I have a lot more Waco experience than that and I assure you, it's not a nice place!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Well what kind of budget were you living on? Where in Waco did you live? You are seriously talking crap on 5 years of experience when you refuse to reveal anything about you or your "sources"..? You have yet to say where you live now, and I doubt you'll answer the other two questions I just asked..

5 years and the only crime I experienced was my room mates car being broken into when he parked it in an alley over night (he was kind of asking for it..). Not bad for a city that you assure me is "not a nice place".

Sure there are shady parts of town and a large percentage of people in poverty, but if you are street smart it's not a problem. The bums that roam around the fast food places near campus are about the most "poverty" I ever dealt with.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful but I don't believe that five years as a college student living in the Baylor bubble gives you a lot of insight into life in waco. Like you, I have never been the victim of crime in Waco but I am well aware that it exists. I'm also aware that recent data show around 30 percent of Waco people live in poverty, which makes it one of the poorer cities in Texas.

Texas has many great places to live, in all regions. Waco is definitely not one of them.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not meaning to be disrespectful but I don't believe that five years as a college student living in the Baylor bubble gives you a lot of insight into life in waco. Like you, I have never been the victim of crime in Waco but I am well aware that it exists. I'm also aware that recent data show around 30 percent of Waco people live in poverty, which makes it one of the poorer cities in Texas.

Texas has many great places to live, in all regions. Waco is definitely not one of them.
Considering I lived off campus/OUTSIDE the "Baylor bubble" in downtown for much of that time, I would say I'm plenty qualified to speak my opinions of the city. You are right, there is higher than average crime and poverty, but if you have the means to avoid the poorer housing/parts of town, then it's not so bad as you make it out to seem. Your acting like it's some gang infested third world country when in reality it's just a poorer city in a state that's very prosperous (at least ATM).

I like how you still have yet to answer any of my questions and are so quick to jump all over my opinions..

Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM

I'm not jumping over your opinions at all. Waco is a fine place to live if you are a Baylor student here for just a few years. If you want to make it a long term place to live, I'd say it's a very bad choice.

Sure, you can live in the nicer areas but unless you want to live in total isolation, you'll still be exposed to wider Waco and it's not a good place. When the Woodway CVS was subjected to armed robbery last year, I realized that even the nicest areas are touched by Waco's overall high crime.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:23 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
My opinion is that Waco crime doesn't match other cities that I have been to. Sure Waco has it's rough parts but over all it's just your small average American city. Same could be said with the Temple- Killeen area which isn't that dangerous either.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
I'm not jumping over your opinions at all. Waco is a fine place to live if you are a Baylor student here for just a few years. If you want to make it a long term place to live, I'd say it's a very bad choice.

Sure, you can live in the nicer areas but unless you want to live in total isolation, you'll still be exposed to wider Waco and it's not a good place. When the Woodway CVS was subjected to armed robbery last year, I realized that even the nicest areas are touched by Waco's overall high crime.
Well I lived in Waco for 18 years. I would never recommend someone move there, but growing up there wasn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
Having grown up in Waco and still going to school there I can say it has its own major pitfalls. Then again, what city doesn't? If someone thinks it's bad now, then you should have seen it back in the '90s...in fifteen years Waco has come a LONG way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas