Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM

31 posts, read 84,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlnaustin View Post
That is what my daughter and her family found - and myself as well when I visited there - they finally moved - her husband was transferred - they left a lot of stuff they didn't have room to take with them - but gave all the stuff away - as they KNEW THAT STUFF WAS NEVER IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO GO BACK DOWN THERE TO GET IT - - - - you inderstand why - they are happy now and relieved to be out of that place - God bless you and i will keep you in my prayers that you can get out of there as well - TL
Ok this makes absolutely no sence. Please elaborate on what you, your daughter and son in law experienced. Your still making statements with no evidence or structure to back it up. No I do not and can not understand if you do not specifically state what you are trying to say.

I am not trying to be rude, I would just like to see posters on this topi explain so we can further under stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 55,912 times
You just took the words right out of my mouth. Wow!!! Oh and I went to Dr. York too which is totally coincidental. THANK YOU FOR POSTING!! I get out of here in a little under 250,000 minutes. Yes, I am at the point of counting minutes. Sorry, this post was in response to wbnigel

Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Default Listen to wbnigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnigel View Post
Ok--I moved down here in June 2010 desperate for work in education, and receiving a great (i thought) contract. I spent over $13,000 moving all of my belongings, my children and my life down here believing all would be great, that I could tolerate whatever the valley threw at me. I have now been here 9 months. Our feelings about this place? WRONG DON'T MOVE HERE. DON'T BELIEVE THE PROPAGANDA POSTINGS HERE. The valley is a black hole that sucks you dry and gives nothing. Passive aggressiveness against whites and blacks. Valley residents have severe inferiority complexes (for good reason) and take it out on newcomers. The people herea are a stp away from drooling...Are you thinking warm weather and beaches at South Padre? Beaches and the rest of the valley scenery are saturated with garbage, plastic bags, mattresses, used diapers, watermelon carcasses, in the parking lots, no zoning. Horribly depressing. Garbage just blows around and no one gives a s--t. Its all about having babies, sucking off of welfare--and I was AGAINST IMMIGRATION REFORM AND REDNECK IDEAS OF IMMIGRATION. I AM A LIBERAL AND I THINK THE PEOPLE HERE ARE DISGUSTING. I lost my ass coming down here with pure intentions. THese people draw you here to suck you dry and then KNOW you will l of liberal socially conscious reform.

That's the game. Do not fall for the "those poor people" bull. The valley is a land of lazy,slothenly vampires.

If you decide to come here anyway, here are my few bits of advice: beware of smiling happy people. #1 The moment they have your money or your signed contract they treat you like ****. #2: keep your (or create your) electric bill. Everyone will demand to see it--the post office, the schools, the rental office, the bank. AND the electric company!!!!! Speaking of Post offices: dont' use the one downtown on 12th street (?) they suck.Don't use the dog sitter on Upas Street--racist against whites. Don't use the following doctors or dentists: Dr. Worrell--a nutcase; Dr. Kilgore, also a nutcase: Dr. York the most expensive dentist in Texas. DON'T rent from Rani Flores of Sandlecast Properties!!!!!!!!!!!! She manages the condos/apts on 10th street and Trenton--she 's only good for wiggling her ass in front of your husband. Residents complain that since she has managed the place it has gone to hell: trash everywhere; cigarette butts everywhere; police always there. She never does what she says she will. A worthless human who only sucks resources nad gives nothing back.
The Valley is very classist as well and so artificially classist to boot. THe "nouveau" rich think Juicy Couture and throwing their trendy boxes out of their Hummer windows is the thing. THe poor hate them but buy the fake resemblances thereof. Also---the valley is a demographic of predominantly young--teens and 20s. Nothing to do here but eat, screw, have babies, go to "downtown with your hooker dress and platform shoes" screw some more and go shopping at the mall.. Welcome to the "new valley."
Think I'm resentful? I am. I've lived in India, Panama, Thailand, Europe and Africa: I loved my experiences there over many, many years. I loved contributing to those economies and those happy, grateful people. ( I lived in Nicaragua for 9 years.)Such an aura does not exist here. They expect you to give all in the name of "white guilt." Disgusting...and no pity.... Welcome to an example of the most disappointing of our species: Don't believe me? Go to "Ross" on a Saturday...you'll see it all in a microcosm.
I could not have said it any better myself. You nailed it!!! I THOUGHT I was a bleeding heart liberal. Those days are gone. The Rio Grande Valley is one big identity crisis and indeed the armpit of Texas. Possibly America

My husband took a job here and it was a huge mistake. This is a place to come to if you want to give up. The locals DO have an inferiority complex and take it out on "outsiders." I grew up in San Antonio so it is not like I have never interacted with Mexicans. I am married to a man who is half Mexican! It is a totally different ball game down here. Words cannot describe (although wbnigel did a pretty good job) the soul sucking environment down here. There is no hope here. P.S. My mother is from Louisiana (Lafayette area) so I am familiar with both cultures you speak of. There is no joie de vie, only misery and they love company. My advice is to stay away.

Last edited by AbandonAllHope; 04-05-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Got some examples for you: (this past weekend)
1)took bed comforters to laundromat to wash and they were stolen while I was in bathroom
2)several reprimands for not being able to speak Spanish. rather hostile "aye" with a rolling of the eyes
3)took son to Dr. and they did not know how to bill for Blue Cross Blue Shield (they only know Medicaid)
4)I could go on but seriously I think a visit to ROSS off 83 and Jackson would seal the deal for you. Just watch

Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonAllHope View Post
Got some examples for you: (this past weekend)
1)took bed comforters to laundromat to wash and they were stolen while I was in bathroom
2)several reprimands for not being able to speak Spanish. rather hostile "aye" with a rolling of the eyes
3)took son to Dr. and they did not know how to bill for Blue Cross Blue Shield (they only know Medicaid)
4)I could go on but seriously I think a visit to ROSS off 83 and Jackson would seal the deal for you. Just watch
You seem to be on a vendetta to put us down (multiple posts about McAllen) or you really have bad luck.. I have lived in McAllen all of my life and I don't see it the same way you do. Sure we have our problems, but who doesn't. And no I don't have an inferiority complex and frankly I don't know anybody that does.

1. As for the laundromat thing, you must have had your reasons to go to the laundromat in the first place and I have taken clothes to the laundromat in the past many times (I own my own washer and dryer). I have actually left my clothes in the washer or dryer and physically left the place for an hour or so and came back and guess what? my clothes were still there. Who the hell wants someone's dirty used bed comforters?

2. Reprimands for not speaking Spanish? From Who? this does not make sense... To hell with them and what they think.. I've never seen anybody get reprimanded for not speaking Spanish (not even in Mexico)

3. Which Dr. did not know how to bill Blue Cross?, every doctor I have visited has had no problem billing insurance.. They are experts in that area and when the insurance doesn't pay the claim they are experts on sending the bill to you at home.. Was this doctor's office in the ghetto? where there are nothing but low income people?

4. ROSS store? What? were there too many Mexicans for you to handle. Helloooo, there are many Mexicans and Mexican Americans in our area and yes the Mexican nationals do come here to shop. They do actually help the economy although their attitude does suck many times, I'll give you that..

You have to understand that this area (McAllen and the Rio Grande Valley) is right on the border and yes it is deeply influenced by Mexico and it's culture.. It's not black and white, it's very grey. Sure not everyone is white collar and there are many people on minimum wage, food stamps etc, but to simply put everyone here in the same category is simply unfair.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Don't want to sound hostile (I'm not trying to be), I just had to put in my two cents and offer a rebuttal. Oh and by the way I am Hispanic and from this area. My family did not cross the border, it crossed us (and that's a fact!)

Last edited by Bo; 05-26-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
AbandonAllHope's posts are hilarious!! Here are my responses, ala gguerra------

1. I've taken comforters/bedspreads to be washed; you LEAVE them with the staff and they do it for you so you don't have to sit at the laundramat. You come back later and pick them up folded and wrapped in plastic. Super easy.

2. I have never, ever had anyone roll their eyes or make snide comments if I choose not to speak Spanish.

3. Not knowing how to bill insurance? That's hard to believe--who referred you to this doctor?

4. This one is my favorite! ROSS is famous for being a trashy store--I don't care where it's located--that's just they way they always are. I have shopped for years at different locations across the country and those stores are always in a state of disarray and crowded. I'd suggest you try Marshall's or TJMaxx as they tend to be more orderly and they carry much the same type of merchandise.

I guess your screen name says it all!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 AM

76 posts, read 193,191 times
Wow, I am appalled at how rude some of you can be.
I am from the Valley, born and raised in Alamo and McAllen.
Moderator cut: see comment saying stuff about the way the women supposedly dress- get over it. We can dress however we want.
Just because you don't understand a culture doesn't mean it's wrong. And you guys are supposed to be "adults".

Don't be angry that you white people aren't the majority in this city. That's what you're making it sound like the issue is.
But now you see how it is for minorities in areas where 'whites' are the majority. There isn't really a race issue unless you create one.

Oh, I'm 17 years old, Mexican and Irish and can speak multiple languages. English, Spanish, Irish (Gaelic), German, and Russian. I've never had a problem with the language thing. I speak English the vast majority of time and don't speak Spanish unless someone speaks it to me first which has only happened like one time. They tend to speak English to everyone, especially kids, teenagers, and young adults because a lot of them don't know how to speak Spanish and they're natives here. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Come down here with a nice, friendly attitude and you'll be fine. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 04-08-2011 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: I explained why these 2 portions were deleted in a Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Some people have a real chip on their shoulders. No one is saying the Valley is a utopia, but it isn't a rat hole like some posters are trying to portray it.

Here is the thing, if you move here thinking you are the know it all who will help teach the backwards locals the "right way" to do things based on your ideals and points of view and expect people to greet that line of thought positivly, you are in for a surprise.

If you move here and are familair with Chicano culture and can adapt to it without viewing yourself as a victim everytime life throws a curve ball at you...you will be fine.

No where is perfect, but to paint the Valley as such a horrific place is a gross exageration and if someone has sooo much negativity to spew based on their time here it says more about them than the community.

The Valley certainly has a different mentality than mainstream America, it is a small town one and based on Mexican American culture. That isn't a bad thing, it is just foreign to a lot of people. And many people think the way things are done "back home" are the correct way...and when they move to the Valley they just attack the people and place. There is not a real effort to ajust to the area, to learn from it, to grow. People just shut down and as they say, become miserable and their misery loves company.

If you are looking for an affordable place to live in a warm to hot climate with a strong Hispanic influence...in a rather isolated area but with amenities of most moderate sized cities, the Valley is for you. If that does not sound good, you will not be happy there long term. But let's stop the negativity overkill folks!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 AM

437 posts, read 792,290 times
It's Norte Mexicano. Trust me.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
It's Norte Mexicano. Trust me.
So is the rest of Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, New Mexico, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas