Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM

64 posts, read 144,315 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am doing my own search and saw some"long view" threads and Tyler threads too..
I will be posted in longview and my wife in tyler (or either or dont know yet... but both of us in health sector and we are Asians ).

Where do you guys think we should take a home so that our commute is not bad..(and of course wify "does not want to drive long" ),

We are looking for rental only now .
We have no family(yet).

The rent is not a bar for us for the right place ...we just want a really nice place.

My research shows Hallsville, liberty city,kilgore... but currently I am in PA and my research is noob

Any suggestion is most welcome.

Last edited by namesake1981; 01-11-2011 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,968 times
Geographically speaking Kilgore, Gladewater, White Oak, and Liberty City may be your best bet. Hallsville is east of Longview. Kilgore is the largest town of the four, and may have a better selection of living arrangements.

If you choose Longview (since your wife wants to be close to it), it will have more to offer. You will have a 40+ mile one way commute.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Default hello

i am thinking of taking rental in either tyler or longview and one of us(probab me:0 drive down
out of the two which has better rental places.

this place looks fab but i have no idea how much is its rent?
Luxury Townhomes, Duplexes and Apartments for Rent in Tyler - The Mansions at the Cascades
how bad is the commute and how is the traffic...
Thanks for your reply

Last edited by namesake1981; 01-11-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
The commute isn't too bad. It takes me 30-40 mins going to Tyler by way of Longview. The only town I would recommend staying in since it's right in between Tyler and Longview is Kilgore. Population is around 11,300..and you can it's almost a suburb of Longview since it's only 9 mins away. I would say Tyler has better rental places then Longview since it's the bigger of the 2.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks....

Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I grew up in that area and I would choose Tyler over Longview, although either would be okay. If you want to live between the two, head for Kilgore or even Chapel Hill.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
just be ready for some serious culture shock
this is small town east texas
going to pretty big adjustment IMO--
you won't find that you can live in apt and walk to anyplace -- you are going to be driving to shop/eat/entertain yourself
most people are very church oriented and the thought process is pretty conservative--not saying that people are racist--just have a conservative mindset
maybe you are too so it won't be that big a deal

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Default hi

Yeah!
i know about the culture shock...
I really dont know if i am prepared for it....
But I am sure this is not one of the"bible -thumper" city .
I was in NYC for 3yrs and in Pa for sometime... and never felt "racial".
I think Texans are friendly and people who are "racist" exists everywhere.

Ok so I am getting this from more than 1 person that Tyler> Longview.....(and I was thinking just the opposite ).
which is more liberal (longview> Tyler)

Big thank ya! all of you!

In BTW:where is Mark-Tyler is Special comments

Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
You won't see much difference between Tyler and Longview as far as being liberal (both in the social and political sense of the word). It's just a more conservative part of the state in general, although people will be very friendly and accepting if you're the same to them.

True, there are a lot of Baptist and Methodist churches there, but there are also all other denominations as well as people who aren't religious at all.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Default hmm

Ok...
yes that is good to know...
of course ... I m really excited about the move... and hopefully will be able to check the area pretty soon.
ll try to check out both the places...get the local newspaper and
(rent a car from Tyler airport and go both places).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas