U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM

351 posts, read 606,780 times

Advertisements

I live in Phoenix and I am getting out of here because it's HOT and very BAD air quality. Out of all the places I have looked at Amarillo seems to be the best. One of the few places I can afford a house. I can spend up to $150K but not a dollar more. Four seasons. Fresh air. Wind and Storms. Has a VA hospital. Small enough to be perfect. So now all I have to do is find a safe neighborhood. I'm 63 years old and I don't need to be in a crime zone. Can anyone tell me the places to stay away from and the better places to live?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,909,894 times
You'll want to avoid the east and north/northeast parts of town. The nicer parts around the VA, the other hospitals and the mall would be very convenient for you and not overly priced. It's also the safest part of town.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM

28 posts, read 66,142 times
Stay away from parts of downtown at night too. There's occasionally something stupid going on somewhere on Polk St. where the bars and restaurants are, but the police do a pretty good job here.

Like Gayle said, E/NE can be dangerous. I lived in San Jacinto for a bit, and while it wasn't a war zone, there was a lot of the thumping stereos, cracked-out houses, and alley drug deals going on.

There are some fairly affordable homes for sale on the south side, in nice neighborhoods.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM

49 posts, read 147,658 times
Default Amarillo?

Hey...can somebody tell me more about Amarillo? Is Amarillo pretty? Is it there a good nightlife?
I am a college graduate, from Europe and I would like to come to Texas to learn english...english language course. I am thinking about Canyon tx, UTA Arlington....mayby also about Denton, San Angelo and El paso. Which place would you prefer? school, location, nightlife, fun.
I know that canyon tx is a dry city..what does it mean. How can I get from Canyon to amarillo without a car....take a cab, bus? (is a cab not too expensive?)

thank yall

Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM

4,698 posts, read 7,663,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by european27 View Post
Hey...can somebody tell me more about Amarillo? Is Amarillo pretty? Is it there a good nightlife?
I am a college graduate, from Europe and I would like to come to Texas to learn english...english language course. I am thinking about Canyon tx, UTA Arlington....mayby also about Denton, San Angelo and El paso. Which place would you prefer? school, location, nightlife, fun.
I know that canyon tx is a dry city..what does it mean. How can I get from Canyon to amarillo without a car....take a cab, bus? (is a cab not too expensive?)

thank yall
Your English is already better than that of many native speakers.

Amarillo and Canyon are not pretty by most people's standards. They are on the High Plains, which is very flat with no native trees. However, the towns themselves are generally nicely landscaped, and they probably have some of the more beautiful sunsets in the world. Palo Duro Canyon is only a few miles east of Canyon, and it can be a very nice outdoor retreat for us outdoor enthusiasts out here on the plains.

For nightlife, Amarillo isn't all that great since it's a relatively small city. It's also difficult to get around without a car, and a cab ride from the Amarillo airport to Canyon would probably be fairly expensive. Although Canyon's weather could be considered dry, I believe the meaning you're referring to is the fact that packaged alcohol sales are not allowed within city limits.

Denton is probably the best of the cities on your list for nightlife because it is a college town. Also, Denton is close to Dallas, which, being one of the largest cities in the nation, has a great nightlife.

Good luck with your decision. Where in Europe are you from?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,082,568 times
You can learn a lot about Amarillo here //www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html such as ... Click on each of the various zip codes in the area and it will give you a page with detailed demographics for that area, such as number of people below poverty level, number of renters versus home owners, racial and age distribution, education levels, house prices and a map showing where the zip code is.

There is a link to a zip code map will show you where each zip code is on the main page linked above as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM

"Dry", in this case means you can't buy alcohol in stores. I don't believe it affects restaurants because I don't spend any time in Canyon, and it's not an issue in Randall County.

Amarillo and Canyon are fairly boring, and the weather here in the Panhandle region is erratic at times. And windy.

I can't comment on night life. I work the 3-11 shift, and I don't socialize much.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Your English is already better than that of many native speakers.

Amarillo and Canyon are not pretty by most people's standards. They are on the High Plains, which is very flat with no native trees. However, the towns themselves are generally nicely landscaped, and they probably have some of the more beautiful sunsets in the world. Palo Duro Canyon is only a few miles east of Canyon, and it can be a very nice outdoor retreat for us outdoor enthusiasts out here on the plains.

For nightlife, Amarillo isn't all that great since it's a relatively small city. It's also difficult to get around without a car, and a cab ride from the Amarillo airport to Canyon would probably be fairly expensive. Although Canyon's weather could be considered dry, I believe the meaning you're referring to is the fact that packaged alcohol sales are not allowed within city limits.

Denton is probably the best of the cities on your list for nightlife because it is a college town. Also, Denton is close to Dallas, which, being one of the largest cities in the nation, has a great nightlife.

Good luck with your decision. Where in Europe are you from?
Thank you
I am from Slovakia - EU, which is in a Central Europe. Actually I live in Bratislava ( about 500 000 people live there)) which is only a few miles from Vienna - Austria. Our countryside is totally diferent than a Texas Panhandle. Here in Slovakia and Austria are really big mountains...mayby like in western Montana or Idaho and the weather is pretty simmilar like there. Thats why I am so interested in the Panhandle, I would like to try something different..flat country and hot weather

I have already been to Texas ( Fort Worth, Waxahachie, Corsicana) two years ago and I loved it...probably my favourite US state. People in Texas are the friendliest, I have ever met...

And about that schools... It is a big decision, I would like to stay and study there for a longer time. I was amazed by Amarillo, when I have seen its visitors guide and a pictures...I think it has something special for me.
I would like to know, where the college students use to hangout there in Canyon. If are there any bars or a good places to hangout. Too bad, that the language school for international students isn´t directly in Amarillo.

btw. what about the downtown revitalization in Amarillo? how is it going? I have seen almost all webpages about amarillo and I am interested in everything there

thank you again for your posts, I hope, I will make a good decision.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM

The City would have you believe that more is happening than what is actually happening. They want to develop, but getting it done is another story. There is a new hotel downtown, and there are some cool looking bars and restaurants. But bustling nightlife? Hell no. If you just want to party, Amarillo is going to disappoint you. We have a few small venues where you'll find live music, but whether or not that helps depends on your tastes. We're not going to get a large festival here, though Lubbock gets some bigger acts and it's not THAT far if you have access to a car.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 AM

thanks stellarvore
What do you think, is amarillo a better place than Albuquerque? I am not thinking about the natural scenery now. I know that mountains in NM are not comparable to Panhandle plains... But what about a local landmarks, route 66 landmarks, downtown, revitalisation, nightlife and stuff.
Is Amarillo so much conservative and church based?
Yeah I know that I can´t expect a New Orleans style nightlife in Texas ....but it is OK for me, I just need some good local bars, or places, where to meet a new people and a good school..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas