Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip to visit family in Veracruz I was wondering if you could tell me what is the safest route I should take with my family? We will be driving out vehicle, we are a family of 3, myself, my husband and 8 year old daughter?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
In all honesty I cannot tell you there is a safe route to take at this time. The incident with ICE agents that were shot last week happened on a well traveled 4-lane highway between Monterrey and Mexico City in the state of San Luis Potosi. The road from Reynosa leading south to San Fernando is where the missionary was fatally shot a few weeks ago. In both of those cases it is believed that their vehicle was targeted. San Fernando is a hot spot for the Zeta cartel. Do not travel by SUV or new model truck with crew or ext cab. If you must travel by car going south choose a vehicle that is not of interest to the cartels. A small compact car comes to mind. You may still encounter a narco roadblock. Personally I would postpone my trip for a while a few months at least and maybe even longer.. I am sure your family members will understand.. If you can afford it fly into Veracruz (City) and rent a car. I do not know where you live but you may not be aware of the danger. It is a war zone like Iraq or Afghanistan. Would you take your family there?? I don't think so. I am not understating this.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've lived in San Antonio for 2 years and I'm thinking about visiting Monterrey for the 2nd time (I was a kid the first time) with my wife.
For the people that don't know, it is about a 5 hour drive.

Do you think Monterrey would be safe enough to visit for 1-2 days.
I won't be going anywhere at night, I think I would like to visit a few touristy places in the city and the mountains South of Monterrey.
I would like to do the same thing. Have you heard any responses to your question? I did it in 2003 and it was fine. But with all the news about violence and border issues I'm wondering if has changed. Please let me know if you have had responses.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise2serve View Post
I would like to do the same thing. Have you heard any responses to your question? I did it in 2003 and it was fine. But with all the news about violence and border issues I'm wondering if has changed. Please let me know if you have had responses.
There are responses right here on the board. It's not recommended at this time. Things have changed drastically since 2003.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
It would be safer to walk through Compton in a KKK outfit then drive to Monterrey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas