Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,582 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some insight from people currently residing in Texas for the purposes of prospective relocation.

Being self employed, work is no concern, however I am looking to procure some insight regarding the differences between living in Houston versus living in Dallas.

I have a great appreciation for culture, opera, diversity, fine dining, and privacy. While I have visited and spent minimal time in both locations on business, I am curious how living in either city compares.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Last edited by Toto_Schillaci; 01-21-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
So you really think you are going to get an unbiased answer on here! OK, well then you need look no farther than Dallas!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,134 times
You just opened a Pandora's box. Be prepared for lots of biased comments from both sides. This Dallas v. Houston comparison comes up all the time and sometimes things get a bit nasty. I've lived in both cities, and they each have an abundance of the things you are seeking. I really don't want to start another pi**ing match between the most vociferous critics of either city, but I will tell you the two things that make a difference to me when comparing Dallas and Houston:

1) Dallas has zoning and Houston does not. That makes a huge difference in the appearance of the cities. IMO, Dallas is a much better looking city because of this. Houston does have some beautiful areas, but much of it is just butt ugly because of the haphazard way in which the city developed. In my defense, I've seen many comments on the Houston forum agreeing with that assessment.

2) Another major negative factor for me is that Houston has extremely high humidity. Dallas can too sometimes, but it's pretty much the norm in Houston. I suppose that is in large part due to the fact that Houston is so close to the Gulf. That proximity is something that most people would put in the plus column.

Aside from those two things, I think that Dallas and Houston have a lot in common.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Neither

I'd pick Fort Worth

Old 01-24-2010, 01:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
IMO, Dallas is a much better looking city because of this. Houston does have some beautiful areas, but much of it is just butt ugly because of the haphazard way in which the city developed. In my defense, I've seen many comments on the Houston forum agreeing with that assessment.
I'm not disagreeing with you but let's not split hairs, Dallas has its share of butt ugly parts too. Sure they did an awesome job on North Central Expwy and areas close to the CBD but other than that, Dallas ain't all that! The junk area just east of downtown coming into town off 45 is hardly beautiful.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Let's not forget the "butt ugly" areas of Houston are often times covered up by Houston's huge tree coverage. Much greener than Dallas because of more moderate temperatures and higher amounts of rainfall.

The thing that gets me about the "no zoning" complaints is that it's not completely true. To make up for the lack of formal land zoning, Houston has many city ordinances, and most neighborhoods have deed restrictions and/or HOAs. These are in fact a form of zoning. Also, I honestly think if it were a more media-loved city such as Austin that had no zoning, it would be touted as part of being weird and quirky. But since it's Houston, it's used as a negative, especially by people from Dallas.

Houston is more coastal. Access to the Bay and Galveston Island.

Culture/dining etc. will be similar.

But for someone coming from out of state, I think there will be more similarities than differences.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
I've lived in both. Dallas before there was a DFW and Houston before the streets had curbs, until the Sam Houston Pkwy became a major thrufare, then back to Dallas to see the west's first lesbian sheriff.

The two are - just - not - comparable. They are more alike than different.

You may as well want to compare Paris and London. In one, french is the method of communication. The other, they speak some bastard form of english.

One is flat and laid out squarely. The other has hills (recognized as hills in Texas) and no direct route to get from one place to another. Both have seen snow and both can get hot. One experiences more humidity than the other. Other than that, most differences are superficial and simply define a preference.

As far as a part of Texas, Houston has a more defined participation in Texas independence, the area between Houston and San Antonio being directly involved. Dallas relates more to the growth of Texas commerce, particularly with Fort Worth - Cow town, next door.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Let's not forget the "butt ugly" areas of Houston are often times covered up by Houston's huge tree coverage. Much greener than Dallas because of more moderate temperatures and higher amounts of rainfall.
True

Houston is a lot greener than Dallas which has sparsely placed vegetation with "patches" of green here & there. The area is classified as gently rolling prairie grassland. Look it up.

Quote:
The thing that gets me about the "no zoning" complaints is that it's not completely true. To make up for the lack of formal land zoning, Houston has many city ordinances, and most neighborhoods have deed restrictions and/or HOAs. These are in fact a form of zoning. Also, I honestly think if it were a more media-loved city such as Austin that had no zoning, it would be touted as part of being weird and quirky. But since it's Houston, it's used as a negative, especially by people from Dallas.
True

No zoning laws do make Houston a more quirky & artsy city than Austin, but the media & Austin lovers would have you thinking otherwise.

Quote:
Houston is more coastal. Access to the Bay and Galveston Island.
Dallas isn't coastal at all & I laugh every time I see a palm tree planted up there. As a matter of fact, its a good 300 miles from the ocean. Houston's tropical vegetation thrives on the humidity down there.

Quote:
Culture/dining etc. will be similar.
Similar, but not quite. Houston has MUCH better seafood because its right near the Gulf where its caught the same day & better Cajun food because its closer to Louisiana.

Quote:
But for someone coming from out of state, I think there will be more similarities than differences.
Minus whats stated above, yes. Though one will definitely notice a stronger international presence a lot more in Houston than in Dallas. Its all around you in Houston where in Dallas culture is found way out in the suburbs.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Good luck finding any kind unbaised answer.

I agree with AK123. You will find more similarities than differences.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM

101 posts, read 289,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you but let's not split hairs, Dallas has its share of butt ugly parts too. Sure they did an awesome job on North Central Expwy and areas close to the CBD but other than that, Dallas ain't all that! The junk area just east of downtown coming into town off 45 is hardly beautiful.
Houston to me by a long shot. I have been on this forum for about a month trying to decide which one to live in. We visited last week to both and I;m sorry Dallas but Houston takes the cake. Even coming into Dallas from Houston you see slums and bad parts. I didn't come into HOuston and see much of anything bad. I know both have hoods but I at least didn't see it off the freeway. Also the suburbs look better to me in Houston and the housing makes since. Dallas housing is sort of off. Why would you put a little house directly next to and in front of a huge house. Just things in Dallas don't make sense. I think the suburbs look way better in Houston to me. Dallas however for me had the stronger economy at least in my field so I had to chose Dallas, however opportunity strikes I am going to straight to Houston. It's just something about the enviroment there that just feels right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas