U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 13,823,214 times
Reputation: 2450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then don't go into these places, GMOH.

Typical Texas Arrogance? Now why did I exepect THAT one to come up too? *checks timer again* THL...do you have your watch on as well...?

That seems to be your basic argument, but it just doesn't hold up.

The law is certainly not on your side.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,904,246 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Actually, other states have already upheld assault charges for secondhand smoke.

I don't believe it's been challenged yet in Texas, but it's coming.
Then more's the pity of "other states". I hope Texas resists such insanity. What "other states" do is a weak defense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 13,823,214 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then more's the pity of "other states". I hope Texas resists such insanity. What "other states" do is a weak defense.

Actually, what other states do is very relevant when it comes to passing laws.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,050,171 times
Reputation: 24358
Actually, it's not. Now, I know that California wants to think that it should write the laws for the rest of the states, but that's not the way it works, not the way the country was set up in the first place, and it SURE isn't the way it works here.

Your argument here is akin to, "But, MOM, everybody ELSE is jumping off a cliff! Why can't I?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,608,362 times
Reputation: 7667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then don't go into these dangerous places, HtLove.
you know very well a bar is not dangerous

you can get punched in there, but have the person charged, you can get shot, but have the person charged.

because it is a bar doesn't mean it is above the law. law breakers on the street or in a bar are no different so assaulting someone with smoke is not beyond the law just because it is in a bar
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,904,246 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That seems to be your basic argument, but it just doesn't hold up.

The law is certainly not on your side.
You keep repeating this...but provide nothing to back it up ala' the TPC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,608,362 times
Reputation: 7667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You keep repeating this...but provide nothing to back it up ala' the TPC.
isn't this whole discussion about the law being on our side? why would you spend so much time arguing about Government intrusion if the law was not on our side?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 13,823,214 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, it's not. Now, I know that California wants to think that it should write the laws for the rest of the states, but that's not the way it works, not the way the country was set up in the first place, and it SURE isn't the way it works here.

Your argument here is akin to, "But, MOM, everybody ELSE is jumping off a cliff! Why can't I?"

Who said anything about California? You prejudice is showing.

The first cases I found are from Georgia and Ohio.

And yes, what other states do is extremely relevant to how a court might rule in Texas. Despite your apparent desires, Texas does not operate in a vacuum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 13,823,214 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You keep repeating this...but provide nothing to back it up ala' the TPC.

What does the TPC have to do with "if you don't like it, don't go in there"?

Nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,904,246 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you know very well a bar is not dangerous

you can get punched in there, but have the person charged, you can get shot, but have the person charged.

because it is a bar doesn't mean it is above the law. law breakers on the street or in a bar are no different so assaulting someone with smoke is not beyond the law just because it is in a bar
Point is, HTLove, assault -- whether a punch in the face or provotive behavior such as blowing smoke in someones face -- is a criminal offense. On the other hand, smoking per se, is not. Thus, a person who enters a bar/restaurant/bowling alley/Bingo Hall/ etc, is not subjected to assault for the very simple reason they knew ahead of time smoking was allowed. C'mon HT...you know that...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top