U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,608,362 times
Reputation: 7666

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
When did I say they (bars/restaurants) are dangerous places? Can you provide that post of mine you refer to?
right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then don't go into these dangerous places, HtLove.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You are completely missing the very first provision.

Causing bodily injury.

You could easily bring an assault claim based on that.
Sure, and I could bring an assault case based on I had an asthema attack because someone wore too much perfume.

Whatever *yawns* Bring that assault case on. And see if it makes it past the DA's secretary and/or para-legal before they busted out laughing.

Anyway, I gotta go to work tomorow, so don't have time to keep this up all night. We can let the record stand as to which side made the better case. Agreed? We can talk again later...a Texas size chicken fried steak awaits (I am wondering if an assault may have been committed by the restaurant owner who sold that fatty monster...they might cause a heart-attack! Yikes!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-06-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
right here:
LOL OK, superficially you are right. But it ought to have been quite obvious I was being very facitious in order to make a point, right?

Now then, I gotta enter an ever more dangerous place. My own kitchen where unhealthy fried Texas/Southern foods are the rule on Sunday evenings! Be afraid...be very afraid...

G'night y'all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,783 posts, read 43,741,253 times
Reputation: 9387
The trend is clear that Texas will soon be a smoke free state. Every large city in Texas but two has already passed no smoking laws. 70 percent of the people poled are in favor of a state wide ban and that sentiment cuts across all party lines. 72 percent of the largest cities in the United States have already passed no smoking laws.

Quote:
Sentiment for smoke-free indoor work and public places appears to cut across party lines. A ban was supported by 67 percent of Republicans, 69 percent of independents and 74 percent of Democrats who participated in the poll. Of those that identify with the Tea Party, 54 percent favored the idea.
Read more: Poll: Most Texans want statewide smoking ban | Houston Business Journal
Exposure to secondhand smoke kills 53,000 non-smoking Americans annually and is a known cause of lung cancer, heart disease, premature birth and low birth weight and other health problems.

Citizens have a right to enter any public business and expect it to be safe for them to do so. Employees have a right to a safe work place. There is not right to smoke when doing so endangers other peoples health.

No smokers are being harmed by these laws. There is no right to smoke. It has simply been tolerated because it was such a common practice before the evidence became clear that it kills 440,000 people a year. Now that we know better it is being phased out. As it should be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Reputation: 24358
CptnRn, I'm sorry, but you made it quite clear in an earlier post that you're all about imposing your will on smokers and not allowing any compromise whatsoever.

So forgive me if I don't take you particularly seriously from a "it's for the public good" perspective. This is NOT about charts and statistics and those things you so love, this is about people and their rights and the very things this country is built on.

Now, I'll take you seriously as a threat to all of those things. Things that I consider to be very important for my children and my grandchildren and my great grandchildren to have, things that I will work to protect against those who would turn this into a Nanny Country, not just Nanny State.

Perhaps it's because I can remember when freedom actually meant something, and when it was something to work for for those who didn't already have it, and to protect for those who have it. What the heck happened to this country?

Disgusting. Just disgusting, and so much more dangerous than cigarettes will EVER be. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 2,300,968 times
Reputation: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
CptnRn, I'm sorry, but you made it quite clear in an earlier post that you're all about imposing your will on smokers and not allowing any compromise whatsoever.

So forgive me if I don't take you particularly seriously from a "it's for the public good" perspective. This is NOT about charts and statistics and those things you so love, this is about people and their rights and the very things this country is built on.


Now, I'll take you seriously as a threat to all of those things. Things that I consider to be very important for my children and my grandchildren and my great grandchildren to have, things that I will work to protect against those who would turn this into a Nanny Country, not just Nanny State.

Perhaps it's because I can remember when freedom actually meant something, and when it was something to work for for those who didn't already have it, and to protect for those who have it. What the heck happened to this country?

Disgusting. Just disgusting, and so much more dangerous than cigarettes will EVER be. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

So just to be clear, you are 100% in favor of decriminalizing crack, cocaine, heroine, meth, marijuana, hallucinogens, and all other illegal drugs and allowing these drugs to be used in public, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Reputation: 24358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
So just to be clear, you are 100% in favor of decriminalizing crack, cocaine, heroine, meth, marijuana, hallucinogens, and all other illegal drugs and allowing these drugs to be used in public, right?
In the same vein as your predictable argument above:

Lots of people say that humans are not designed to drink cow's milk, that it has very bad health effects for them. So, let's put in place a ban on cow's milk (heck, anything but human milk, really, by that rationale) and any products that contain it.

You're on board with that, right? Might as well be, because I can see it coming down the pike once the Carrie Nations of the world run out of other things to ban.

You didn't think it would stop with just things that YOU don't like, did you? Are you truly that naive and/or self-centered?

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 02-07-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 2,300,968 times
Reputation: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In the same vein as your predictable argument above:

Lots of people say that humans are not designed to drink cow's milk, that it has very bad health effects for them. So, let's put in place a ban on cow's milk (heck, anything but human milk, really, by that rationale) and any products that contain it.

You're on board with that, right? Might as well be, because I can see it coming down the pike once the Carrie Nations of the world run out of other things to ban.

You didn't think it would stop with just things that YOU don't like, did you? Are you truly that naive and/or self-centered?
You're really, really reaching here. Come back at me when thousands of people are dying annually from drinking milk and you might deserve a serious response. Right now the consensus is that it's pretty healthy for you. Furthermore, and why your comparison really holds no water, is that even if drinking milk were actually bad for you, it wouldn't matter. It certainly wouldn't interfere with the health of those around you -- which is the crux of the entire smoking debate! You may think it's selfish for nonsmokers to want to be able to go about in public and breathe clean air, but I find that it's the smokers who are selfish for putting their nicotine jones ahead of the safety of those around them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Reputation: 24358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
You're really, really reaching here. Come back at me when thousands of people are dying annually from drinking milk and you might deserve a serious response. Right now the consensus is that it's pretty healthy for you. Furthermore, and why your comparison really holds no water, is that even if drinking milk were actually bad for you, it wouldn't matter. It certainly wouldn't interfere with the health of those around you -- which is the crux of the entire smoking debate! You may think it's selfish for nonsmokers to want to be able to go about in public and breathe clean air, but I find that it's the smokers who are selfish for putting their nicotine jones ahead of the safety of those around them.
And not all that long ago the consensus was that smoking was "pretty healthy for you". As I said earlier in this thread, doctors recommended it because scientific evidence showed that it was.

Again, if you think that the scenario I mentioned is all that far-fetched, you're either naive or so self-centered that you think that ONLY those rights that you object to will ever be targeted, and yours would NEVER be.

History shows otherwise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 29,608,362 times
Reputation: 7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL OK, superficially you are right. But it ought to have been quite obvious I was being very facitious in order to make a point, right?

Now then, I gotta enter an ever more dangerous place. My own kitchen where unhealthy fried Texas/Southern foods are the rule on Sunday evenings! Be afraid...be very afraid...

G'night y'all!
doesn't matter if you were being facetious or not, you said it

lol, just as long as you don't start lasing that fried chicken with arsenic then start selling to the public you will be fine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top