U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,852,533 times
Reputation: 5780

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'd like to think that constantly being exposed to deadly carcinogens goes a little beyond being "inconvenienced," my friend.
If you choose to patronize a place which permits smoking, then it is you who placed yourself in the catagory of being "inconvenienced, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-03-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,852,533 times
Reputation: 5780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Exactly...I think they should have to take care of someone like me the next time I get sick because of their so called inconvenience...
'

Why would you choose to enter them to begin with? I think you should have to take care of yourself because of your own free-choice to enter a place you knew ahead of time was potentially risky.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,888,214 times
Reputation: 6848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And your problem with having smoking venues for smokers THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO ENTER AND IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE DOOR THAT SMOKING IS GOING ON is a problem to you how, exactly, Lindsey? Is it that other people smoking not in your presence in a building that you will never enter somehow causes your illness? Can you explain the medical science behind that? I'd find it fascinating.
lol, I never said I have a problem with that.
I don't frequent bars, it doesn't bother me at all if people smoke there. In fact I think its a bit over the top to not allow people to smoke in bars, its part of the culture and I agree I don't think its fair to impact a person's business to that degree. If you don't like smoke then why would you go to a bar...

My comment about you stems from your inaccurate assumption that my objection to smoking is about me trying to control people rather then the obvious health problems that stem from breathing second hand smoke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,806 posts, read 39,868,675 times
Reputation: 24326
But, TexasReb, that would require someone to take personal responsibility! Apparently that's passe these days. More's the pity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,806 posts, read 39,868,675 times
Reputation: 24326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
lol, I never said I have a problem with that.
I don't frequent bars, it doesn't bother me at all if people smoke there. In fact I think its a bit over the top to not allow people to smoke in bars, its part of the culture and I agree I don't think its fair to impact a person's business to that degree. If you don't like smoke then why would you go to a bar...

My comment about you stems from your inaccurate assumption that my objection to smoking is about me trying to control people rather then the obvious health problems that stem from breathing second hand smoke.
Forgive the confusion. You respond to a post of mine, the only post of mine on this thread, with how clueless I am, when the entire post is about a compromise that would allow smokers to have venues where they smoke where nonsmokers (or those who didn't care for smoking - there's lots of nonsmokers who just don't care, it's not an issue for them) would not have to enter and would have fair notice before going there and plenty of alternative options, and how certain nonsmokers blew their cover by objecting strenuously to the very idea of someone smoking somewhere that they weren't ever going to be, with a post about how clueless I am. That would seem to indicate that your issue was with what I said in that post. It seems like you reacted quite strongly to something that, if what you say about yourself is true, wouldn't apply to you, now, would it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,721 posts, read 12,466,260 times
Reputation: 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Exactly...I think they should have to take care of someone like me the next time I get sick because of their so called inconvenience...
Not "their" so called innconvenience, but yours and my own so called inconvenience. I was referring to the inconvenience of the non smoker to go, for instance, to someplace smoke free to enjoy a meal out. I do not have a right not to be inconvenienced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,888,214 times
Reputation: 6848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Forgive the confusion. You respond to a post of mine, the only post of mine on this thread, with how clueless I am, when the entire post is about a compromise that would allow smokers to have venues where they smoke where nonsmokers (or those who didn't care for smoking - there's lots of nonsmokers who just don't care, it's not an issue for them) would not have to enter and would have fair notice before going there and plenty of alternative options, and how certain nonsmokers blew their cover by objecting strenuously to the very idea of someone smoking somewhere that they weren't ever going to be, with a post about how clueless I am. That would seem to indicate that your issue was with what I said in that post. It seems like you reacted quite strongly to something that, if what you say about yourself is true, wouldn't apply to you, now, would it?
I reacted strongly because your assertion that non smokers just want to control smokers and force them to choose the kind of life that we do. That's a completely unsupportable assertion and could only be made by someone who is clueless...sorry that was not obvious but that is a YOU thing not a ME thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,852,533 times
Reputation: 5780
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But, TexasReb, that would require someone to take personal responsibility! Apparently that's passe these days. More's the pity.
Yeah, that's true, THL. I am glad you caught me on that gaffe. I don't know whatever posessed me to toss that one out as a realistic option...

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-03-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,806 posts, read 39,868,675 times
Reputation: 24326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I reacted strongly because your assertion that non smokers just want to control smokers and force them to choose the kind of life that we do. That's a completely unsupportable assertion and could only be made by someone who is clueless...sorry that was not obvious but that is a YOU thing not a ME thing.

Lindsey, again, from the post you responded to:

But, no. Nonsmokers simply absolutely could not STAND that someone might be allowed to smoke somewhere, even if they weren't going to be exposed to it, and threw such a hissy fit for so long that the ordinance was changed.

At that point, nonsmokers (and I don't smoke - tried it 40 years ago and it doesn't agree with me) who say that it's only because THEY don't want to be exposed to cigarette smoke blew their cover and lost ALL credibility with me. It's clearly really about controlling what other people do because you can't bear that someone might make a different life choice than you. And that flies in the face of everything that this country, and Texas, were founded on.


Again, if you read carefully and with comprehension, the nonsmokers referred to were the very ones who threw the hissy fit because of the compromise that was crafted in Austin that would allow smokers to have their own venues and nonsmokers to have multitudes MORE venues where smoking was not allowed.

So either you weren't reading the post carefully, or you were reacting to something that you say doesn't apply to you but most definitely did apply to the smokers in question who threw said hissy fit.

Little sensitive on this issue, are you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,888,214 times
Reputation: 6848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Lindsey, again, from the post you responded to:

But, no. Nonsmokers simply absolutely could not STAND that someone might be allowed to smoke somewhere, even if they weren't going to be exposed to it, and threw such a hissy fit for so long that the ordinance was changed.

At that point, nonsmokers (and I don't smoke - tried it 40 years ago and it doesn't agree with me) who say that it's only because THEY don't want to be exposed to cigarette smoke blew their cover and lost ALL credibility with me. It's clearly really about controlling what other people do because you can't bear that someone might make a different life choice than you. And that flies in the face of everything that this country, and Texas, were founded on.


Again, if you read carefully and with comprehension, the nonsmokers referred to were the very ones who threw the hissy fit because of the compromise that was crafted in Austin that would allow smokers to have their own venues and nonsmokers to have multitudes MORE venues where smoking was not allowed.

So either you weren't reading the post carefully, or you were reacting to something that you say doesn't apply to you but most definitely did apply to the smokers in question who threw said hissy fit.

Little sensitive on this issue, are you?
Is it me that is sensitive on this topic or is it YOU who is just like this...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top