Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is pretty much how Midland's ordinance was set up, except it applies to all public places, not just bars. It may have changed since I left, but this was the new ordinance that was set up around 3 years ago.

It's a good balance.

Business owners have 3 choices:

1. Allow smoking anywhere in the establishment; there are no non-smoking areas.

2. Allow smoking only in designated areas. BUT.....the non-smoking and the smoking areas have to have completely separate ventilation systems, with no possible way for smoke to get into the non-smoking areas. This is a very expensive option, so very few businesses took this one.

3. Allow no smoking at all anywhere in the establishment.

MOST businesses and restaurants (except the bars) chose option 3. But the point is.....they had a CHOICE.

FWIW: I am an ex-smoker going on 32 years.

Yeah, that seems fair. I would accept that kind of a compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
they are not anti smoking. They are just anti dying of cancer and spiting up tar and having bloody lungs.
So what? Not all smokers have health problems from smoking. It is their body, let them decide what to do with it. Why do you care what they do amongst themselves?

Are you saying it should be up to you to decide whether or not they smoke?

What if I am anti-fat and dying of diabetes and heart disease? Does that make it OK for me to tell you how much and what to eat?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This is America. {well, it used to be}

If a bar or restaurant owner wants to allow smoking in his establishment, he should be allowed to.

If the owner is OK with smoking, the employees are OK with smoking and the patrons are OK with smoking.......why should it be anyone else's business? You don't have to work there and you don't have to eat or drink there.

Please tell me why anti-smoker's have a problem with this.
I wonder that, myself.

Only answer I can come up with is that it has nothing to do with the effects of smoking on them, personally, and everything to do with thinking that anyone who makes choices other than the ones they would make must need a nanny.

And, yes, I agree with you about the "it used to be". That we're even having this discussion makes that abundantly clear.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
So what? Not all smokers have health problems from smoking. It is their body, let them decide what to do with it. Why do you care what they do amongst themselves?

What if I am anti-fat and dying of diabetes and heart disease? Does that make it OK for me to tell you how much and what to eat?

Again, for the umpteenth time, nobody cares what somebody chooses to do to their own body and health. Smoke all you want in your own privacy. I don't want tobacco outlawed. We (and by we, the majority of society) don't want that stuff in our lungs killing us when we choose not to smoke. We don't want our kids breathing in your toxins.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I wonder that, myself.

Only answer I can come up with is that it has nothing to do with the effects of smoking on them, personally, and everything to do with thinking that anyone who makes choices other than the ones they would make must need a nanny.

And, yes, I agree with you about the "it used to be". That we're even having this discussion makes that abundantly clear.
It is very sad that so many Americans jump at the chance of taking away choice instead of providing options.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:

who said anything about themselves? Everyone is talking about in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Again, for the umpteenth time, nobody cares what somebody chooses to do to their own body and health. Smoke all you want in your own privacy. I don't want tobacco outlawed. We (and by we, the majority of society) don't want that stuff in our lungs killing us when we choose not to smoke. We don't want our kids breathing in your toxins.
lol, she must have missed the previous pages. LOl I dunno why she would think we cared if people wanted to kill themselves smoking

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It is very sad that so many Americans jump at the chance of taking away choice instead of providing options.
Agreed. And they don't even see themselves for what they are. Because they're "right".

Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
We (as smokers) don't have the right to impose our bad habits on others, and second-hand smoke does that. I'm all for smoker's rights and the rights of businesses to operate a smoking establishment, but I will never blow my smoke around in a non-smokers face. They shouldn't have to put up with that at all.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Look, some of my posts were hastily made, and I'm really not as anti-smoking as some of them may sound. I don't like the habit at all, but I've known plenty of smokers in my life, and I'm not trying to shove them permanetly into a closet.

I think the best compromise and solution in this entire thread, in my opinion, is the Midland solution from the last page. Seems like a way where there are options, everyone can win, and you can vote with your dollars. This is probably my last post in this debate.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM

I agree, that's the best option, and that's what Austin had, pretty much (with the addition of permit fees and requirements for smoking establishments). But a small group of citizens made enough noise because they just couldn't stand smokers having options and got it changed.

If we could have THAT across the state, I wouldn't be frothing at the mouth. Because that's an example of the best kind of solution, one that is representative of what our country stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas