Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

I agree Austin's "liberalness" is over-stated.

But really - has Houston or Dallas done anything material on its own to clean up its air? Has it tried to institute its own living wage? Has it tried to ban Happy Meals? Would Houston oppose Shell or Exxon on anything meaningful?

Local hate crime legislation? Both Houston and Dallas were late to the smoking ban party. Do either of these cities try to tell you what lawn grass you can grow? Do they try to prevent Walmart from opening a new store? Does Houston do anything to limit the growth of strip malls?

Austin has a strong live and let live attitude. There are a few in your face liberals, but otherwise no one cares who you are or what you do.

To be clear, I am not a liberal. I object to many things liberal cities try to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM

228 posts, read 537,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sorry - but that really doesn't make Houston liberal in my view. Liberal is about policies, not a single elected official or demographic concentration. The mayor election is a significant event, but what has Houston done in terms of policies, regulations, etc. that might be truly considered liberal?

Keep in mind I don't think Austin is particularly liberal.
Exactly. It seems Houston/DFW boosters equate city-wide ethnic diversity--despite the incredible amount of segregation of said diversity in these cities--to "liberal."

I believe it has more to do with policy and mindset; i.e., a politically liberal city is "liberal."

Some of the most liberal places in the country aren't diverse at all. Places like Portland, OR or most of the state of Massachusetts are much less diverse than Austin or Dallas or Houston, yet these places are considered politically liberal by most standards. I would argue that Austin's "liberal" vibe is a subdued version of what exists in these places.

Given that Travis County as a whole votes more heavily Democratic than any of the other major Texas counties and that Austin has a history of regulations and policies more in-line with a "liberal" city, I absolutely think it is at least as liberal as Dallas or Houston, but probably moreso. Do I think it is liberal compared to cities like SF? Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
However, I do believe Houston is more liberal than Austin. Why?? because Houston has this whole laid-back, live your life attitude that isn't that prominent in Austin.
I'd say this attitude is present in both cities and frankly in all major Texas cities. Certainly to say Austin doesn't have a very prominent "laid-back," live-and-let-live sort of vibe is a gross mischaracterization on your part.

If anything, statements like this reflect a sense of desperation to portray Houston as liberal relative to Austin. I'm not sure who's buying this kind of nonsense...

Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:

But really - has Houston or Dallas done anything material on its own to clean up its air? Has it tried to institute its own living wage? Has it tried to ban Happy Meals? Would Houston oppose Shell or Exxon on anything meaningful?

Local hate crime legislation? Both Houston and Dallas were late to the smoking ban party. Do either of these cities try to tell you what lawn grass you can grow? Do they try to prevent Walmart from opening a new store? Does Houston do anything to limit the growth of strip malls?
100% Correct. You look at the more activist things like the tree cutting ordinances, 3-ft bicycle rule, texting/driving ban, McMansion ordinances, SOS environmental legislation, anti-Iraq war resolutions, boycotting of Arizona, voting against gay marriage ban, etc. As far as the "green" stuff, there is a bit there -- like the highest per capita use of public transportation in TX, best bicycle infrastructure, city leasing 200 smart cars, hundreds of new electric vehicle charging stations being installed, and the requirement that you get an energy audit to be able to sell your house in Austin.

Dallas and Houston don't really have any socially liberal record to point to... electing openly gay candidates is something, but what if they were just the best candidates? Then we'd really be in trouble if those cities didn't elect them simply for that reason. And diversity does not equal social liberalism, not by a longshot. Monority populations tend to be conservative, religious, anti-gay marriage.

However, I'll just echo the previous comments that Austin's liberalness is overhyped... it's only liberal relative to Texas. Compared to the rest of the nation, it's more libertarian than liberal.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:

Austin has a strong live and let live attitude. There are a few in your face liberals, but otherwise no one cares who you are or what you do.

To be clear, I am not a liberal. I object to many things liberal cities try to do.
You do realize that Houston is the largest city in the country with no zoning right? It has many city ordinances that mimic some zoning laws, but the no zoning in Houston definitely gives off that "live and let live attitude". Telling someone what lawn grass to grow or preventing Walmart from opening up a store doesn't sound very liberal, tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
100% Correct. You look at the more activist things like the tree cutting ordinances, 3-ft bicycle rule, texting/driving ban, McMansion ordinances, SOS environmental legislation, anti-Iraq war resolutions, boycotting of Arizona, voting against gay marriage ban, etc. As far as the "green" stuff, there is a bit there -- like the highest per capita use of public transportation in TX, best bicycle infrastructure, city leasing 200 smart cars, hundreds of new electric vehicle charging stations being installed, and the requirement that you get an energy audit to be able to sell your house in Austin.
The things you are saying are really not unique to Austin. For example, did Austin have protests for Egypt? I know Houston did. Highest per capita use of public transportation in Texas? Yeah right, and I wonder how much of that is because of students. Almost Houston's entire city fleet of cars are electric. And Houston is constructing almost 200 vehicle electric charging stations and is the fourth largest purchaser of green power in the nation (including states and cities).

Quote:
Dallas and Houston don't really have any socially liberal record to point to... electing openly gay candidates is something, but what if they were just the best candidates? Then we'd really be in trouble if those cities didn't elect them simply for that reason. And diversity does not equal social liberalism, not by a longshot. Monority populations tend to be conservative, religious, anti-gay marriage.

However, I'll just echo the previous comments that Austin's liberalness is overhyped... it's only liberal relative to Texas. Compared to the rest of the nation, it's more libertarian than liberal.
Houston and Dallas don't have any socially liberal record? So, Houston's Montrose and things like the Art Car Parade (something Austin liked so much they copied) aren't areas of social liberalism? You guys should probably get out of the Austin bubble.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Here's an easy and totally obvious one--Houston. Now, I would have to think hard to find a city less environmentally friendly than that.
I disagree.... only if you are thinking about the places east of Houston with the refineries.... But when looking at things like new "green" construction and buildings, city purchases of "green" energy, electronic car fleets, Houston is toward the top on all that.
Welcome to Green Houston! The Official Website of the City of Houston?s Environmental Council?s Office of Environmental Programming

Quote:
But really - has Houston or Dallas done anything material on its own to clean up its air?
I remember reading the last mayor of Houston was trying to shut down or control pollution with the refineries east of town. But he couldn't because it was all out of his jurisdiction. Goes back to what I said above.... the pollution-causing areas are the little cities or areas to the east of Houston that Houston cannot control.

Not that I think Houston is liberal. Nor Dallas. Nor Austin for that matter. Texas is much more libertarian.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There are 3 other major metropolises in Texas (each with its own gifts), but it seems that on this forum, they are always inquiring about Austin? why is that?
A lot of people from CA leave to get away from all the minorities. Austin is the whitest of the major metros in TX

just saying

Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I disagree.... only if you are thinking about the places east of Houston with the refineries.... But when looking at things like new "green" construction and buildings, city purchases of "green" energy, electronic car fleets, Houston is toward the top on all that.
Welcome to Green Houston! The Official Website of the City of Houston?s Environmental Council?s Office of Environmental Programming
Oh yeah, no big deal...Houston is "green" besides being one of the most sprawling, car-dependent metros in the country and besides the, literally, hundreds of refineries and plants grossly polluting the ship channel and the air. Don't get me wrong--as a chemical engineer, I realize the economic importance of these facilities, and find them spectacular in their own right--but I am also very well aware of the adverse affects these facilities have on their surroundings.

A few hundred electric cars and some LEED-certified buildings aren't gonna offset Houston's pollution problems. Yep, still can't think of a city more environmentally UNfriendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713
You do realize that Houston is the largest city in the country with no zoning right? It has many city ordinances that mimic some zoning laws, but the no zoning in Houston definitely gives off that "live and let live attitude". Telling someone what lawn grass to grow or preventing Walmart from opening up a store doesn't sound very liberal, tbh.
You do realize what the core dogma of liberal politics is, right? Big government--regulations, taxes, programs intended to benefit the common good, etc. (I'm not dogging liberals since I am one by most definitions).

Keeping big bad Wal-Mart out of town and regulating design codes and shopping bags and all sorts of other "petty" things absolutely embodies the liberal mindset. These are the very things that people generally point to when they say SF is "liberal."

Now, Scarface, you're making a great case for Houston being the most Libertarian city in the country, but certainly not a liberal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713
Almost Houston's entire city fleet of cars are electric. And Houston is constructing almost 200 vehicle electric charging stations and is the fourth largest purchaser of green power in the nation (including states and cities).
There you go again with all the things Houston is doing to "go green." I wish Houston the best with that. It's gonna take an awful lot of electric cars and LEED buildings and renewable power to offset the kind of wholesale destruction your city continues to unleash on the environment.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
A lot of people from CA leave to get away from all the minorities. Austin is the whitest of the major metros in TX

just saying
Austin may be the "whitest" (by a relatively narrow margin--DFW is 51% white) but it's far from being "white."

For the MSA:

White 56%
Hispanic 31%
Black 7%
Asian 5%

Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post

just saying
Is that what they tell you? Coming from there myself, I would say that what you call "fear of minorities" is described more like the problems that stem from the illegals and the gangbangers (south central LA, North long Bch & such). No matter what texans may say, the illegals problem is nothing like what is seen over there. I think that socal would be a much happier and less crowded place without the illegals and their anchor kids.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Oh yeah, no big deal...Houston is "green" besides being one of the most sprawling, car-dependent metros in the country and besides the, literally, hundreds of refineries and plants grossly polluting the ship channel and the air. Don't get me wrong--as a chemical engineer, I realize the economic importance of these facilities, and find them spectacular in their own right--but I am also very well aware of the adverse affects these facilities have on their surroundings.
1. Most major metros, especially those in the northeast, are extremely sprawling. Much more so than anything in Texas.
2. And Austin is so much less car-dependant, how?
3. Like I thought, you're focused on the refineries east of Houston. How is City of Houston supposed to control something in Baytown or Channelview's jurisdiction, or something in unincorporated county area? Do you not remember reading of Houston's last mayor trying that?

Not that I'm defending pollution, but your statements are not totally informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas