Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
I think that is good analysis. It is absolutely a very cool city, but is overhyped.

Like any town, it does have its problems. Ironically, one if its problems is being laid back and simultaneously exclusionary. But that will probably be toned down as the city matures.
overhyped to the nth degree and Austonians believe in the hype and tend to look down on other Texas cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,893,911 times
I think perhaps Houston and Dallas need to spend more time working on their less-than-desirable reputations, rather than worry about how Austin handles its own.

The superbowl in DFW, unfortunately, was a case in point. They got handed a tough situation with the weather, but couldn't come back with anything positive about the city or organizational efforts to offset the bad. Perhaps it's just the distributed nature of the Metroplex, such that the SB was really in Arlington, and events were happening in different cities/jurisdictions... no one entity to really take up the cause. I could be mistaken, but that's the way it came across.

The city of Austin, UT, etc... gets the love for obvious reasons that are silly to try to argue (although we have artsyguy and eepstein to give it the old college try!). Overhyped? Sure, I'll agree with that. Are Dallas and Houston equally nice places to live? For many people, yes. But they seem perpetually unable to put a good foot forward, or fix the issues that make people consider them undesirable. Perhaps the issues can't be fixed, I don't know. But as long as people are still moving there, I guess they are doing something right.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,968,440 times
What do you mean "put a good foot forward"? Houston and DFW have increased their growth as the decade went on, while Austin has started to decline (at least with domestic migration). Austin is a cool city, but is way overhyped and the residents there like to think it's the only liberal area in Texas, which is funny.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
I never thought I would find myself doing this, but I think you guys are being way to unfair to Austin.

I personally prefer Dallas and Houston because of the diversity and the ammenities, but I happen to think Austin is still a really cool town. It produces a different vibe than the other cities and while I get the occasional sneer when I say Im from Dallas, most people there have been very friendly and I have enjoyed my visits. Downtown Austin is a lot of fun and I always enjoy myself.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What do you mean "put a good foot forward"? Houston and DFW have increased their growth as the decade went on, while Austin has started to decline (at least with domestic migration). Austin is a cool city, but is way overhyped and the residents there like to think it's the only liberal area in Texas, which is funny.
"The residents there"....25+ year resident here who doesn't think Austin is that liberal. And most of the people I know have no illusions about how liberal Austin is (or not).

For those of you here that think Dallas and Houston are liberal - please tell me why you think that might be true. Is it because both cities have Democratic mayors? Or because Houston's mayor is a lesbian?

In what way are Houston and Dallas like San Francisco or Portland?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM

228 posts, read 537,989 times
Quote:
Houston and DFW have increased their growth as the decade went on, while Austin has started to decline (at least with domestic migration).
The only thing you can really base this statement on is MSA population change from 2008 to 2009. Problem is, year-to-year fluctuations in migration aren't terribly meaningful; in some respects it's like noise against a large-scale background trend of increasing growth.

Case in point: look at the dramatic change between 2006 and 2007 for migration into Houston: in 2006 it gained nearly 92,000 by domestic migration, and then in 2007 it gained only around 19,000. Did you think Houston had started to "decline" back then?

Over a more meaningful timeframe--say, over any five year period--migration has trended upwards in Houston, and the same could be said for Austin.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "put a good foot forward"? Houston and DFW have increased
I don't know, it's stuff like this: Muller: Michael Vick Gets Key To The City Of Dallas? Unreal « CBS Chicago

In Austin, Portland, SF, etc.. the animal cruelty issue would trump the other factors. Easily. No one, not even the assistant to the assistant of the mayor pro tem, would ever think that was a good idea.

Perhaps Houston and Dallas just don't care about their image, or aren't as good at marketing as Austin. Although I thought Dallasites were known for caring about appearances... even overly so. Either way, I don't see why they should get their panties in a wad about the good rep Austin gets.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,015,869 times
Quote:
Houston and Dallas are. Austin is full of people trying to be liberals. It's forced. Houston and Dallas are more genuine.
Yeah they try way too hard & it shows.

Liberalness in Houston is just there naturally. Its not forced.

I'm sure Houston's no zoning, "Laissez faire" attitude plays a role in this.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-10-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think perhaps Houston and Dallas need to spend more time working on their less-than-desirable reputations, rather than worry about how Austin handles its own.
work on what???

Do you not see all the people coming in to those cities?

at least we are not lying and trying to act like everything is just peachy like Austin's marketing

Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
at least we are not lying and trying to act like everything is just peachy like Austin's marketing
Sigh. Do you really believe "marketing" is lying? If so, the Detroit chamber of commerce must have closets filled with flame-resistant pants.

Anyway, I don't see why Houstonians and Dallasites even care how Austin is seen by the rest of the country. It's certainly entertaining that they will fill 10 pages worth of a thread discussing Austin's rep vs. their own, but honestly I don't understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas