Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, you would be welcome in all of Texas. People are friendly here.

Interesting story - Last weekend my mom told me she met the grandmother of my nephew's wife (follow that?) The grandmother flat out told my mom "I didn't like Mexicans before, but I like y'all." We got a good laugh. Most likely the lady had never left her hometown and never experienced 'other' people until now. It's obvious she had no real malice - just never had the opportunity to experience enough to formulate her own opinions. By the way this happened in E. Tx.

So to the OP, visit Texas, and you will get your chance to experience all kinds of great things that may just change your perception!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
You can find open spaces and job opportunities in west Texas. Midland-Odessa has both, but the land is not what most people would consider "pretty" or even "inhabitable".

There is only one thing I hate about Texas. The cold. Yes, it does get cold, very very very cold, sometimes, like about two weeks ago. It just makes me sick and angry to see 20 year old palms dead because there is nothing to block arctic air from just sliding right on down to Texas. Yay.

P.S. If you are trying to avoid Hispanics, then Texas is not the right place for you. That would be like moving to Ireland to avoid Gingers.
Wow. I'm just the opposite. What I hated the most about Texas--especially Midland--was the fact that it gets so unbearably hot!! And I grew up with that!!!

Yes, it can get cold, but you are talking less than a month of truly cold weather....and this winter was unsual for just how low the temps went.

The -13 we had here (just north of El Paso) did kill some palms, along with some landscape plants. Palms are not native to Texas (with the exception of one South Texas species), and it drives me crazy to see them planted everywhere!!

They're fine as an occasional landscaping plant, taken care of by the owner, trimmed, protected from frost, etc....but when you have them all over town, everywhere...and they are not trimmed and otherwise taken care of, there is absolutely no uglier tree.

They just do not belong out of their native element.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

17 posts, read 36,545 times
Ok, on the avoiding hispanics it's not like....''I hate mexicans so I want to avoid them'' it's ''I recently took a trip to North Chicago into a Latino community and was warned to not leave the hotel at night due to crime and every hispanic I ran into acted like it was their mission in life to ruin the image of most hispanics''.

I'm not racist =) I fail at explaining myself completely. I want to avoid areas that are heavily hispanic (like, more than half) due to not wanting to feel like the only caucasian >.> AND crime riddled areas AND gang areas. I use AND so not to let the image get across that I'm saying hispanics are criminal gang members (cuz I know PEOPLE make those decisions, not races).

Also, I'm from southern Illinois lol =) Good old hick town USA >.<

Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingxmanda View Post
Ok, on the avoiding hispanics it's not like....
You're w-a-y off base in your thinking regarding Texas towns and cities with large hispanic populations. El Paso is about 80 percent hispanic, mostly of Mexican heritage. It is NOT a small enclave - but rather a city approaching a million in near future. And it is reputed to be the SECOND SAFEST CITY IN THE USA!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times
So you're talking about escaping an ignorant state by moving to Texas?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM

17 posts, read 36,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
So you're talking about escaping an ignorant state by moving to Texas?
Escaping south, Texas is just an option. And yeah, Illinois is really ignorant. I hate this state with a passion.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times
Quote:
Escaping south, Texas is just an option. And yeah, Illinois is really ignorant. I hate this state with a passion.
I'm from Illinois originally and I'd say Texas is just as bad or worse.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 AM

49 posts, read 158,598 times
I am from Europe originally, but I have spent a bit time in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Michigan. People in texas are definitely nicer and friendlier than people in the north. I have met the greatest people in Texas...and also in Mississippi.
Small towns around Dallas - Fort worth could be great for you. Look closer at Corsicana Tx - beautiful historic downtown, open spaces, outdoor recreation (big lakes are really close) There are some hispanic people, but they are middle class, and educated - def. no gangs City is diversed but mostly white. You can find a job directly in Corsicana, or you can commute to Dallas, it is no problem.
Another good place is Waxahachie.
Somebody suggested you Marfa...it is located in the most beautiful part of texas, it is really pretty small town...but mayby too small to get a good job. mayby just in tourist sector.
And I think that good economic/job situation, pretty cities, pretty landscape (palo duro canyon) is also in Amarillo area.

mayby it sounds weird, that guy from europe is trying to give you an advices, but I think that I know relatively good Texas - especially DFW area. And I would like to come back....for an english language course or mayby for the rest of my life. Texas is great and I love it more than my home state

just the last advice - you can look also at Mississippi - Vicksburg, Gulfport, Tupelo...but the economy there is much worse than the situation in texas...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
Ok, on the avoiding hispanics it's not like....''I hate mexicans so I want to avoid them'' it's ''I recently took a trip to North Chicago into a Latino community and was warned to not leave the hotel at night due to crime and every hispanic I ran into acted like it was their mission in life to ruin the image of most hispanics''.
Thats called - staying in a bad area. Happens everywhere with every race.

All i can speak of is san antonio..hate the heat, hate the water restrictions during draught, hate the traffic, hate the high number of abandoned pets dumped on the streets, hate dry/low rivers, hate the graffiti ruining buildings, hate the lack of seasons ...im sure im forgetting some.

Loved all the shopping options, loved some parts of the hill country, loved the change in scennary just from going up highway 16, loved the small town feel, loved variety of food, hmm.

Not a bad city, not my favorite and i'm glad to be elsewhere now...despite being born and raised in sa. Lifes too short...

Anyway, if youre expecting "ranch," dont expect to find them in the city.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You'll find ignorance wherever you go.

Before you move to Texas, visit first. Just drive down and take a week or two going to the different cities you're interested in. See which one feels like home to you. Make the trip in August so you see our summers at their worst and make sure it's something you can live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas