Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM

93 posts, read 271,140 times

Advertisements

I moved here (Houston) in late August of last year. I knew immediately I had made a climatic mistake. I lived in Denver prior to coming here (semi arid), and convinced myself that I would adapt to the humidity in Houston. Now as my lease is nearing its end, and temps will begin to rise soon, I have decided to leave.
I already have my CDL switched over to Texas, as well as, my
car registration. I would be much less stressful (and cost effective) to stay in Texas. I want
a medium sized city. Not a suburb of a big city, but a city standing alone.
I was looking at Amarillo on the map. Can you tell me the impressions of the
climate differences between Houston and Amarillo? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Differences are night and day, just about. Amarillo gets a lot less precipitation--almost 20 inches a year on average vs. 53 in Houston. Amarillo is more similar in climate to Denver than to Houston, though it is smaller than either, of course.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
If you're looking into Amarillo, you might also want to look into Lubbock. The summers are practically identical, but Lubbock's winters are milder. Their summers are more like Denver's than Houston's, with low 90s for highs, cool nights, and generally low humidity.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
I would describe the differences as being semi-arid Amarillo vs semi-tropical Houston. High plains Amarillo vs lowland coastal Houston. You can research climate data on this City Data web site for both locales.

START HERE FOR TEXAS DATA

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM

Well that's awesome. I have been doing some reading about Amarillo, and
also came to the conclusion that it is similar to Eastern Colorado. I don't
know about it being similar to Denver, however. Denver gets a lot of snow.
About 60 inches a year. The reason I am looking at Amarillo over Lubbock is
because in Denver I was a truck driver. I loaded freight from our dock in
Denver, and delivered it to a 60 mile radius daily. It seems to me that
Amarillo might also be a distribution center of sorts for the area. I am basing this only by what I see on the physical map, however. I welcome your thoughts on this, thanks much.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Amarillo's summer is much easier to take than Houston's. It does have real winters, though. I'd take Amarillo's climate over Houston's any day.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 PM

Thanks, Catman. Now I have to do some research on the quality of life.
I am sure there are many threads about it. I appreciate your input

Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
It seems to me that
Amarillo might also be a distribution center of sorts for the area.
I don't know this for certain, but it's my impression that Lubbock is more central than Amarillo when it comes to being a hub for distribution centers. I'm sure another trucker in the area could answer the question better. As an example: Walmart's distribution center is located in Plainview - a bit closer to Lubbock than to Amarillo.

Also Lubbock is half way between the two major east-west interstates: IH-70 and IH-20

Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM

thanks. I would have thought Lubbock is off the beaten path compared to
Amarillo. That's kind of how I was looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas