U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,383,386 times

Advertisements

I wanted to make this thread for people who are east texans or who want to visit east texas and want to find out more about this area. I decided to do this because I run into quite a few people outside of east texas who have this image of the area as one big backward backwoods country scootin tootin orgy fest. We can break it down like this,

Culture
History
Cuisine
Cities,towns
Attractions
Events
Population stats
Economy

and anything else you can think of. East Texas really should have it's own section on here. But for now we can hopefully use this thread. East Texans please represent right. Thanks

p.s. I wouldn't consider the Golden Triangle/Big Thicket area as east texas/piney woods area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,825,446 times
My dad and his mother's family live in East Texas and that side of my family has lived there from as far back as the mid to late 1800's. I live in Central Texas, but I think that East Texas/Piney Woods part of the state is one of the prettiest parts of Texas. Back during WWII the property where my Grandparents have their house and a lot of the surrounding land used to be an army training base. We had a blast as kids playing in what was left of the foxholes and finding tons of old rifle shells. I haven't dug around my grandma's china cabinet lately to see if she has still kept all the loot we would find and put in there

Doing genealogy research, I found a neat story about the area and its logging history. I'll have to try and find it again.

My grandma (92) has told us stories abt. growing up there during the depression. Her father was a country doctor in the area. His last name was Browning, so if any of you have some "old timers" around who remember those days, it might be a name to see if anyone knows. He worked around Tyler (South)/Mineola and a few other places in that general vicinity. She also remembers the day that a school there had a big explosion. I think a number of people lost their lives that day. It was pretty big news back then (this was in the 1930's).

Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 AM

10,165 posts, read 18,314,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I wanted to make this thread for people who are east texans or who want to visit east texas and want to find out more about this area. I decided to do this because I run into quite a few people outside of east texas who have this image of the area as one big backward backwoods country scootin tootin orgy fest. We can break it down like this,

Culture
History
Cuisine
Cities,towns
Attractions
Events
Population stats
Economy

and anything else you can think of. East Texas really should have it's own section on here. But for now we can hopefully use this thread. East Texans please represent right. Thanks

p.s. I wouldn't consider the Golden Triangle/Big Thicket area as east texas/piney woods area.
GREAT THREAD IDEA, Redlionjr!

I am not a native of East Texas, but we (my fiance and I, and kids as well) get over that way at least a couple of times each year (Caddo Lake/Jefferson/Marshall area in particular). I absolutely love that part of our great state. When I retire (and as a school teacher, that may be this next year thru no efforts of my own! LOL), we plan to do so in East Texas.

As you say, that is a part of Texas that simply defies the common stereotype of the state as being nothing but desert and cactus. A lot of all that misconception comes from the old "western movies" of the 40 - 60's era, which were actually filmed in Arizona and southern California.

Anyway, great idea!

*afterthought* I recall that several years ago I started a thread of which the subject was where does East Texas actually begin. Without going back to search/resurrect it (although I may do so later), I submit that might be a good starting point...?

Personally, I guess it depends on which route one take travelling east, but I always considered Greenville -- along I-30 -- to be its beginnnings (and especially so if traveling on Hwy 69 toward Tyler). On the U.S. Hwy 82, I thought east of Sherman would work. Going thru the metroplex, I always felt a change in the whole "moodscape" started to evolve into East Texas about Canton...

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

16,791 posts, read 45,088,000 times
Quote:
I wanted to make this thread for people who are east texans or who want to visit east texas and want to find out more about this area. I decided to do this because I run into quite a few people outside of east texas who have this image of the area as one big backward backwoods country scootin tootin orgy fest.
They have orgies?

I noticed the Wiki has a section on East Texas, the Piney Woods and a map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods

Quote:

Red counties show the core of East Texas; pink and red counties may or may not be included in East Texas, and thus their inclusion varies from source to source.
When I think of East Texas the Caddo Indians always come to mind. I don't think there are many of them left in East Texas. Too bad, I understand of the Texas indian tribes the Caddo were the most peaceful and willing to accommodate the european settlers moving into the area.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-27-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 PM

15,988 posts, read 32,825,304 times
I use to love going to East Tyler; we use to visit Silverleaf Resorts along the Palestine Lake. Awesome times!

East Texas for me wasn't that culturally different from parts of Central Texas.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,910,322 times
North Texas e-News

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,850,308 times
Quote:

Culture
History
Cuisine
Cities,towns
Attractions
Events
Population stats
Economy

Just curious ... why in the heck would you NOT consider the Big Thicket areas, especially the northern parcels as part of the Piney Woods? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,383,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Just curious ... why in the heck would you NOT consider the Big Thicket areas, especially the northern parcels as part of the Piney Woods? Inquiring minds want to know!
I wouldn't consider Big Thicket area as part of the Piney Woods. Because culturally it's not apart of the Piney Woods/ETX area. I never heard Big Thicket refer to as The Piney Woods area. I've always known it to be the Big Thicket area and all the cities around that area like Beamount,Port Arthur,Orange,etc. in the Golden Triangle. I'm not stating it's worlds apart from the Piney Woods because its not but when I speak about Big Thicket area i'm talking about all the surrounding areas around it. It's very much so South East Texas. Hell even labeling Conroe or Huntsville or even Corsicana as East Texas or Piney Woods is pushing it. I really only hear Houston or ppl outside of ETX consider those towns to be East Texas and that's rare. But i'm associating this more with culture.

But cities like Tyler/Longview/Marshall/Lufkin/Nacogdoches/Texarkana and all the small towns in between or close by is what I would consider East Texas/Piney Woods area. In most of these cities interact with each other since there so close together. Growing up in East Texas I didn't hear ppl associate the Piney Woods w/ areas I consider outside the Piney Woods.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,600,558 times
s
Quote:
I wouldn't consider Big Thicket area as part of the Piney Woods. Because culturally it's not apart of the Piney Woods/ETX area. I never heard Big Thicket refer to as The Piney Woods area. I've always known it to be the Big Thicket area and all the cities around that area like Beamount,Port Arthur,Orange,etc. in the Golden Triangle. I'm not stating it's worlds apart from the Piney Woods because its not but when I speak about Big Thicket area i'm talking about all the surrounding areas around it. It's very much so South East Texas. Hell even labeling Conroe or Huntsville or even Corsicana as East Texas or Piney Woods is pushing it. I really only hear Houston or ppl outside of ETX consider those towns to be East Texas and that's rare. But i'm associating this more with culture.

But cities like Tyler/Longview/Marshall/Lufkin/Nacogdoches/Texarkana and all the small towns in between or close by is what I would consider East Texas/Piney Woods area. In most of these cities interact with each other since there so close together. Growing up in East Texas I didn't hear ppl associate the Piney Woods w/ areas I consider outside the Piney Woods.
Although I cant say I completely agree with it, there is something to this ^. I do consider both the Arklatex and the Big Thicket to be sub regions of East Texas, with their own attendant subcultures. HOWEVER, there IS a difference between Huntsville/Conroe and Tyler/Longview or Beaumont/PA and Lufkin/Nacogdoches. Huntsville and areas south are much more influenced by Gulf culture and South Louisiana culture. You're much more likely to hear them talking about Gumbo and crawfish and zydeco and so forth. Plus, like he said, people from Upper East Texas tend to run in a pretty small circle that is pretty much restricted to Palestine, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Jacksonville, Nacogdoches or Lufkin. - and areas inbetween

Whereas in Southeast Texas Huntsville, Conroe, Beaumont/PA are more likely to share a common gulf coastal culture that seemingly radiates from Houston. Thats not a bad thing, but there are subtle differences between NE Texas, which a lot of people consider East Texas, and the Big Thicket. I do think geographically its hard not to consider somewhere like Huntsville, or Livingston a part of the Piney Woods. I mean, those areas are practically canvassed in pine trees. But as he said, culturally, there are a few differences that stand out between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas