Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM

228 posts, read 534,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
No, this is silly. Comparing ABIA to the 2 smaller airports in Houston and DFW. What about DFW and IAH? If you need a huge international airport, Houston and DFW are way superior to Austin.
I know it's silly. It's a sarcastic reply to a ridiculous comparison and statement by Htownlove previously in the thread (read the quote in my post). Of course there is absolutely no comparison between DFW or IAH and ABIA. I never directly argued or otherwise implied that there was a comparison between them.

I am simply debunking Htownlove's (incorrect) statement and also explaining why it is erroneous to correlate air traffic with the "lifestyle" of the citizens in the city, at least in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
[quote=feconi;18137175]As far as the "whitewashed" comment is concerned--where exactly did you get your statistics? With the rampant boosterism in this thread, not citing a source renders your statistics meaningless. [\quote]

Voila!

ZIP Code 75206, Database - DALLAS Texas TX Map, DALLAS TX, U.S. ZIP Codes
ZIP Code 75204, DALLAS TX, Database - DALLAS Texas TX Map, U.S. ZIP Codes
ZIP Code 75219, U.S. ZIP Codes, Database - DALLAS Texas TX Map, DALLAS TX

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 03-04-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
If I told you we have a Ginger Man here in downtown Austin, would it ruin the experience for you? (With the benefit, of course, that it's not in Plano.)
There's one in Murray Hill in NYC, too, for that matter. Same owner.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Wait...wait...where was TurtleCreek80 to clear up this MAJOR bit of misinformation??

BTS Transtats: Total passengers, 2010:

Austin-Bergstrom: 8.3 million
Dallas Love: 7.5 million
Houston Hobby: 8.6 million

Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't 8.3 > 7.5?

True to form, your conclusion is also totally bogus. The passenger count difference can be attributed almost entirely to the size difference between the cities and also the hub operations in Dallas and Houston.

If anything, Austin has surprisingly high passenger volume compared to other cities its size and its proximity to two major hubs.
Nice try. Are you aware that Dallas Love Field only services private planes and Southwest Airlines (and I think a few Continental routes) and that DFW is the main airport for the Dallas area?

If you are comparing air travel options in Austin vs Dallas, you would need to look at our main airport, DFW. Using your link as a reference (thanks, btw!), you will see that 49 MILLION passengers flew through DFW last year. Is 49 > 8.3? Oh yeah!

Can you fly direct to Tokyo, London, Frankfurt, Buenos Aires, Seoul, Amsterdam, etc from Austin? Didn't think so. You can't even fly direct to Cabo or the Carribean from Austin (just Cancun for the UT spring breakers).

If you'll noticed on the site you linked, Austin does not even come up on the drop down box of major airports.
RITA | BTS | Transtats

Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times
So and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There's one in Murray Hill in NYC, too, for that matter. Same owner.
Does it look like I party at places like The Ginger Man? I'm artsy guy. Remember? The only place in Austin that's half cool is Spider House. And even then I wouldn't spend a dollar there. The art venues in Dallas give back to the community: they don't take away from the community. They get their money from corporate and government grants instead of from the citizens: then they give back to the citizens! The real way to do business.

Quote:
If I told you we have a Ginger Man here in downtown Austin, would it ruin the experience for you? (With the benefit, of course, that it's not in Plano.)

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-04-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times
Everyone in Austin wears Birkenstocks, boat shoes, multi-colored collar shirts, burnt orange, and khaki cargo shorts: then when a few guys in skinny jeans shows up everyone starts screaming and crying how the "hipsters" are taking over and how "skinny jeans" are bad. This is their idea of "tolerance". Then the random hippies you see are people who do not take showers, they do not wear deodorant, they have beards, and they smoke pot (most are Vietnam war veterans). The Austin culture is really in the dumps. I'm so so sorry to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Yeah but you still fail to see our points. DALLAS AND HOUSTON HAVE BIGGER ALTERNATIVE SCENES THAN AUSTIN!!! WE JUST HAVE BIGGER POPULATIONS TO WHERE THEY BLEND IN MORE. AS I SAID, I HAVE LIVED IN AUSTIN. I DIDN'T WANNA BASH ON AUSTIN BUT IT'S A BUNCH OF TALK. YOU MOVE THERE, THINK IT WILL BE GREAT, THEN YOU GET THERE AND REALIZE IT SUCKS. IT'S FULL OF FAKE HIPPIES THAT WEAR TOM'S, DRIVE SUV'S BUT STILL KEEP THEIR FIXED GEARS HANDY FOR THOSE WEEKLY GROUP RIDES. AUSTIN=FAKE

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-04-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM

96 posts, read 244,560 times
Default Just to echo...

Wow, not sure why everyone is throwing stats left and right... Some of y'all got some serious OCD issues. The reason why I made my recommendations was because of the impression I got from reading what his criteria was. From what I read, the OP was leaning towards the indie hipster stuff, didn't like the cowboy country thing, and didn't seem to be a hiphop head.

Why do we even need to disgust the population density of Travis county? homeinatx and TurtleCreek80 seem to be the only ones giving real advice. Everyone else is going into these density and diversity arguments. lol... Btw, Austin is unbelievably white if that really is an issue for you. And don't listen to artsyguy's overly biased garbage. Listening to his bait is equally as bad as believing Fox News to be a legitimate unbiased news source.

Also, in retrospect, I digress from my recommendation for Addison (which is in fact a very corny city). Others have clearly pointed areas like as Deep Ellum, and that is definitely the place to look into. I wasn't terribly impressed with the area, but that shouldn't stop you from checking it out.

Again, going by this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryzero View Post
I plan to reside in the central district (no more than 10-15 minutes from downtown), and I would appreciate a city with some green space, a downtown that isn't a ghost town on evenings/weekends, a good bar/music scene, some cool walkable areas of town
And this:
Quote:
Other than NYC, my favorite cities in the U.S. are Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago.
My recommendations are still:

In terms of city living & good night life (read: Not a ghost town at night):

Austin > Houston/Dallas

In terms of city amenities (the things that you would want/expect out of a city):
Dallas > Houston > Austin

In terms of cool city folk (people who aren't going to get upset with you for breathing & might invite you out to get a drink):
Houston > Austin > Dallas

Anyway, if you do plan on sticking with Dallas or Houston, then prepare to do more driving than you expected, and conversely, if you go with Austin don't be surprised that everything happening is confined to one tiny area.

Good luck, zero!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post

Anyway, if you do plan on sticking with Dallas or Houston, then prepare to do more driving than you expected....
The driving is really not bad if you live & work near downtown. My mom does and her 2003 car has like 30,000 miles on it from her 5 mile round-trip daily commute and a few road trips. I rarely ever see a wreck or a traffic jam IN Dallas - highways, notwithstanding, but you don't drive on the Tollroad or 75 if you live/work/play in the Loop 12 bubble. There is FAR more traffic in Plano when I run out to lunch during the work day.

PS- I think everyone is getting way too stuck on the concept of "downtown." even in Manhattan, downtown (Financial District) is DEAD at nights & on the weekends. The surrounding neighborhoods (Nolita, Lower East Side, Meatpacking, East Village, Williamsburg, Dumbo, etc) are where the activity is. I really don't think he'd be upset if downtown Dallas itself is dead, but the loop of neighborhoods .25- 2 miles away are cool. Don't be so technical.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
I know it well. Go there regularly. Yes, there is a CRU bar there as well, but the crowd is very different. Way less sophisticated in Austin than up in Plano. Also, it's a carmans dream up there! Mercedes, Bimmers, Porsches, and even Bentleys all over the place up there. THat whole Legacy north plano area is FILLED with nice cars. Dang, it's almost like being back in the bay area!!

Quote:
I suppose you haven't ventured over to the Domain in Austin. It's just like Legacy in Plano, complete with an AWESOME Cru wine bar (there's also another in downtown Austin).

Of course, being that it's in Austin, you're automatically predisposed to hate the Domain, even if it's really just like Legacy.

At least this sheds some light on the kind of expectations you have for nightlife, restaurants, etc.--cookie cutter, fake urban (i.e, suburban), and boring. It's no surprise you love North Dallas like you do.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
I avoid downtown Austin like the PLAGUE. You can't go ANYWHERE there without stupid inmature college kids ruining your experience. The Ginger Man caters BIG TIME to little kiddos. (like most other bars down there). The bars in Dallas and Plano are SO MUCH more upscale, cultured, and mature then the little college bars in Austin. How anyone over the age of 25 could enjoy themselves in downtown Austin is beyond me.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas