Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

I know there is much more class, nicer cars, and fashion sense in North Texas: it's a massively good culture shock going from Austin into North Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I know it well. Go there regularly. Yes, there is a CRU bar there as well, but the crowd is very different. Way less sophisticated in Austin than up in Plano. Also, it's a carmans dream up there! Mercedes, Bimmers, Porsches, and even Bentleys all over the place up there. THat whole Legacy north plano area is FILLED with nice cars. Dang, it's almost like being back in the bay area!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I totally agree with this analysis because I have been to Arkansas and Austin suburbs and overall Austin culture is just as slow, backwoods, Christian, and racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Let me tell you, that rural Mississippi and Arkansas have nothing on the Austin burbs. Truly a perfect combination of ultra religious, gas guzzlin, gun totin hillbillies!!!
And people ask WHY I goto Dallas 5 or 6 times per year.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 PM

228 posts, read 537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I totally agree with this analysis because I have been to Arkansas and Austin suburbs and overall Austin culture is just as slow, backwoods, Christian, and racist.
Wow, what a shock! You agree with eepstein's mindless Austin bashing.

These things are exactly true for the culture of Dallas, Houston, and anywhere else in Texas. Indeed, Dallas easily beats out the other Texas metros for being the most Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I know there is much more class, nicer cars, and fashion sense in North Texas: it's a massively good culture shock going from Austin into North Texas.
The only real "culture shock" between the two cities is due to the differences in size and amenities (i.e., the obvious jump from a mid-sized metropolitan area to a very large one).

As usual, you make a mockery of Dallas--this time for pretending it is a progressive, vibrant fashion mecca.

Despite eepstein's purposefully false comments, there are plenty of "classy," wealthy people with nice cars in Austin. On any per capita or per household basis, Austin has the wealthiest metropolitan area in the state (see: Dallas-Ft. Worth or just the Dallas side of DFW versus Austin). You just find more of these things in Dallas because it's a much larger city.

INdeed, you find a lot more superficial people in Dallas; "fake" and "superficial" are enduring trademarks of Dallas. Perhaps this is an element of the culture shock you speak of...

Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Glad to see the numbers don't lie, Austin is leading the tally by quite large margins...

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If he's looking for big city amenities plus the vibe of Austin then he would do well to go to the cooler neighborhoods of Dallas or Houston. I don't know if you can really say this about Montrose or the Heights in Houston, but when you are in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas/Lakewood, you get very localized and tend to forget that you are in one of the largest metros in the nation.
I would say more Heights than Montrose. Montrose gets too much auto traffic and has too many big buildings and stores.

but I agree, I would go for a more hip hood in a big city than go with Austin. Just too few amenities in Austin.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Yeah but you still fail to see our points. DALLAS AND HOUSTON HAVE BIGGER ALTERNATIVE SCENES THAN AUSTIN!!! WE JUST HAVE BIGGER POPULATIONS TO WHERE THEY BLEND IN MORE. AS I SAID, I HAVE LIVED IN AUSTIN. I DIDN'T WANNA BASH ON AUSTIN BUT IT'S A BUNCH OF TALK. YOU MOVE THERE, THINK IT WILL BE GREAT, THEN YOU GET THERE AND REALIZE IT SUCKS. IT'S FULL OF FAKE HIPPIES THAT WEAR TOM'S, DRIVE SUV'S BUT STILL KEEP THEIR FIXED GEARS HANDY FOR THOSE WEEKLY GROUP RIDES. AUSTIN=FAKE
^^^^^ those were my observations as well

its like two people going to see a movie that was good but not super. One never hearing anything about it and the other heard 100 people talk about it and 70 of the 100 saying how super it was.

The first one would probably come out saying it was indeed a good movie while the second would come out of it still waiting for the super parts.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post

1. Houston Hobby: 8.6 million
2. Austin-Bergstrom: 8.3 million
3. Dallas Love: 7.5 million
Quote:
"Nice try?" No, my post served its purpose successfully--to debunk what Htownlove said.
Actually you didn't debunk anything. I may have over estimated Love Airport by a lil, but your stats clearly show the secondary airport in Houston having a larger number than the primary airport in Austin. Nice try but you only provided stats to back up my point.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
You've received good advice -- don't expect it to be like NYC. There is nothing approaching that density any city in Texas.

I think you would be happy in any of the cities. Houston and Dallas are much larger than Austin, but their downtowns do go to sleep after dark and on the weekends -- kind of like Wall Street. Austin's downtown is more lively, but there is less to do in general in the city -- and it is geared for the college crowd. Houston and Dallas are more refined, where Austin is more laid back, outdoorsy and unashamedly unrefined.

In Dallas and Houston you will have to look just outside of downtown proper for the action, but both cities still have urban environments 10 minutes from downtown in the central city where you go to party. In Houston it is Midtown, the Galleria and Montrose. In Dallas it is Uptown, Oak Lawn and Knox-Henderson-Greenville. They are in the shadows of the skyscrapers and most outsiders would consider it "downtown" even though the city dwellers think differently. Most of the buildings are 2 to 20 stories in those areas. Not suburban, but not strictly the downtown financial districts either.

This Great despcription!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
^^^^^ those were my observations as well

its like two people going to see a movie that was good but not super. One never hearing anything about it and the other heard 100 people talk about it and 70 of the 100 saying how super it was.

The first one would probably come out saying it was indeed a good movie while the second would come out of it still waiting for the super parts.
And Houston would be comparable to people saying it's an average C+ movie but not thrilling, and 70 out of 100 came out saying that. Then, you go see the movie and the first one comes out saying the movie was ok (C+) but the second one comes out saying it was worse than even what they could have imagined (F).

I'd get bored within a month or so of living in Houston. I'd be longing for the Town Lake Trail to jog on, Barton Springs, and the Hill Country. I'd miss being able to get a drink outside at the Oasis overlooking the lake or eating at Hula Hut along the river. I'd even miss Rudy's (no Rudy's in Houston).

Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
If I told you we have a Ginger Man here in downtown Austin, would it ruin the experience for you? (With the benefit, of course, that it's not in Plano.)
And surprise!! There's one in Houston too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas