Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
...so my question is, how is it that the two of you managed to avoid bad neighborhoods elsewhere but not where you are now? In NO WAY is Houston more crime infested than most of those other cities you say you've lived in, so you really have no basis for blaming the entire city for your poor choice in residences. Houston more dangerous than Memphis and New Orleans? You can't be that delusional.

There are countless great, safe, clean, and very friendly areas of Houston. It's no one's fault but your own that you weren't able to find them.
We've never used a service before for relocation. There were 3 murders this past week within a half mile of our apartment. About 2 weeks ago there was a story about a man that chased another man up 59 and murdered him for his rims. This has all been within a 2-3 week timeframe. I've been around to most parts of Houston although I can honestly say that I've never been to Baytown but there's really no part of town that you can just stay on and not venture out and even if there was, Who wants that type of lifestyle ?

I'm sure if you lived in River Oaks and never left your neighborhood that you might be okay or if you lived in Katy and never came inside the beltway you'd be fine but seriously, turn on the news everynight. There is murder, rape, and robery in all parts of Houston almost daily.

Memphis and New Orleans have high murder rates but they're based on a per 100,000 people basis. According to the HCSO, There were 267 people murdered in Harris County in 2010. Also added was that the murders were not concentrated in any one part of the county

" Nelson said the murders were not concentrated in any particular area of the county but pretty evenly occurred across the sheriff's office's jurisdiction. "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7361368.html#ixzz1Qp31jQDj

In New Orleans, There were 175 murders. In Memphis, There were 89.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 PM

717 posts, read 898,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
We've never used a service before for relocation. There were 3 murders this past week within a half mile of our apartment. About 2 weeks ago there was a story about a man that chased another man up 59 and murdered him for his rims. This has all been within a 2-3 week timeframe. I've been around to most parts of Houston although I can honestly say that I've never been to Baytown but there's really no part of town that you can just stay on and not venture out and even if there was, Who wants that type of lifestyle ?

I'm sure if you lived in River Oaks and never left your neighborhood that you might be okay or if you lived in Katy and never came inside the beltway you'd be fine but seriously, turn on the news everynight. There is murder, rape, and robery in all parts of Houston almost daily.

Memphis and New Orleans have high murder rates but they're based on a per 100,000 people basis. According to the HCSO, There were 267 people murdered in Harris County in 2010. Also added was that the murders were not concentrated in any one part of the county

" Nelson said the murders were not concentrated in any particular area of the county but pretty evenly occurred across the sheriff's office's jurisdiction. "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7361368.html#ixzz1Qp31jQDj

In New Orleans, There were 175 murders. In Memphis, There were 89.
Do you realize how much smaller those two cities are than Houston? 267 metros isn't THAT much for a county of more than 3 million.

The point I'm making is that you wound up in a bad neighborhood. Period. Despite what you so blindly believe, every neighborhood in Houston is not rife with murder and rape. You can research the beat reports if you don't believe me.

Houston is a big city. Big cities have crime. If it freaks you out that much, and you honestly think that your statistics will protect you from that isolated incident in which you become someone's victim in a city that you deem to be so much safer than Houston, then go ahead and move there.

I'm sure you'll insist otherwise, but I'm pretty sure you're judging Houston from the view of your current neighborhood (which is obviously why you keep bringing up those 3 murders). If you had actually done some research yourself, you could have found a much much nicer part of town, and your view of the city wouldn't be so skewed.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 PM

FYI, the story about the murder over rims happened over two years ago. The news story you were recently hearing about was just the trial.

Houston man convicted in murder over car rims | khou.com Houston

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,427 times
Quote:
Do you realize how much smaller those two cities are than Houston? 267 metros isn't THAT much for a county of more than 3 million.

The point I'm making is that you wound up in a bad neighborhood. Period. Despite what you so blindly believe, every neighborhood in Houston is not rife with murder and rape. You can research the beat reports if you don't believe me.

Houston is a big city. Big cities have crime.
If it freaks you out that much, and you honestly think that your statistics will protect you from that isolated incident in which you become someone's victim in a city that you deem to be so much safer than Houston, then go ahead and move there.

I'm sure you'll insist otherwise, but I'm pretty sure you're judging Houston from the view of your current neighborhood (which is obviously why you keep bringing up those 3 murders). If you had actually done some research yourself, you could have found a much much nicer part of town, and your view of the city wouldn't be so skewed.
Exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Houston is a big city. Big cities have crime. If it freaks you out that much, and you honestly think that your statistics will protect you from that isolated incident in which you become someone's victim in a city that you deem to be so much safer than Houston, then go ahead and move there.
It's not about statistics Mr. Brown. I don't care how big the city is or how big the metro is. I grew up in a city (Tampa) that has a metro of close to 4 million. I don't like the assumption that because I moved here from a city that's smaller or that I want to move to a city that's smaller that I'm some kind of country bumpkin that can't handle city life. I've done my share of city living and no sir, I've never lived in a city where almost 300 people were murdered. I assume in a smug way you expect me to shrug off 300 murders because I don't live in Katy or River Oaks and hear gun shots every night on the account that it's normal, because I live in a "big city".

I'm not going to argue my points anymore. You want to argue that Houston is safe in "some" areas and not in others and that's fine. The HCSO said that the murders happened all over the county and not just in Greenspoint, Alief, and down by UH.

If you want to talk about big cities and crime, Lets compare Houston with New York.

Houston had 267 murders in 2010, New York had 523.

Houston (not the metro) has a population of 3.9M, New York has a population of 18.9M (22.2M metro)

Kinda makes it look like Houston is more dangerous then New York, doesn't it ?

Or how about Los Angeles ? Los Angeles had 291 murders in 2010 and a population of 9.8M (17.6M metro) ?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,427 times
Hahaha ..they have a better, more monied police force. Plus your statistics are not inclusive of other crimes. Not all crimes are murders... What is your point bumpkin?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's not about statistics Mr. Brown. I don't care how big the city is or how big the metro is. I grew up in a city (Tampa) that has a metro of close to 4 million. I don't like the assumption that because I moved here from a city that's smaller or that I want to move to a city that's smaller that I'm some kind of country bumpkin that can't handle city life. I've done my share of city living and no sir, I've never lived in a city where almost 300 people were murdered. I assume in a smug way you expect me to shrug off 300 murders because I don't live in Katy or River Oaks and hear gun shots every night on the account that it's normal, because I live in a "big city".

I'm not going to argue my points anymore. You want to argue that Houston is safe in "some" areas and not in others and that's fine. The HCSO said that the murders happened all over the county and not just in Greenspoint, Alief, and down by UH.
If you can't understand that Houston is larger than any of those other cities, and will thus have more crime, than I can't help you. People with a REAL aptitude for city living understand that there are good parts of a city, and there are your not so good parts. They understand that crime is a part of life. They know how to look into areas for themselves and find the neighborhood that best suits them. It's those people who don't know any better that just jump into a random neighborhood. You may not be a country bumpkin, but you're certainly acting like one.

I swear I'm trying so hard not to just clown you for making such a novice mistake. You have an income of like 80K, and you moved into the hood. Who does that? YOU failed to do the research, and now you're unhappy because of that. Your mistake. End of story.

Quote:
If you want to talk about big cities and crime, Lets compare Houston with New York.

Houston had 267 murders in 2010, New York had 523.

Houston (not the metro) has a population of 3.9M, New York has a population of 18.9M (22.2M metro)

Kinda makes it look like Houston is more dangerous then New York, doesn't it ?

Or how about Los Angeles ? Los Angeles had 291 murders in 2010 and a population of 9.8M (17.6M metro) ?
Houston is generally known for worse crime than both NY and LA. That's no secret. I'm not trying to say that Houston is the safest city, but you are trying to make it seem like the absolute worst. Convinced that your lopsided stats are fooling somebody. Most Houstonians who live in their safe and quiet neighborhoods would likely laugh at you.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm not arguing my position anymore Charlie Brown, Have a good night and by all means, Stay safe out there.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Exactly what I've been saying this whole time.
It's time for me to hit the hay. I just can't with this dude (lol).

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Greenspoint was nicknamed Gunspoint for a reason... bad part of town.

Of the most recent city crime rankings, Houston barely breaks in the top 50 overall. It's statistically safer than Baltimore, Memphis, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Buffalo, Kansas City, D.C., Cincinnati, Atlanta, Tulsa, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and well below all of the obvious like Detroit, St Louis, New Orleans, etc. It's typically similar or slightly lower than Dallas, depending on the year. But, we wouldn't want to let facts to get in the way of anything!
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas