Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

333 posts, read 635,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Especially when there are so many successful people who smoke with no problems.
This times a thousand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,502,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
This times a thousand
Yep. I know many very successful, well rounded people who toke up every so often. Just like I know many very successful people who drink every so often.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM

361 posts, read 856,942 times
There is a big difference between weed and alcohol in terms of how long it impairs. Alcohol leaves your system at about 1 drink per hour while the weed has a half life of 8 days.

If smoking it was legal would it then be ok for the heart or brain surgeon to smoke up before cutting you open; would it be ok for the pilot to smoke up before your flight? Just saying; and the list goes on!

I think all states have made it illegal to operate while high, it is generally part of the DWI law.

For those who think they need it for medical reasons, simply go to the doctor and ask for Marinol, it has the THC you get from the Marijuana and yes it is legal. Please google it so you can see for your self. What was odd is my niece has been a PA for several years and did not know it until I told her over a year ago. She looked it up and sure enough she could even prescribe it.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
There is a big difference between weed and alcohol in terms of how long it impairs. Alcohol leaves your system at about 1 drink per hour while the weed has a half life of 8 days.

If smoking it was legal would it then be ok for the heart or brain surgeon to smoke up before cutting you open; would it be ok for the pilot to smoke up before your flight? Just saying; and the list goes on!

I think all states have made it illegal to operate while high, it is generally part of the DWI law.

For those who think they need it for medical reasons, simply go to the doctor and ask for Marinol, it has the THC you get from the Marijuana and yes it is legal. Please google it so you can see for your self. What was odd is my niece has been a PA for several years and did not know it until I told her over a year ago. She looked it up and sure enough she could even prescribe it.
You can not be serious. You aren't high for eight days after smoking, first of all. It's only in your system. Second, do pilots get drunk before flying? Why would they get high before flying? There are places people work where they should not go high. Flying or operating on someone are two examples. A responsible pilot or doctor won't smoke or drink before flying or operating. Simple as that.

And the fact that Marinol is legal, even though it has THC in it, should be a big red flag to you. Why is the natural stuff illegal, but the synethic forms legal? I have an answer: because of the big money circle between the DEA and Big Pharma. Am I right?

[quote=Cowboybootnut;18179285]"But I know I'm not a reckless and unsafe driver when "under the influence of grass". It's not like I don't know what I'm doing. Unlike someone who is drunk, for example. The only messup I've had is that I put my car in park at a red light. I'm more aggresive when I'm not."

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 03-07-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were replying to was deleted

Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,806,877 times
I was going to go thru and reply to some posts but I'm tired. I'll just say that arguments for both sides make sense enough.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM

172 posts, read 409,734 times
Quote:
Don't drive all the way stoned then, or if you first started smoking. Simple. Treat being "GONE" like being too tired to drive. There have been many times where I have been too out of there to drive, so I'd sober up a bit. Wait an hour, then go get your munchies. . And who is proud? It's really not hard...

Some people have things called addictive personalities. There aren't any studies proving what you are saying. If it wasn't for weed, the people you have experience with would have found other things to occupy their time it seems (video games, television, etc.). You can't blame weed for that. Especially when there are so many successful people who smoke with no problems.

But I know I'm not a reckless and unsafe driver when "under the influence of grass". It's not like I don't know what I'm doing. Unlike someone who is drunk, for example. The only messup I've had is that I put my car in park at a red light. I'm more aggresive when I'm not.
Driving under the influence should result in a dui!

I'm sorry I'm all for legalizing marijuana. But do you really hope to win arguments by telling people you drive stoned? You might want to keep that info to yourself. With that said having been high before I will say being stoned is not nearly as imparing as drunk. But marijuana does slow down motor skills and what happens if someone goes and smokes a quarter by themselves? Are they going to be A okay to drive? Heck no!

Driving under the influence of any drug is stupid

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 PM

53 posts, read 207,277 times
Quote:
Yeah, they classify it as a DUI (driving under the influence), but how is a cop going to know someone is high while driving? You can easily spot out the drunk drivers, but the high driver could be next to you banging Bob Marley and you wouldn't even know. The only way they'd catch someone is if they were speeding and their eyes were red. Visine takes care of that.

No, it's DWI. DUI is for minors. Cops who are trained as DRE's can spot many different drugs, including weed.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM

53 posts, read 207,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not DWI, it would have to be DUI, plus I've never gotten a DUI and I've been in some altercations that the officers know of my influence and let me go. I've never heard of a DUI given for being under the influence of marijuana.
DUI is for minors, only states alcohol and is found in the Alcoholic Beverage Code. DWI includes weed among other things and is found in the penal code.

Quote:
49.04. DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person is intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle in a public place.

"Intoxicated" means:
(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or
(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.
Quote:
106.041. DRIVING OR OPERATING WATERCRAFT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL BY MINOR.
(a) A minor commits an offense if the minor operates a motor vehicle in a public place, or a watercraft, while having any detectable amount of alcohol in the minor's system.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
(c) If it is shown at the trial of the defendant that the defendant is a minor who is not a child and who has been previously convicted at least twice of an offense under this section, the offense is punishable by:

Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
Driving under the influence should result in a dui!

I'm sorry I'm all for legalizing marijuana. But do you really hope to win arguments by telling people you drive stoned? You might want to keep that info to yourself. With that said having been high before I will say being stoned is not nearly as imparing as drunk. But marijuana does slow down motor skills and what happens if someone goes and smokes a quarter by themselves? Are they going to be A okay to drive? Heck no!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xJrRQHCAg

Quote:
NORML's Paul Armentano has prepared a scientific review of over a dozen studies evaluating marijuana's effect on psychomotor skills and the risks posed by marijuana intoxication behind the wheel. Armentano finds that marijuana impairment is generally "subtle and short-lived," falling far short of the threats posed by drunk driving.
Although acute cannabis intoxication following smoking has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment is seldom severe or long lasting. In closed course and driving simulator studies, marijuana’s acute effects on psychomotor performance include minor impairments in tracking (eye movement control) and reaction time, as well as variation in lateral positioning, headway (drivers under the influence of cannabis tend to follow less closely to the vehicle in front of them), and speed (drivers tend to decrease speed following cannabis inhalation). In general, these variations in driving behavior are noticeably less consistent or pronounced than the impairments exhibited by subjects under the influence of alcohol. Also, unlike subjects impaired by alcohol, individuals under the influence of cannabis tend to be aware of their impairment and try to compensate for it accordingly, either by driving more cautiously or by expressing an unwillingness to drive altogether. [see original for citations]
Of course, the point here isn’t that one should get stoned and cruise the strip blasting Led Zeppelin. But this is information one would want if they were trying to create a smart marijuana policy as opposed to the disgraceful mess of legislative lunacy currently passing for marijuana law in America.
The Truth About Driving When You're High on Marijuana | StoptheDrugWar.org

I'm not saying get stoned off your ass and go try to drive. That's just dumb and would be the equivalent to driving too tired. But, if you're just buzzed, there shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're a bad driver sober. You realize how serious the situation is (driving). You concentrate, instead of trying to fidget with all the things in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
Like caffeine. Those crazy coffee drivers in the morning get on my nerves.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,806,877 times
Quote:
The Truth About Driving When You're High on Marijuana | StoptheDrugWar.org

I'm not saying get stoned off your ass and go try to drive. That's just dumb and would be the equivalent to driving too tired. But, if you're just buzzed, there shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're a bad driver sober. You realize how serious the situation is (driving). You concentrate, instead of trying to fidget with all the things in your car.
Yeah, but c'mon now, Scarface. You know they are going to be people trying to drive while fully high. Especially novices who don't know their limitations.

How is it not fair for there to be penalties for driving while high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas