U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM

11,432 posts, read 17,968,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Was your claim in excess of $100? If not, the State of Texas does not assess a fee. If so, they keep 1.5% of the claim amount.

If you somehow get duped into granting "agency" to one of these scam operations, they will hit you with an enormous "finders fee". Total ripoff that preys on people who are not aware of how easy this is.
what do you mean when you say "claiming agency"? Most of us have gone directly thru the gov't website claimittexas.org. It is the State comptroller's Dept. There is no mention of a fee on the website.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,303,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
what do you mean when you say "claiming agency"? Most of us have gone directly thru the gov't website claimittexas.org. It is the State comptroller's Dept. There is no mention of a fee on the website.
The website actually does mention a fee.

Look under the heading "Is there a charge for this service" towards the bottom of the page.

Texas Unclaimed Property - Reclaiming Your Property

"Claiming agency" : At one time (if not still) there were people who were in the business of checking the unclaimed property rolls. If they encountered individuals with a sizeable amount in the custody of the state they would attempt to find a current address and send out a letter saying something to the effect of "You have money in unclaimed property. I would be happy to retrieve it for you if you give me 20%." It was a total scam.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 PM

11,432 posts, read 17,968,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The website actually does mention a fee.

Look under the heading "Is there a charge for this service" towards the bottom of the page.

Texas Unclaimed Property - Reclaiming Your Property

"Claiming agency" : At one time (if not still) there were people who were in the business of checking the unclaimed property rolls. If they encountered individuals with a sizeable amount in the custody of the state they would attempt to find a current address and send out a letter saying something to the effect of "You have money in unclaimed property. I would be happy to retrieve it for you if you give me 20%." It was a total scam.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. In all the excitement, I failed to see that. this is another one of those fees that pop up due to our No State income tax status.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 34,681 times
A good friend of mine told me about the site and yes it is real! I saw that I had money and so did my husband, sent in the paper work asked and I call the 512site number just to make sure I did it right and the guy approved all them claims for me and even saw I had more money from an old job that didn't show on the site. So if u want to double check call the number and give them ur ss# and will look deeper then what the site does. Oh and u will get ur check faster too

Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

135 posts, read 292,640 times
Default Great Website

Thanx to the OP for this information. However, no money was waiting for me....just checked. But, someone with the same name as myself has .40 cents coming to them! Haha!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 28,695 times
Good morning, I live in Santiago Chile and I am retiree for American Airlines that had money at Credit Union. They have just tell me that my account was closed due inactivity and the money was tranfer to State of Texas. [mod cut]please kindly help me.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 08-13-2015 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: For your safety I removed name and contact info

Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM

14,675 posts, read 32,403,362 times
Go to the web site to see how to claim your money. Probably best not to post your real name and an email address, in case someone else tries to claim it for you :/.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM

366 posts, read 451,105 times
HA! I just found that I'm owed $25. Thanks for the info

Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM

233 posts, read 229,859 times
Yes! Believe it or not I got several hundred dollars in the year 2000 by looking at that site! Back when it was just me and my dial-up connection. I had a few hundred dollars left from contributions when I worked for H-E-B back in the day and had no idea. I had moved a few times and I guess they could never send me the money. It worked.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM

657 posts, read 667,894 times
Site is gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>