Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 PM

304 posts, read 1,122,490 times

Advertisements

I don't want to hog this site, but as I stated in a post titled "Education", we all learn so much from one another. We noticed many homes did not have rain gutters on them when we looked for homes in Corpus. I am assuming gutters would be almost a must with a roof of over 2,500 sq ft (without the garage roof added), to protect ground saturation around the foundation. With heavy rains of late in TX and the rains one would get from a hurricane, not having gutters around the house I would guess would cause some water problems, even possible flooding into the home (garage for sure). In MN, homes are raised off the ground by at least a foot or two, but in TX the homes are so close to the ground (cement block or poured wall foundation vs cement slab).
We are curious about hurricane shutters. Only 2 of the 25 homes we looked at included hurricane shutters. I realize there are various types, but what is the cost range for shutters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
Can't answer the question about gutters, but can give you some info about hurricane shutters. We've always just placed plywood on our windows when a hurricane was projected to hit our area. That's all there was to it for us. Now, I believe Home Depot has some new items out on the market that makes it much easier. I'll let someone else chime in.

P.S> You guys in MN don't use fences. How do you do that? :0P

Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Default change of pace

It is just very rare to see privacy fences. Many homeowners plant trees,shrubs or flower gardens along their lot lines, but privacy fences are far and few between (unless their yard backs up to a busy street or a commercial property. Guess we like to see and chat with our neighbors. Stray dogs are so rare here as well. Your dog is on a leash or is taught to stay in their own yard. We couldnt believe how many stray dogs we saw in various areas of town in Corpus.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM

679 posts, read 2,824,292 times
I was born in Illinois and raised in Indiana. They didn't have privacy fences, either. You could run from one back yard to the next and all the yards were wide open spaces. Wonderful to see anytime I've traveled back home. Made me realized what I was missing in all of the land and openness. Always made me yearn to get back to that. When I lived in Indiana, I always yearned to live in the country (I lived in the city). I then moved to California. I remember going back home and saying, " I DID live in the country...I just didn't know it". Compared to Cali, the city I lived in WAS the country. Even though I do plan to put up some shrubs on my land, for privacy, I don't plan on fencing it.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Default changeofpace

I have traveled all over the northern part of the country and to LA and most states in the central part of the US. The privacy fence seems to be a FL and TX thing. Never saw that many privacy fences in OK either. I just dont get it. Like I said on a previous post, it seems so confining and unfriendly. Also reminds me of the mentality that this is mine, stay off of it, dont cross this line, this is my yard. Not to mention the cost of installing, maintaining and eventually replacing the fence. If your yard is small, the fence makes it seem even smaller. There were a dozen homes we loved until we walked out the back door and there was the fence. No thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,732,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I don't want to hog this site, but as I stated in a post titled "Education", we all learn so much from one another. We noticed many homes did not have rain gutters on them when we looked for homes in Corpus. I am assuming gutters would be almost a must with a roof of over 2,500 sq ft (without the garage roof added), to protect ground saturation around the foundation. With heavy rains of late in TX and the rains one would get from a hurricane, not having gutters around the house I would guess would cause some water problems, even possible flooding into the home (garage for sure). In MN, homes are raised off the ground by at least a foot or two, but in TX the homes are so close to the ground (cement block or poured wall foundation vs cement slab).
We are curious about hurricane shutters. Only 2 of the 25 homes we looked at included hurricane shutters. I realize there are various types, but what is the cost range for shutters?
I don't know why they don't put gutters on the houses when they build them but I do think you need them. We added ours after the first big rain because it was a mess without gutters... also look into soaker hoses if nobody has told you this already. We didn't bother with hurricane shutters, we did the same as TexasNick. Cut the plywood to fit and label which goes to what window (you'd be surprised how close some of the sizes can be and not be the same and when your in a hurry it is a pain if they aren't labeled.) We stored the cut plywood in an overhead rack in the garage and used these clips to mount it... PLYLOX 87198 PLYLOX WINDSTORM WINDOW CLIPS
What we liked about these is you don't have to drill holes in your house. The "drawback" is that your wood has to be cut perfectly or they won't fit.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Default changeofpace

Great, thanks, appreciate the help.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
About the fences--when I visit my aunts in Wisconsin, it's always fun to sit in their backyard because it's surrounded by trees/shrubs and no fences. However, my uncle has his house right up to his neighbor and he has no fence, but I think I would not want to be that open. I like a little privacy in my backyard and am pleased with my fence here in Texas. But i see your point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas