Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most conservative city in Texas?
Austin 5 3.47%
Dallas 29 20.14%
El Paso 4 2.78%
Fort Worth 82 56.94%
Houston 12 8.33%
San Antonio 12 8.33%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,766 times

Advertisements

I'd have to agree with the general list provided by other members.

Most conservative to least:
1 - Fort Worth
2 - San Antonio (distant 2nd.. this city has gotten much more liberal since I've moved here)
3 - Houston
4 - Dallas
5 - Austin
6 - El Paso

Houston and Dallas is a tossup for me, but from my visits, I do get a slightly more conservative vibe from Houston than I do Dallas. From reading the thread, I'm not exactly sure what Catholicism has to due with being liberal or conservative... there's a fairly indistinguishable split among presidential preferences based on polling withing the Catholic community.

President to Catholic Press: On the Catholic Divide | Blogs | NCRegister.com

Catholics may have a higher percentage of voters who vote for the left-leaning candidate than more evangelical denominations of the Christian church, but again, there is no definitive lean in either direction. Additionally, if the Catholic population had anything to do with how liberal/conservative a city is, San Antonio would clearly be ranked to be more liberal. Almost everyone agrees it's the 2nd most conservative city on the list.

I'm also not so sure why it's such a big deal if one perceives a city to be more conservative than the other. We're in Texas.. things are generally more conservative here than they are in many other places. Debate arguing what city in Texas is more conservative or liberal amounts to an inaccurate nitpicking contests with ridiculous metrics like the Catholic population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What can you not comprehend about that?
Do you not know how to read?

Both posts I've had on the subject made it clear that I was only comparing the cities of Dallas and Houston. The percentage of Catholics in both is very similar and it's a non issue. I said explicitly that when we are talking greater Houston vs. DFW that Greater Houston was a lot more catholic.

By the way, there are actually slightly more Africans and Indians in the DFW area than greater Houston, so that is irrelevant. And whats more, most Indians and Africans are not catholic. I dont even know why you brought them up.

Anyway since most Catholics are socially conservative, that's not a way to prove one is more liberal than another.

If the next thing you plan to write has to do with Catholicism, save your energy. This is extremely irrlevant.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 03-09-2011 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Warning for the thread: Stick to the topic or the thread will be closed. The topic is "Most conservative large city in Texas." If you want to do a large city smackdown, use another thread for that.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Houston is the most conservative. Although Dallas was where Norma McCorvey was denied an abortion after she was raped, Houston is the place John Lawrence was arrested in for cornholing his little chicken.

Although Dallas didn't like killing babies, that was ages ago and understandable, but arrested two guys in this day and age (less than 15 years ago) for a little rump in the sack is unconscionable for a major city.

That make Houston the most conservative and prudish. That would make Houston the most conservative in my book.

PS: for those of you who are going to take me serious, I am just being silly, please don't write a dissertation trying to disprove my post.

on a side note, I am shocked that Illinois (1962)was the first state to get rid of anti sodomy laws and that Alaska (1980), Colorado(1972), Nebraska (1978), the Dakotas(1973 AND 1978) and the most conservative state (Wyoming 1977) got rid of their anti sodomy laws before one of the most liberal state- (Massachusetts 2002) who got rid of theirs just a few years before Lawrence struck down Texas's law (2003).

Yes Massachusetts, look down on Texas when you were in the same boat the year before.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM

198 posts, read 499,349 times
Most Conservative to Least
1 - Fort Worth
2 - San Antonio
3 - Houston
4 - Dallas
5 - El Paso
6 - Austin

Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Do you not know how to read?

Both posts I've had on the subject made it clear that I was only comparing the cities of Dallas and Houston. The percentage of Catholics in both is very similar and it's a non issue. I said explicitly that when we are talking greater Houston vs. DFW that Greater Houston was a lot more catholic.

By the way, there are actually slightly more Africans and Indians in the DFW area than greater Houston, so that is irrelevant. And whats more, most Indians and Africans are not catholic. I dont even know why you brought them up.

Anyway since most Catholics are socially conservative, that's not a way to prove one is more liberal than another.

If the next thing you plan to write has to do with Catholicism, save your energy. This is extremely irrlevant.
Houston has more Nigerians man. As far as Indians they're about equal & Houston has more Pakistanis.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has more Nigerians man. As far as Indians they're about equal & Houston has more Pakistanis.
You said Africans not Nigerians. Also, when taking South Asians overall, Greater Houston and DFW are virtually dead even at about 100k as of 2007. And yes Im aware that number is larger for both in 2011.

Born in Africa, 2007
New York 214,341
Washington DC 185,255
Boston 85,662
Los Angeles 72,620
Atlanta 64,870
Dallas 50,105
Houston 47,746
Chicago 46,189
Philadelphia 44,171
San Francisco 39,294
Miami 18,787
Detroit 15,513

Born in India, 2007
New York 289,980
San Francisco 134,995
Chicago 108,911
Los Angeles 85,577
Washington DC 78,445
Philadelphia 50,583
Dallas 49,669
Boston 45,688
Detroit 41,884
Atlanta 41,081
Houston 40,862
Miami 13,032

These are estimates, but they hold both to the same standard. Take them with a grain of salt, but we have to hold both the same standard.

But that isnt even my point you said: "There are just way too many Creoles/Cajuns, Africans, Indians, Filipinos, Vietnamese, & Hispanics in Houston compared to Dallas."

You are so transparent man. As if I cant figure out that you were taking an irelevant stab at Dallas. You were talking about which one was more Catholic and you tried to prove it by pointing out a bunch of ethnicities that arent even Catholic (save Hispanics and Filipinos). It had nothing to do with anything. Catholicism doesnt even have to do with anything relating to this topic.

It would be like if I said "Dallas is so much more liberal than Houston because there are so many more Korean and Thai residents", it makes no sense.

Call a spade a spade. Yes, we get Greater Houston is more diverse and more catholic than DFW. But what the hell does that have to do with anything on this topic? You know damn well Dallas isnt the most conservative large city in the state and I am well aware that Houston is not either.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM

448 posts, read 918,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
Most Conservative to Least
1 - Fort Worth
2 - San Antonio
3 - Houston
4 - Dallas
5 - El Paso
6 - Austin
San Antonio has voted Democratic in the last 5 elections for mayor. And most recently, SA voted Democratic in Govenors race. While Dallas & Fort Worth both voted Republican. So which city is most conservative?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
3 people picked Austin as Conservative???? REALLY???

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM

198 posts, read 499,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
San Antonio has voted Democratic in the last 5 elections for mayor. And most recently, SA voted Democratic in Govenors race. While Dallas & Fort Worth both voted Republican. So which city is most conservative?
Uh, I listed Fort Worth as the most conservative.

And Dallas most certainly did not vote Republican in the governor's election.

The 2010 Results Maps - POLITICO.com

Dallas County was 55.3% for Bill White, whereas Bexar County was only 48.9%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas