Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 PM

13 posts, read 14,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweeter View Post
Hate everything! Going back to Australia.
Hey Schweeter... can feel your pain as a displaced expat ... sounds like a long yarn over a beer could be just what the doctor ordered.

Just wanted to let you know that there is a growing group of Australians In The USA who are networking & working together to bring together the community of Aussie (& Kiwi) expats across the US...

We have a facebook page for our national network - search: "Australians In The USA"

There you will find a list of our "geographically relevant / convenient" groups throughout the USA - one for each and every US state - including TEXAS !

See you there mate - cheers !
Darren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 AM

674 posts, read 1,530,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
The only true desert anywhere in the state of Texas would be the Trans-Pecos region of far-West TX. Even there not all of it is desert. Mainly just Presidio, Hudspeth, and El Paso counties. If I remember correctly, an area must have an average annual precipitation of 12 inches or less to truly qualify as "desert".

Averages between 1961 and 1990 for Austin: 31.9 inches
Averages between 1911 and 2008 for Lubbock: 18.56 inches
Doesn't El Paso get less than 10 inches annually?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM

753 posts, read 1,476,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommytruth View Post
What I like about Texas is that there are not a lot of rude, obnoxious N.E. people here, especially Italians. What I dislike--actually hate--is the large number of right wing wackos here who try to force their views on eveybody else. Listen to a talk radio show here, those callers need to be locked up.
Oh man, my FM radio on my car went out for like 6 months and all there was to listen to was the AM talk shows. It was scary.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM

61 posts, read 141,660 times
Just moved to houston from NY...Haven't had any dislikes yet.. My family's Quality of life has jumped 110% , all the people [ neighbor's..ect ] we have met or come in contact with have been awesome. I'm on the same page as TexasReb...[ love the response on page 3 ] real happy to get away from all the bleeding Liberals in NY...lol ...as far as complaining about the heat...isn't that why we made a thing called POOLS??

Bueller

Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 AM

674 posts, read 1,530,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Oh man, my FM radio on my car went out for like 6 months and all there was to listen to was the AM talk shows. It was scary.
Yeah they can be a real trip!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM

3,242 posts, read 5,577,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller427 View Post
Just moved to houston from NY...Haven't had any dislikes yet.. My family's Quality of life has jumped 110% , all the people [ neighbor's..ect ] we have met or come in contact with have been awesome. I'm on the same page as TexasReb...[ love the response on page 3 ] real happy to get away from all the bleeding Liberals in NY...lol ...as far as complaining about the heat...isn't that why we made a thing called POOLS??

Bueller

Excellent attitude and a rep from me! Lived in Texas much of my life but did spend 1.5 years in New England(maintained my residence here though) ... there are some cold (hearted) people there.

I do love upstate NY though outside of the winter ... absolutely beautiful country!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM

3,242 posts, read 5,577,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Yeah they can be a real trip!
Just for balance ... I listen to only progressive Christian music and political and sports talk radio ... all on XM.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,339,035 times
minimal public transportation, even in cities like austin. i wish texas had as much organized public transportation as cleveland, OH

Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,060,927 times
The lack of high majestic mountains here in East Texas

Other than that, this state rocks!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,060,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The self-obsession of Texans with Texanism and Texas is truly absurdly hyperbolic and I say that as someone who once suffered from that disease myself. There's a difference between pride in and affection for the place that one calls home on the one hand and uncritical and hubristic jingoism on the other. Too many Texans, and certainly on this forum, too often appear to display too much of the latter rather than the former. It turns Texans into an unpleasant stereotype and brings disrepute on the people of the Lone Star State.

It is about 100 times more tolerable than up in New York

Having grown up in that state, I have never seen a state full of blowhard, provincial self congratulating idiots as there are up there

They think they invented education, healthcare and tolerance up there and think no other state exists

I am so glad to be down here after growing up in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas