Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Oooh, TexasHorseLady, girl detective! I spend half of the year in NJ and half in San Antonio, where my family moved in 1965 when I was a kid. Is that long enough for me to have an opinion? I've also owned a dozen or so properties in San Antonio and Austin over the years, so I have plenty of first-hand experience with Texas property taxes.
Thanks for clarifying that - it appeared from your other posts that you had moved away from Texas a long time ago and nothing about when you arrived.

For the record, everyone has an opinion. But far too many people try to decide for others things that have a major impact on others but not on themselves, or move somewhere and and then promptly try to make it over into where they came from no matter what the long time residents think or want.

So, where would you be paying state income taxes in your situation if, as you desire, Texas had an income tax? Property taxes clearly you pay in both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
Pass

Old 10-16-2016, 12:23 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,985,068 times
This is an old - and frankly a dumb - thread. I moved from TX to a state that has income tax, and it sucks! I don't have the energy now to go into details, but can't wait to get back to TX or another state that doesn't have income tax. It's complete nonsense.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:14 PM

439 posts, read 432,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
This is an old - and frankly a dumb - thread. I moved from TX to a state that has income tax, and it sucks! I don't have the energy now to go into details, but can't wait to get back to TX or another state that doesn't have income tax. It's complete nonsense.
It isn't a dumb thread. Issues like this need to be discussed out in the open. It is so difficult grasping how the idea of equality is a false virtue that has long cheated the majority. We are being sold an empty package of goods today for the idea of equality outside of it. They are even producing commercials nowadays marketing beer in the name of equality.

Everything has become a joke. As we don't produce anything beyond a lot of jerks working in a service industry, the world views us as a nation of stooges.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,943,562 times
Taxation is by definition theft

Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,181,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
NO it isn't.

You need to review a few basics of political science. People vote, over and over, for governments that impose taxation, because they like the things taxation provides. You can argue, reasonably, whether particular taxes, or particular expenditures, should be undertaken or not (in general, just to be clear where I'm coming form, I support lowering of taxes and of government expenditures), but a blanket statement like the above is just idiotic.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,071,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
This is, well sort of a grey area. Technically, theft doesn't have to be illegal by definition, depending on what source you ask. Theft can just require a lack of permission, and some could argue that people, who may nonetheless benefit from government spending but never vote in support of taxes and were born into a jurisdiction, are coerced into giving "permission."

Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,985,068 times
Since moving into a worthless state that has income taxes, I've had to give away thousands of dollars of earned income (in just a few years) that I would have kept while in Texas. And if I made more money, and/or have lived here longer, it would be in the tens of thousands of money lost. And for what? I see no sign of that money going anywhere useful. I've investigated, searched, looked high and low, and found no details.

So to the pro-income tax folks: do you like giving away your money to others for no apparent gain? That's what it amounts to. It's like someone reaching into your wallet or getting into your bank account, removing the money, and going off with it in no apparently definable or traceable way. It's legalized theft. Just because it's law doesn't make it ethical and justified. You also have to believe and trust that governments will spend your money better and more smartly than you do. If you buy into that, then you're a naive little puppet and do deserve to have your money taken from you.

The longer one lives in a state with income tax, the more agonizing it gets, watching more money get lost each year and see the total go up. Bravo to the states that don't resort to such theft, and don't exude self-righteous control over our money in these ways.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-17-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM

439 posts, read 432,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
NO it isn't.

You need to review a few basics of political science. People vote, over and over, for governments that impose taxation, because they like the things taxation provides. You can argue, reasonably, whether particular taxes, or particular expenditures, should be undertaken or not (in general, just to be clear where I'm coming form, I support lowering of taxes and of government expenditures), but a blanket statement like the above is just idiotic.
LOL. Don't start digging unless you are willing to bury yourself digging to hell.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,025,519 times
All I know is that the less I pay in taxes, the higher my quality of life is.

So I'll stand with the good ol' Constitution of the Great State of Texas and vote "Forget it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas