Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Another ludicrous comparison: Cars endanger my health, should the government limit the amount of miles someone can drive per month? There are more important things for the government to be focusing on than banning smoking in a bar, its a BAR, people smoke and drink there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
Uh, no. Loud music damages the hearing. That's been known since the 60's.
I never said it didn't. However, bad hearing won't kill you. Cancer will.

Quote:
It's now known that alcohol causes cancer, though.
No, it doesn't "cause" cancer, not in the same sense as smoking. It's a contributing factor though. And consumption of alcohol is already regulated in bars and restaurants.

Quote:
Drinking and driving still kills thousands annually.
Did anyone say differently? I don't think so. However, there is no correlation between raising prices and falling use. Alcohol costs a ridiculous amount at concerts and sporting events, yet it doesn't stop people.

Plus, the government can't simply dictate a price, it would have to be in the form of higher taxes.

Quote:
One way to cut down on drinking and driving is to have the police patrol inside bars for Public Intoxication. After all, a bar is a Public Place, so if you get drunk in a bar you would be intoxicated in a Public Place, and therefore could go to jail for Public Intoxication.
You would agree with that wouldn't you? Since you agree that bars are Public Places and not private?[/quote]

They already sit outside bars and wait for people to leave. The TABC already tried to the "public intoxication" route....it's technically the law.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
When did they make it illegal to run naked along the freeway?
they just did last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Smoking is disgusting. Maybe we could just flog smokers instead?
I'm with that, let me go dig out my paddle. turn around, I don't want you to see where I stash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Speaking of personal freedom, I can't believe I'm not allowed to smoke my marijuana and crack in public restaurants. Not having a choice = tyranny. Vote with your money. If you don't like the smell of my crack or your kids getting high from second hand smoke, eat elsewhere.
isn't that awful, shame on the naughty government for not letting you crack up work your crack in public. lol, it is funny how some people think just because they are allowed to do something it is an unalienable right. Go on with y'alls bad selves, that is the Texas obstinate mentality we are known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Getting back to the topic at hand, how many of you took the time to contact your legislators about this nonsense of a proposed bill? I did within ten minutes of first reading the thread.
I tried to contact mine to make sure she is fully on board with this, but she is always brown nosing and trying to get invited to places she has no right being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Yes, smoke in your house or car. But when you get to sell either one, be prepared to do some work and/or spend some money to eliminate the stench. People don't want to smell the results of your nasty habit.
cigarette smell is like cat poop, once it latches on good luck getting it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Another ludicrous comparison: Cars endanger my health, should the government limit the amount of miles someone can drive per month? There are more important things for the government to be focusing on than banning smoking in a bar, its a BAR, people smoke and drink there.
cars don't endanger your health, the people driving them do. that is why cigarettes are not being banned, just public smokers

Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 PM

89 posts, read 203,340 times
[quote=getmeoutofhere;18495446]

You would agree with that wouldn't you? Since you agree that bars are Public Places and not private?

He was totally being sarcastic saying that bars are a "public place".

I totally believe that bars and restaurants are private, and should not be subject to all that extra regulation.

I get the argument. Drinking alcohol & eating fatty foods only affect the person who do these activities. Secondhand smoke can harm others, so there should be no smoking in public.

You consider a restaurant or bar a public place, so it is only natural that smoking be banned. I just do not agree with that. A place may be open to the public, but that does not automatically make a public place. Smoking can make a restaurant an undesirable & unhealthy place to eat. But, some believe they should have the right to go into that restaurant without being exposed to smoke. Well, it should be up to that restaurant owner to decide whether or not to ban smoking. After all, it is his restaurant. Smoking isn't illegal.

My big point is that there is too much regulation in general. The government has been stripping away personal freedom and personal responsibility. Instead of saying,"I have the right to go into that restaurant and not be exposed to smoke", we should be saying,"I choose not to spend my money at that restaurant that allows smoking." The second quote emphasizes personal freedom and responsibility.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTant View Post
He was totally being sarcastic saying that bars are a "public place".

I totally believe that bars and restaurants are private, and should not be subject to all that extra regulation.

I get the argument. Drinking alcohol & eating fatty foods only affect the person who do these activities. Secondhand smoke can harm others, so there should be no smoking in public.

You consider a restaurant or bar a public place, so it is only natural that smoking be banned. I just do not agree with that. A place may be open to the public, but that does not automatically make a public place. Smoking can make a restaurant an undesirable & unhealthy place to eat. But, some believe they should have the right to go into that restaurant without being exposed to smoke. Well, it should be up to that restaurant owner to decide whether or not to ban smoking. After all, it is his restaurant. Smoking isn't illegal.

My big point is that there is too much regulation in general. The government has been stripping away personal freedom and personal responsibility. Instead of saying,"I have the right to go into that restaurant and not be exposed to smoke", we should be saying,"I choose not to spend my money at that restaurant that allows smoking." The second quote emphasizes personal freedom and responsibility.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. Bars and restaurants are not private places.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
cars don't endanger your health, the people driving them do. that is why cigarettes are not being banned, just public smokers
The people don't fart out the CO that the cars do.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The people don't fart out the CO that the cars do.
then go write your congressman asking for more research on the harm done by smoke exhaust, they certainly are not talking about it in the media

Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

243 posts, read 279,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I never said it didn't. However, bad hearing won't kill you. Cancer will.

No, it doesn't "cause" cancer, not in the same sense as smoking. It's a contributing factor though. And consumption of alcohol is already regulated in bars and restaurants.

Did anyone say differently? I don't think so. However, there is no correlation between raising prices and falling use. Alcohol costs a ridiculous amount at concerts and sporting events, yet it doesn't stop people.

Plus, the government can't simply dictate a price, it would have to be in the form of higher taxes.

You would agree with that wouldn't you? Since you agree that bars are Public Places and not private?

They already sit outside bars and wait for people to leave. The TABC already tried to the "public intoxication" route....it's technically the law.[/quote]

I want to know of you would be in favor or a sound ordinance regulating the music volume of a bar down to safe level.

Consumption of alcohol may be regulated in bars but people still get drunk in bars and that's illegal. You are right, the TABC were putting undercover cops in bars looking for drunk patrons. You would be in favor of bringing that back right? Since a bar is a Public Place, getting drunk in a bar is Public Intoxication.

Raising cigarette prices has resulted in decreased smoking rates. Obviously raising alcohol prices would have the same effect.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM

243 posts, read 279,336 times
" Instead of saying,"I have the right to go into that restaurant and not be exposed to smoke", we should be saying,"I choose not to spend my money at that restaurant that allows smoking." The second quote emphasizes personal freedom and responsibility."

Absolutely right.

How many restaurants are left that allow smoking anyway?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
" Instead of saying,"I have the right to go into that restaurant and not be exposed to smoke", we should be saying,"I choose not to spend my money at that restaurant that allows smoking." The second quote emphasizes personal freedom and responsibility."

Absolutely right.

How many restaurants are left that allow smoking anyway?
Its Bars that are on the war front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas