U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I might be relocating to Texarkana and I have been searching all over the internet to find a house to rent. Is there not a lot of rental property there? I have been reading older posts from different threads and have come to the conclusion that we need to stay in the Pleasant Grove school district. We have three kids, one special needs, so schools are very important. Not thrilled about moving from the Austin area, but the offer may be too good to pass up. I have only seen 3 or 4 houses for rent online. Craigslist offers nothing. We hope to do a long term lease (3 years) as I hope and pray we are not there long enough to need to buy. Is there any new construction being built in the area? Sometimes when houses aren't selling on the market builders will rent them out.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 27,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medfam5 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I might be relocating to Texarkana and I have been searching all over the internet to find a house to rent. Is there not a lot of rental property there? I have been reading older posts from different threads and have come to the conclusion that we need to stay in the Pleasant Grove school district. We have three kids, one special needs, so schools are very important. Not thrilled about moving from the Austin area, but the offer may be too good to pass up. I have only seen 3 or 4 houses for rent online. Craigslist offers nothing. We hope to do a long term lease (3 years) as I hope and pray we are not there long enough to need to buy. Is there any new construction being built in the area? Sometimes when houses aren't selling on the market builders will rent them out.

Thanks.
I have not been on this forum for a while. I read your post and wondered if you have relocated. My husband and I have lived in Texarkana for over 3 years now and I am so happy that we will be moving soon. I have not liked it at all. It's kind of a dud town. We live in a nice part of town on the Arkansas side and had our house for sale for 6 months. We had someone contact us out of the blue to see if we would be interested in renting it out, so we did. I wish I could say I think you'll like Texarkana but I don't see how anyone does. Most people that stay in Texarkana are here because they were born here and all their family is here. It is a very clickish town. It took me 5 months to find an entry level secretarial job.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medfam5 View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Texarkana is not as bad as you may hear from some. Remember, on the internet you will hear more from disgruntled people about a place/product/service than you will from people who are satisfied. A lot of curmudgeons gravitate to the interent.

Like anywhere, the area does have it's pluses & negatives depending on who you are, what you like/don't like, lifestyle, etc. - and depending on what part of town you are in. Pleasant Grove area where I live for example is a safe & wonderful place to raise children. Excellent schools, some very nice churches, youth sports league, etc

As to rentals - I do know that rentals are pretty dear in Texarkana right now for houses suitable for families in the better areas of town - a lot of people just like you having gotten positions at St Michaels, Red River, etc and thinking they will just be here for a few years.

Personally, I think it's outrageous some of the rents being asked for duplexes & single family homes near the nicer residential areas - most of which are older and not that well kept up. Supply & Demand I guess. I'm no expert, but I think there have been some IRS changes the past couple of years that make having rental property a less lucrative investment for some.

There are some very nice newer apartment complexes on Richmond road you might want to look into if you are interested in an apartment. "Legacy at Pleasant Grove" and "Arista Apartments".

I have a beautiful house for sale here (see the CityData Classifieds section) and I bet I've had a dozen inquiries this year from professional people who wanted to know if I would rent/lease and were willing to pay a sizeable rent - like many with houses for sale here, though, we are just not interested in becoming landlords and not under any pressure to move.

I've been here 11 years & from what I can see Texarkana is poised for a a lot of growth when the economy starts to recover (whenever that will be) - so you might want to give some consideration to buying. The new Texas A&M campus is coming along ... they already have one dorm up & holding classes out there (expected to be 12,000 to 15,000 students I think) ... and when that get's in full swing I foresee a bit of a boom for the city and probably a few new large employers. A lot of new retail is in along I-30 & ground is already cleared for a lot more. Texarkana was ranked by Forbes magazine as one of the top small metro areas for growth just a couple years ago before the recession hit.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM

674 posts, read 1,405,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mov View Post
Texarkana is not as bad as you may hear from some. Remember, on the internet you will hear more from disgruntled people about a place/product/service than you will from people who are satisfied. A lot of curmudgeons gravitate to the interent.

Like anywhere, the area does have it's pluses & negatives depending on who you are, what you like/don't like, lifestyle, etc. - and depending on what part of town you are in. Pleasant Grove area where I live for example is a safe & wonderful place to raise children. Excellent schools, some very nice churches, youth sports league, etc

As to rentals - I do know that rentals are pretty dear in Texarkana right now for houses suitable for families in the better areas of town - a lot of people just like you having gotten positions at St Michaels, Red River, etc and thinking they will just be here for a few years.

Personally, I think it's outrageous some of the rents being asked for duplexes & single family homes near the nicer residential areas - most of which are older and not that well kept up. Supply & Demand I guess. I'm no expert, but I think there have been some IRS changes the past couple of years that make having rental property a less lucrative investment for some.

There are some very nice newer apartment complexes on Richmond road you might want to look into if you are interested in an apartment. "Legacy at Pleasant Grove" and "Arista Apartments".

I have a beautiful house for sale here (see the CityData Classifieds section) and I bet I've had a dozen inquiries this year from professional people who wanted to know if I would rent/lease and were willing to pay a sizeable rent - like many with houses for sale here, though, we are just not interested in becoming landlords and not under any pressure to move.

I've been here 11 years & from what I can see Texarkana is poised for a a lot of growth when the economy starts to recover (whenever that will be) - so you might want to give some consideration to buying. The new Texas A&M campus is coming along ... they already have one dorm up & holding classes out there (expected to be 12,000 to 15,000 students I think) ... and when that get's in full swing I foresee a bit of a boom for the city and probably a few new large employers. A lot of new retail is in along I-30 & ground is already cleared for a lot more. Texarkana was ranked by Forbes magazine as one of the top small metro areas for growth just a couple years ago before the recession hit.
Right and don't forget about the new University of Arkansas Community College that will be built and TexAmericas Center that's being developed on the old Lone Star Plant and said to soon be the largest industrial park in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas