Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times

Advertisements

I agree it would take a long time to fill the entire state up with people. But, there are other issues besides just space. Off and on, we have always had water "issues" and we best think about that too. "Texas's population of about 24.3 million is expected to hit about 45.5 million by 2060, and the water supply can not come close to keeping pace"< a quote from homeland security.

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...ning-out-water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I agree it would take a long time to fill the entire state up with people. But, there are other issues besides just space. Off and on, we have always had water "issues" and we best think about that too. "Texas's population of about 24.3 million is expected to hit about 45.5 million by 2060, and the water supply can not come close to keeping pace"< a quote from homeland security.

Texas running out of water | Homeland Security News Wire
Besides congestion and pollution that is another of my concerns. It isn't simply about space...it's about what can this state's resources support? Then again if we get into the resource argument, we'd probably need 10 Earths if every person on Earth wanted to live an American lifestyle...but that is another argument for another thread!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,836 times
Hell yes, too damn crowded!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,626,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
you mean just like when all those Americans moved to Texas when it was part of Mexico and didn't bother learning the language?

Or is it okay when we do it?
As I recall didnt we WIN that war?? Therefore we didnt have to learn their language.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Besides congestion and pollution that is another of my concerns. It isn't simply about space...it's about what can this state's resources support? Then again if we get into the resource argument, we'd probably need 10 Earths if every person on Earth wanted to live an American lifestyle...but that is another argument for another thread!!!!!
I bet Texas will build a pipeline from the Mississippi River to East Texas the way that California built a pipeline from the Colorado River to LA. Louisiana always has plenty of water, in New Orleans their water supply is the Mississippi River. Their saying is that "the whole country would have to be in a drought for us to not have potable water."

I suspect that Louisiana may become more favorable for living in 2045 than Texas is. By then, I presume Houston would have eaten up the Beaumont metro area and people may be flocking to Louisiana where the abundant rivers, streams, bayous, and other wetlands provide almost an infinite supply of water. I can envision commuters commuting from Lake Charles to the outskirts of Houston (Beaumont in 2045).

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
This is an interesting map. I guess they foresee that there will be these "mega regions". In this case they lump Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas into the "TX triangle". Interesting viewpoint.

http://www.america2050.org/images/20...ns2008_150.png

Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
In a word, YES. There are way too many people in the state now!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
As I recall didnt we WIN that war?? Therefore we didnt have to learn their language.
you mean when the united states invaded a sovereign nation and took half their nation... all because they felt it was their god given duty to spread the american government from atlantic to pacific... at any cost?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
If you're a native of Texas, I would be interested in your opinion--do you smile or frown about all of the people moving to our state?

Yes, I'm happy we have economic growth, but I wish there weren't quite so many people moving here.

same song been playing as far back as I can remember in the early 60's ....

particularly when we had the huge migration from the rust belt in the mid to late 70's to early 80's .......

Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,704,597 times
I flew a little Piper Cub across many parts of Texas last year and I was amazed at how much empty land there was. Once you get away from the cities it is very desolate. Even flying between Fredericksburg to Waco, over pristine rivers and lush trees, there was not much out there in terms of houses.

It is good that it feels crowded to some. That means the cities are doing their job--keeping people and resources in centralized locations. Can you imagine if there were no cities and people were instead spread all over the state? That would feel very crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas