Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM

64 posts, read 180,627 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I might be moving to Amarillo. Anything anyone can tell me is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM

9 posts, read 23,418 times
Have you done a 'search' on this forum for Amarillo? There are many recent threads about it. BTW....what's going on there??? Lots of people have been saying they are moving there lately.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 PM

89 posts, read 203,291 times
I know George Strait made it there by morning. All the way from San Antonio. Other than that, I got nothing.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
etx

49 posts, read 105,897 times
I'm heading there this week. Its on our very short list for relocation to Texas. I'd be happy to let you know what I think when we get back!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
George Strait sings a song about it

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Could you give us more specifics as to what you want to know?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM

112 posts, read 166,117 times
I've been in Amarillo for 18 years. Grew up in southwest OH, moved to NH for 7 years. Amarillo is ok--pretty good economy and low housing costs compared to most other areas, so that's why the influx of people. Largest industry is healthcare, banks, and schools. We have a huge Bell Helicopter plant here that is always growing--it's where they build the Osprey's. Also Pantex is here--federal nuclear clearing house--not sure what all they do out there but I do know they do weapons rehab. Also have a Owen's Corning fiberglass plant. Mostly I just hate the landscape around here--brown & flat. It's a very family oriented place, very Bible-belt--most people go to church and their social life may revolve around that. Parents are pretty active in the schools here, at least in the southwest area of town. It's not a great place if you're single--probably not much to do, especially if you're an older single person who is divorce--hard to meet opposites, in my opinion. I would love to move from here after my son graduates from high school.
Schools are pretty good, again, I'd stick with the south/southwest side of town. Canyon is also nice and good schools.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 35,512 times
jenny,

A lovely place to live, IMHO. I lived in Dallas for almost 2 years a promptly moved back. No traffic, friendly, easy-going, and the best sunsets you'll find!

I'd agree with srszee on what they put about areas of town and employers, but disagree that the place is ugly. The flat, open spaces have the beauty and peace of a vast ocean. There is not near as much dust as Lubbock, though the wind does blow quite a bit. No worries, though - if you get sick of the weather, wait a couple of days and it'll change. We definitely have 4 seasons here.

The arts scene is pretty dang good for a city our size. Plains Historical Museum in Canyon, Amarillo Art Museum, American Quarter Horse Museum, Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts, and the fun little art center at Sunset Center are all fantastic places to go.

Not to mention the beautiful and accessible Palo Duro Canyon and all the local dives at which to eat. There are also numerous city-wide events throughout the year that are fun to go to, such as the Chamber BBQ held in downtown.

I could go on and on but am short on time. Do you want to know anything more specific?

-dengar22

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...llo-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/income/inco...llo-Texas.html

Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 AM
etx

49 posts, read 105,897 times
I hear what people are saying about it being flat, but honestly every day we were there all I saw was the bluest clearest sky for miles around, beautiful if you ask me! I really like the city, so did my children. We went to church, several stores, downtown, the childrens museum, medical park, the big texan, the zoo, palo duro canyon, caddilac ranch, the horse museum, and more Im probably forgetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas