Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Santa Rita was a geographical place name in Reagan County, where the well was originally sunk in 1923. It was moved to Austin, and retained it's original name. Originally called Santa Rita, for the The Patron Saint of the Impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Originally called Santa Rita, for the The Patron Saint of the Impossible.
Since you've answered the question, I'll chip in a bit more about the actual naming of the well. The group of investors who funded the drilling efforts for the well included a number of Catholic nuns, and according to various sources, it was they who named the well after the patron saint of the impossible.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Santa Rita was a geographical place name in Reagan County, where the well was originally sunk in 1923. It was moved to Austin, and retained it's original name. Originally called Santa Rita, for the The Patron Saint of the Impossible.
You got some of it correct, go ahead and ask the next question.

Here is the story according to the UT System website.

Board For Lease

Quote:
Why Santa Rita? Mr. Frank Pickrell was one of the partners responsible for the drilling of the Santa Rita No. 1. The reason for the name "Santa Rita" is best told in Frank Pickrell's own words:
"The name of Santa Rita really originated in New York. Some of the stock salesmen had encouraged a group of Catholic women to invest in the Group I certificates. These women became a little worried about the wisdom of their investment and consulted with their priest. He apparently was also somewhat skeptical and suggested that the women invoke the aid of Santa Rita, who was the patron saint of the impossible. As I was leaving New York on one of my subsequent trips to the field, two of these women handed me a sealed envelope and told me that the envelope contained a red rose that had been blessed by the priest in the name of the saint. The women asked me to take the rose back to Texas with me -- to climb to the top of the derrick and scatter the rose petals, which by then were dry, over the rig and to say 'I hereby christen thee Santa Rita'. I faithfully followed those instructions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Since you've answered the question, I'll chip in a bit more about the actual naming of the well. The group of investors who funded the drilling efforts for the well included a number of Catholic nuns, and according to various sources, it was they who named the well after the patron saint of the impossible.
They were investors, but I see nothing above indicating they were nun's.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
They were investors, but I see nothing above indicating they were nun's.
I could be wrong on that point. My memory isn't what it once was, if it ever was much good! Probably has something to do with all those petroleum fumes I breathed while working 32 years in the industry. But I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were nuns.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Next question:

There is a well-known fruit that could be grown commercially in Texas's agri-climate, except for the fact that it requires a certan insect for pollination, and that insect is absent in Texas. What is the fruit, and what is the insect?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Next question:

There is a well-known fruit that could be grown commercially in Texas's agri-climate, except for the fact that it requires a certan insect for pollination, and that insect is absent in Texas. What is the fruit, and what is the insect?
Hint: This is a familiar fruit with a familiar name, that can be raised in Texas, but only in very limited quantities because it requires manual field-labor pollination. As fresh fruits, they are very rare in Texas, because they have a very short shelf life after picking. They are more commonly found here in forms other than fresh.

If you've ever had a good fresh one picked off a tree, you will remember it forever as one of your favorite fruits.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Hint: This is a familiar fruit with a familiar name, that can be raised in Texas, but only in very limited quantities because it requires manual field-labor pollination. As fresh fruits, they are very rare in Texas, because they have a very short shelf life after picking. They are more commonly found here in forms other than fresh.

If you've ever had a good fresh one picked off a tree, you will remember it forever as one of your favorite fruits.
I am going to risk being laughed off this thread! LOL However, I am going to plunge ahead and quess..."grapefruit"...?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
I'm VERY curious as to what this fruit is, too......I'm really stumped!!

TR...nope, not grapefruit. The Texas Rio Grande Valley is famous for growing Texas Ruby Red, and it's also the state fruit (1993).

Texas State Fruit - Texas Red Grapefruit

I can't imagine what it is....it could be something we call a vegetable, but is technically a fruit, maybe??

Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I'm VERY curious as to what this fruit is, too......I'm really stumped!!

TR...nope, not grapefruit. The Texas Rio Grande Valley is famous for growing Texas Ruby Red, and it's also the state fruit (1993).

Texas State Fruit - Texas Red Grapefruit

I can't imagine what it is....it could be something we call a vegetable, but is technically a fruit, maybe??
Hell, Texas sis Cathy, I am just going to give up and await the answer! LOL

Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hell, Texas sis Cathy, I am just going to give up and await the answer! LOL
I think I am at that point, too....when whoever tells us the answer, we're probably gonna go..."Oh...yeah......THAT fruit," LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas