Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Clarification of your question, do you mean the highest above surrounding terrain, or highest above sea level?
Too early to give another hint - so for now it's simply the highest within the state.

NO, it's not the San Jacinto Monument. That would be TOO obvious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
We still don't know whether "highest" means highest above sea level (like in the Guadalupe Mountains), or highest above average terrain (like a tall structure). Please address this confusion.

------------

OK, then, 1958, top of Guadalupe Peak.

http://www.dallasnews.com/travel/get...as-history.ece

Last edited by jtur88; 10-18-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:

OK, then, 1958, top of Guadalupe Peak.
Yes. I thought of this question when I posed the one before this about the Overland Stage route. I noticed some criticisms of the fact that American Airlines has "commercialized" a site in a Nat. Park, but that fails to recognize that the monument was placed long before the area was declared a National Park.

Quote:
What in Texas is higher than the summit of Guadalupe Peak? This mountain in far West Texas is the tallest in the state, at 8,751 feet above sea level. But the 6-foot-tall, stainless steel monument jutting from the top of it is taller.

The three-sided pyramid was placed atop the mountain by American Airlines in 1958, before the park was created. It honors the 100th anniversary of the Butterfield Overland Mail, which ran through the area, as well as the airline’s pilots who pioneered airmail service in the United States. If you make it to the top of the peak, sign the log, which is in a container at the base of the monument.
I had thought that there was a monument on the mountain to commemorate those who have died when planes crashed into that peak in years past, but can't find any added information in that regard. Also, for those who might be interested, there is a well maintained trail to the peak that takes a full 8-hour day to round-trip for the "average" person in good physical condition. A big surprise to some is that the trail rises high enough to change ecological zones, including passing through groves of juniper and ponderosa pine trees after leaving behind the Chihuahuan desert zone. There is a waterless camp site about 2/3 of the way to the peak, maintained by the park service.

Your turn again JTur...

Last edited by joqua; 10-19-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM

An unusual and prestigious apartment building in Dallas was originally built as a factory to produce one of America's most well-known products---a product no longer made, but fondly remembered as an icon of the era. It was later converted to another kind of factory, the name of which is still used to identify the building. What is the current name of this apartment building, and what was originally manufactured there?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
P.S. in regard to Guadalupe Peak, lothartheterribel previously posted this photo of the monument here in the Texas Trivia thread.

Quote:
An unusual and prestigious apartment building in Dallas was originally built as a factory to produce one of America's most well-known products---a product no longer made, but fondly remembered as an icon of the era. It was later converted to another kind of factory, the name of which is still used to identify the building. What is the current name of this apartment building, and what was originally manufactured there?
Adam Hats Luxury Lofts in Deep Ellum, Model T Ford, several Adam Hats signs remains on the building.
Quote:
In 1914, Henry Ford selected Deep Ellum as the site for one of his earliest automobile plants. Designed by architect John Graham, who designed many regional facilities for Ford during the early 1900s, the building was constructed as an assembly plant for Ford’s famous Model T. The plant remained in this location at 2700 Canton Street until the mid-1930s; Adam Hats moved into the four-story brick and terra cotta structure in 1959. The Dallas Landmark was converted to loft apartments in 1997, giving new life—and adding yet another layer of history to the building.
Attached Thumbnails
Texas Trivia-adam-hats.jpg  

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-19-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Excellent. Model T Fords in the Adam Hat Building. Your turn.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM

When I first started searching for that answer I had the impression the building was called the Deep Ellum Lofts, but I was wrong, the neighborhood is called Deep Ellum and has a long history.

Deep Ellum became distinguished as a prime jazz and blues hotspot in the South. Artists such as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter, and Bessie Smith played in Deep Ellum clubs like The Harlem and The Palace.

In 1937, a columnist described Deep Ellum as:
Quote:
...[the] one spot in the city that needs no daylight saving time because there is no bedtime...[It is] the only place recorded on earth where business, religion, hoodooism, gambling and stealing goes on at the same time without friction...Last Saturday a prophet held the best audience in this 'Madison Square Garden' in announcing that Jesus Christ would come to Dallas in person in 1939. At the same time a pickpocket was lifting a week's wages from another guy's pocket, who stood with open mouth to hear the prophecy.
At the time, you could find gun and locksmith shops, clothing stores, the Cotton Club, tattoo studios, barber-shops, pawn shops, drugstores, tea rooms, loan offices, domino halls, pool halls, and walk-up hotels. On its sidewalks you could find pigeon droppers, reefer men, craps shooters, card sharps, and sellers of cocaine and marijuana.
Sometime around World War I, Leadbelly and Blind Lemon Jefferson got together and began composing folk tunes, with Dallas often in the lyrics.

In a song called "Take A Whiff On Me":

Walked up Ellum an' I come down Main,
Tryin' to bum a nickel jes' to buy cocaine.
Ho, Ho, baby, take a whiff on me.

There is another blues song about Deep Ellum, what is its name and where does it recommend you keep your money?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM

108 posts, read 196,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There is another blues song about Deep Ellum, what is its name and where does it recommend you keep your money?
I would prefer a blues aficionado answer this rather than me, but, oh well.

The song is Deep Ellum Blues by Grateful Dead. There are actually two suggestions for where to put your money, both your shoes and your pants.

"If you go down to deep elem put your money in your shoes
The women in deep elem they give you the deep elem blues

Oh, sweet mama, your daddys got them deep elem blues

Once I had a girlfriend, she meant the world to me
She went down to deep elem, now she aint what she used to be

Once I knew a preacher, preached the Bible thru and thru
He went down to deep elem, now his preaching days are thru

When you go down to deep elem to have a little fun,
Have your ten dollars ready when the police man comes

When you go down to deep elem put your money in your pants
Cause the women in deep elem they dont give a man a chance

Oh, sweet mama, your daddys got them deep elem blues."

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
I would prefer a blues aficionado answer this rather than me, but, oh well.

The song is Deep Ellum Blues by Grateful Dead. There are actually two suggestions for where to put your money, both your shoes and your pants.

"If you go down to deep elem put your money in your shoes
The women in deep elem they give you the deep elem blues

Oh, sweet mama, your daddys got them deep elem blues

Once I had a girlfriend, she meant the world to me
She went down to deep elem, now she aint what she used to be

Once I knew a preacher, preached the Bible thru and thru
He went down to deep elem, now his preaching days are thru

When you go down to deep elem to have a little fun,
Have your ten dollars ready when the police man comes

When you go down to deep elem put your money in your pants
Cause the women in deep elem they dont give a man a chance

Oh, sweet mama, your daddys got them deep elem blues."
LOL Good job! I will accept your version of the song, apparently their are several.

Your turn to ask the next question.

Quote:
Deep Ellum, Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Another song about Deep Ellum, "Deep Ellum Blues", included:

When you go down on Deep Ellum,
Put your money in your socks
'Cause them Women on Deep Ellum
Sho' will throw you on the rocks. (chorus)
Oh, sweet mama, your daddy's got them Deep Ellum Blues.
Oh, sweet mama, your daddy's got them Deep Ellum Blues.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 AM

108 posts, read 196,545 times
Apparently that was a popular song. Just found this: Deep Elm Blues - Wikisource

Song: Deep Elm Blues
Writer: Anonymous

The Deep Elm Blues is an american traditional song. The title of the tune refers to the "Colored Red Light District" in Dallas, Texas, known as "Elm Street". Sometimes the song's title is also spelled "Deep Elem". The first known recording was made by the Cofer Brothers under the name of The Georgia Black Bottom on OKeh Records. The Shelton Brothers recorded various version of this song, the first beeing cut in 1933 with Leon Chappelear under the pseudonym of Lone Star Rangers for Bluebird Records. They recorded it again in 1935 for Decca Records followed by Deep Elm No.2 and Deep Elm No.3. The Sheltons also recorded it in the 1940s as Deep Elm Boogie for King Records. Other versions of the song were made between 1957 and 1958 by Jerry Lee Lewis for Sun Records, by Mary McCoy & the Cyclones for Jin Records and by Grateful Dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas