Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
The answer is Dime Box, Texas. It got it's name from the way settlers sent mail by deposting a letter and dime in a box in the office of Joseph S Brown who owned the local sawmill that the community was built around.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld25

Dime Box was originally called Browns Mill. It originated between 1869 and 1877, when a settler built a sawmill near what is now State Highway 21. Records suggest that the mill's builder was Joseph S. Brown. A Union School opened in January 1874. The school later housed the local Presbyterian church, which was one of the earliest of this denomination in the state. Until a government post office opened in 1877, settlers deposited outgoing mail and a dime in a small box inside Brown's office for a weekly delivery to Giddings. The Brown's Mill post office closed in December 1883. When it reopened the following spring, frequent confusion of Brown's Mill with Brownsville had caused the town to be renamed Dime Box. In 1913, when the Southern Pacific Railroad built a line three miles southeast of Dime Box, the original settlement became Old Dime Box, and the new railroad station became Dime Box.
You hit it square dead center Chanygirl, your turn.

Maybe I should have withheld that first hint.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-12-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,723 times
Thank CptnRn,
Here's my question and it should be very easy...
There is controversy brewing as we speak in Henderson County!
What town is involved and what is the controversy!

There will be no hints....

Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Thank CptnRn,
Here's my question and it should be very easy...
There is controversy brewing as we speak in Henderson County!
What town is involved and what is the controversy!

There will be no hints....
Henderson County, Athens, TX has refused to remove the nativity scene from the lawn of the county courthouse after receiving a threatening letter from the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Texas County Stands up to Atheist Group Over Nativity Scene (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/10155-texas-county-stands-up-to-atheist-group-over-nativity-scene - broken link)

Quote:
The response of Henderson County Commissioner Joe Hall was stronger still. “I’ll tell you this — I’m going to fight this until hell freezes over,” Hall told Fox News, adding, “It’s been up there for decades without any complaints.”

Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 AM

Correct CptnRn!! Sorry it took so long to reply but I had another engagement.. Work. It's your turn Cptn.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Made in Texas by Texans. This manufacturer makes an award winning product, that is a 12 time world champion in its field. What is the product?

Hint:

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Toyota trucks, for one thing, according to an ad I saw on TV last night, with many awards by J D Power and Associates.

Bond Arms Derringer handguns also made the same promotional claim.

Lucchesi Boots and Texas Boots and Leather have both made the same claim, for their snakeskin boots.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Toyota trucks, for one thing, according to an ad I saw on TV last night, with many awards by J D Power and Associates.

Bond Arms Derringer handguns also made the same promotional claim.

Lucchesi Boots and Texas Boots and Leather have both made the same claim, for their snakeskin boots.
The Bond Arms Snake Slayer is the one I had in mind.

Quote:
Bond Arms Snake Slayer | Bond Arms inc
This is the original Snake
Slayer which is the ultimate
concealable .410 shotshell/.45Colt pistol
for people that need a larger grip. The
extended grip provides extra comfort without
detracting from concealability. The
Snake Slayer will accept all the extra
interchangeable barrels.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Next question:

This man was a surveyor, who laid out the townsite that would later bear his name. He was one of the first settlers in what is now one of the state's most populous counties. The town has now been incorpoated into a larger nearby city. He was also the great-grandfather of a boy who would make the family name even more famous, by becoming one of the greatest and best known athletes in America.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Next question:

This man was a surveyor, who laid out the townsite that would later bear his name. He was one of the first settlers in what is now one of the state's most populous counties. The town has now been incorpoated into a larger nearby city. He was also the great-grandfather of a boy who would make the family name even more famous, by becoming one of the greatest and best known athletes in America.
I believe you are describing John Richardson Harris, who between 1824 and 1825 established the town which came to be known as Harrisburg, TX in Eastern Harris County. The area is also known as Manchester, now part of Houston. He hired a surveyor, Francis W. Johnson, to lay out the town in 1826.

HARRISBURG, TX (HARRIS COUNTY) | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Quote:
HARRISBURG, TEXAS (Harris County). Harrisburg (Harrisburgh), on the right bank of Buffalo Bayou in eastern Harris County, was established before 1825 on the survey of New York entrepreneur John Richardson Harris. In 1826 Francis W. Johnson surveyed the town, and Harris formally named it Harrisburg, in honor, no doubt, of himself, as well as of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, which had been founded by and named for his great-grandfather.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Please excuse my ignorance I know nothing of sports....and, I realize it wasn't part of the question..but who was the "boy who would make the family name even more famous, by becoming one of the greatest and best known athletes in America." ?? Just curious because I was using that as a search tool..morbid curiosity really..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas