Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
OK, Your turn TexasReb
What is the significance of the Treaty Oak, and where is it located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Once you said that it had a similar name to Orange Blossom Special, I did think of Midnight Special, but like TR, I remember the song as a Johnny Rivers hit. I still had no clue to the meaning, so I couldn't have provided a complete answer!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Austin, TX...
Quote:
According to popular local folklore and the inscription on the plaque at the tree's base, in the 1830s, Stephen F. Austin, the leader of the Austin Colony, met local Native Americans in the grove to negotiate and sign Texas' first boundary treaty after two children and a local judge had been killed in raids. No historical documentation exists to support this event actually taking place. Folklore also holds that Sam Houston rested beneath the Treaty Oak after his expulsion from the Governor's office at the start of Texas' involvement in the American Civil War.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Once you said that it had a similar name to Orange Blossom Special, I did think of Midnight Special...
I had been guessing it was:

The Ballad of Casey Jones (http://www.trainweb.org/caseyjones/song.html - broken link)

Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I know it all too well, so I will let someone else answer this.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I had been guessing it was:

The Ballad of Casey Jones (http://www.trainweb.org/caseyjones/song.html - broken link)

LOL!! It's been a LONG time since I've heard that one!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Austin, TX...
Quote:
According to popular local folklore and the inscription on the plaque at the tree's base, in the 1830s, Stephen F. Austin, the leader of the Austin Colony, met local Native Americans in the grove to negotiate and sign Texas' first boundary treaty after two children and a local judge had been killed in raids. No historical documentation exists to support this event actually taking place. Folklore also holds that Sam Houston rested beneath the Treaty Oak after his expulsion from the Governor's office at the start of Texas' involvement in the American Civil War.
Ohh, I see you did answer it correct. I can verify that it is your turn.

There is more about the Treaty Oak here:

City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department - Treaty Oak History

Quote:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]The Treaty Oak is a living symbol of history. For five centuries it has survived searing summers, dusty droughts and whistling winds, and has drawn it sustenance from the very depths of Texas soil. It is the last survivor of a grove of fourteen trees known to local Indians as the Council Oaks. The original inhabitants of the area regarded it as a Tree-God. It was a temple of worship for the Comanches and Tonkawa. In the shade of the oak's wide spreading branches, the Native Americans would meet to dance the war dances, smoke the peace pipe, and celebrate feasts and religious ceremonies. Myths and magic surrounded the tree. Tejas Indians believed that a brew from the acorns mixed with wild honey brought back from battle the lovers to maidens who drank the potion.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I am very familiar with the Treaty Oak. At one point a man tried to poison the tree, parts of it died off and were removed in an effort to save the tree. When we built the New City Hall in Austin. We designed the new City Council dias to include wood trim fashioned from some of those parts of the Treaty Oak. The trim on the dias tops where council members would sit and be most likely to touch it, was fashioned out of Treaty Oak wood in hopes that some of the wisdom and history of that ancient tree would benefit them.

I was happy to see that it is still possible to buy saplings grown from the acorns of Treaty Oak.

- Texas Treaty Live Oak - The Historic Tree Nursery Store!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Most forgotten sculptor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Ohh, I see you did answer it correct. I can verify that it is your turn.
Okay. Who is probably one of the most neglected and yet most prolific sculptors of Texas fame? What was his name, where did he come from and where in Texas did he live?

Hint: He was famous in his time and created the following lasting works.

Terry's Texas Ranger equestrian monument at state capitol.
Famous figures on the campus of UT Austin, including George Washington.
Littlefield Fountain - signature sculpture of UT Austin.
The white marble monument to Heroes of the Alamo in front of the Alamo.
Monumental statues of historic Texans at the state fair grounds museum.
And many more monuments scattered around the state - more in San Antonio than anywhere.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Pompeo Coppini, from Italy. He lived in San Antonio. His protegee, Miss Waldine Tauch, from Schulenberg, is perhaps an even more fascinating Texan.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Assuming that my answer was correct, here is another one about a sculptor:

Another immigrant sculptor created one large, conspicuous statue in every state in the union and province in Canada. Who was he, where was he from, what is the unifying subject of all of his series of sculptures, and where is the one in Texas?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-27-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas